Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mercury Bar Sign « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know what has happened to the Mercury Bar sign? It has been missing for awhile now; I would hate to hear that it was stolen or scrapped!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe John Lopez took it down and sold it? Wherever it's gone, I think it's safe to say it's gone forever.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is currently work going on at what will soon be the mercury coffee bar, and i bet its whereabouts can be tied to that.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Gravity. I woulda just gotten on top of a van with a Sharpie and written COFFEE on the sign. :-)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercury Coffee Bar: Opening St. Patrick's Day 2007 wooo! Just some good natured barbs. I've been waiting years on this place.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13544
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet they are RE-WORKING it to read the Mercury Coffee Bar...

Gannon

Post Number: 13545
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, you beat me to it, Doyle!

(must learn to type faster...)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad its not hanging on my garage.It was there last time i went to Cubs and made it rain.Also wonder what happened to the Mercury Motel sign in Dearborn.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I saw a 'basic white' guy on a latter with a wrench tinkering with it. Perhaps he was a preppy copper thief...or perhaps he worked at the place...you make the call!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama 08

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7138
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, are you snitchin' on someone??

... priceless...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps you should get over your racist spiel because, perhaps, it's mostly inaccurate and annoying

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw a 'basic white' guy on a latter with a wrench tinkering with it. Perhaps he was a preppy copper thief

well, which was he, basic or preppy?

during my daily wait at the light at michigan/14th/vernor yesterday, i noticed the wires for the sign were neatly tucked around the pillar under the signs normal hang out. if it were an act of scrappers, there wouldn't be any wiring left.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he was on a latter, what was he on previously?

-from another basic white guy.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A former managing partner from Zingerman's Deli is opening a coffee shop in that space. A local developer friend of mine (probably the 'basic white guy') has been helping to renovate the space.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/mercury12808.aspx

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard (don't know whether this is true or not) that the place was set to open up not too long ago. However one of the Cooley brothers bought the place and is gutting it to suit their tastes. Once finished it will open as the Mercury Coffee Bar.

Any validity to this?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2940
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mercury Coffee Bar: Opening St. Patrick's Day 2007 wooo! Just some good natured barbs. I've been waiting years on this place."

"About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I saw a 'basic white' guy on a latter with a wrench tinkering with it. Perhaps he was a preppy copper thief...or perhaps he worked at the place...you make the call!"

Now THAT & THAT'S Hilarious! :-)

*Disclaimer: This person is not racist, so don't falsely accuse him of anything.*

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 23, 2008)

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt, see the link I posted above. As far as I know, Phil Cooley doesn't actually own the space, but he's helping develop it along with the guy who used to be a partner at Zingerman's Deli (Ann Arbor).

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will he be using the sign?

I mean those who are opening the coffee shop...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ basic white guy

Gannon

Post Number: 13566
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Cooley'd get a kick out of that...heh.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I heard (don't know whether this is true or not) that the place was set to open up not too long ago. However one of the Cooley brothers bought the place and is gutting it to suit their tastes. Once finished it will open as the Mercury Coffee Bar.

Any validity to this?

Well if you count bringing it up to code "gutting it to suit their tastes" then yes. There were some errors made in the buildout under the previous administration.

And no one bought the whole thing. Phil joined up as a partner in the project a while back.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear they will be serving Kombucha tea and pigweed salad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K ombucha

I can't WAIT!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by the Bar tonite, Man does that look weird without the sign.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If he was on a latter, what was he on previously?"

Obviously, he was on a former prior to climbing the latter..
Man, us basic white guys ask the dumbest questions..

dumb_whiteguy_atcha!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious, you guys!

laughing_polishgirl_atcha!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x,
You sure it was a basic white guy? Maybe it was a basic black guy wearing a disguise.

disguise

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.