Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Fort Wayne work day, July 26 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The regular monthly Fort Wayne workday is this Saturday from 9am to 5pm and we would like to invite all of you to this very worthy cause! We are starting our major push to re-glaze and restore all of the windows in the 1848 Barracks Building and will have our entire Window Restoration team present(many forumers on this team!) as we will not only be re-glazing but actually re-building some sash this weekend!

We will be more than happy, as well, to teach anyone interested in the lost art of multi-paned window sash building and re-glazing how to do it, as we have many very well skilled volunteers that are quite capable and very patient with newcomers!

As usual, if you don't feel comfortable with your window sash restoration capabilities, we have a large variety of other tasks that we could use your help with, including general carpentry and many different opportunities helping our Grounds crew do their part in keeping the fort's 83 acres looking well kept!

Please consider coming out and helping the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition and this very worthy cause!

See you at the Fort!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res: I don't think we can make it down this weekend. My grandson has an event at Fort Miegs in Ohio with the 1st Michigan Colonial Fife & Drum Corps, so we are headed down there. But...

I may have recruited some young ROTC volunteers for you. I sent them your contact info. I hope you will be hearing from them shortly. I spoke with a lady who lives near the Fort...her 16 yr old daughter is in ROTC and they may be interested in helping out. I hope they contact you!

One of the work days, since I'm not much good for physical labor, I will make a big batch of my "world famous" spaghetti sauce and provide lunch for every one...maybe more toward the fall when spaghetti is a great comfort food!

I hope lots of folks show up on Saturday!

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shameless bump...

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A second shameless bump

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump,Bump.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toll House cookies in the oven even as we speak.

Cub

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesssssssssssssssssssss! I have heard so much about them I can taste them. LOL!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are the best, and Crystal is a very dedicated provider of the now famous cookies.

Her family is to be lauded for their tireless dedication to the Fort, and it is an honor to have her as a member, but most importantly, as a friend.

See you guys tomorrow at the Fort!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish I could stay for a longer amount of time, but I've got work at 1. Ugh. See you guys tomorrow from 9 to 11.

Crystal

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This batch is not so good. We used a different kind of flour, and the cookies are somewhat flat. The taste is good, but the texture is off. Live and learn...

If the cookies had turned out better, and if it were not so late, we would have made an extra batch for Reading Night at Georgia St. Community Garden. Next time for sure!

Cub

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem as long as I get one in the morning. :-)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res, I cant promise I can make it but if I can Ill be with my Aunt who Ill be interviewing on a camera for a family documentary. If I do make it, she will be with me and I will be looking for a nice location to shoot at, ie nice backdrop. Keep that in the back of your head and if my Aunts up for it Ill stick around and help out after she has to go. The video work shouldnt be more than an hour. I should be there around 2 pm.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymothers,

What is the web address for the Fort Wayne site you are related to? Can I reach you there? Also, where can one make donations for the cause (or are they accepted?). I misplaced my page "bookmark" from last time. I tried to do a search in Google. There are quite a few sites dedicated to Detroit's Fort Wayne. I had no idea! I want to make sure it's the right one.

Thank you!

Crystal

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean -

This is the web site for the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition:

http://www.historicfortwayneco alition.com/

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos of the window restoration team at the Fort Wayne Coalition workday this past Saturday.

Lots of fun and work going on.

Enjoy!

-Subvet

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.