Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Sorry, another what building is this thread? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this manic obsession to doccument every major building downtown. In Cadillac Square what's the story on the building directly across from the triangular Reid Building and east of Cadillac Square Apartments? It's the white ten story structure south of the Water Board Building. And if it's not too much was the building next to the Charlevoix (west) on Adams always Park something apartments or did it have a former life? I took pictures, how the Hell small do you have to make them to upload?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uploaded images must be less than 550 pixels in length and width and also less than 50 kb in file size.

I use the free IrfanView software to resize my images.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its really easy

You can also use Paint and resize images to 10% of the size and those sizes work on here.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the Microsoft Photo Editor that came with my computer and reduce the size by to 65% just to be safe. They come out fine here.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be easy, I guess, but what is the church on the corner of East Grand Blvd. & Gratiot? I should know it, but I can't think of it. This is really driving me crazy. Thanks.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you are referring to the Lawyers Building. That is the building at the corner of Cadillac Square and Randolph. It really is a nice looking building. I would like to see it redeveloped.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is currently under contract. The buyer is in a lengthy due diligence period.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(I use Photoshop Elements and select the "batch processing" tab to resize several pics at once.)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find that Picasa 2 (free from Google) is a great program to organize and do some basic editing. You can EXPORT pictures in a new size very easily. I also use Photoshop, but Picasa is a nice application.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a shot of the church I mentioned earlier.

Unknown Church

Bcscott

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, turns out it was the Lawyers Building I was referring to. My girlfriend is a graphic artist, maybe she can show me how to resize this stuff with Photoshop. Does anyone know about the other building? The one to the west of Elizabeth on Adams, right next to the Charlevoix Building the taller of the two. It's an apartment building now, just wondered if that what it always was?

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bscott: you can see the Lawyers Building in this old photo

Det. News Fair Use-Not for Profit; Edu. use only

As for resizing, if you have MS Office, you can use MS PhotoEditor. Remember photos must be less than 50KB in size.

Open the photo in MS PhotoEditor, then go to the pull down menu and click image and resize. A dialogue box will come up. Use the pull-down menu on the box to choose pixels as your measuring unit. This is where you can reduce the size if necessary. Then click OK.

Click file, then save as. Save the file as a JPG or a GIF. Bitmaps are often too large. Rename the file and click save. Go back into the file as if you were opening it, the size is 49kb or less, it should upload fine. If not, go back to MS PhotoEd and make the photo smaller; then try again.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the other building, is it this?

http://www.kales76.com/

Bcscott

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great pic Eastsidedame. As far as the other building, I was mistaken. It's on Adams, not Elizabeth just west of Park Ave. On the corner is the twelve story Charlevoix Building. It's all boarded up with a restaurant sign on the lower floor. Next to it (possibly connected) is a much taller structure with "The Park Apartments" in red letters on the front. I just wondered if it was always apartments or something else in a different time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It this one, on the corner. It needs everything and then some.

lwyrs

The ESD's is the Cadillac Square Apts, which is for sale also, a cool 14 mill. would do it.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 475
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm confused. Which building is it?

There's the PARK AVENUE BUILDING, and another building called the PARK AVENUE HOTEL.

Park Avenue BUILDING: 2001 Park Ave., Designed by Albert Kahn, (yet another Detroit genius architect) built 1923. Here's a link to a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/d errickwalker/1271666975/

Park Avenue HOTEL, 2305 Park Ave: (AKA Royal Palms Hotel, Park Street Hotel Lofts, Park Avenue House) Designed by, my man, the great Louis Kamper and built in 1925 as the Royal Palms luxury residential hotel. The Park Avenue Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. Photo link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/s tatlerhotel/699044221/in/set-7 2157600836428947/

Here's a good list of important Detroit Buildings, with addresses and architects: http://buildingsofdetroit.com/ architects
and by street:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/s t/?id=parkavenuenue-detroit

Forgive the indulgence, but I couldn't resist passing this information along about the very interesting Charlevoix Building. The first link has photos of an expedition inside the old building. Built in 1905, the Charlevoix Building at 2029 PARK AVENUE is one of the Detroit's oldest standing multi-level structures and a rare example of Beaux-Arts in a skyscraper (with Italianate tendencies).

http://brnation.d2sector.net/u e/detroit_michigan_hotel_charl evoix.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C harlevoix_Building

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=191648

(on the market)
http://www.loopnet.com/propert y/15541745/2029-PARK-AVE/

Happy researching!

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures were great. Thanks for link. Even my old butt would love to look around vacant buildings

Bcscott

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I guess I was misinformed. So the Park Avenue Building is the building on the NW corner of Adams and Park Ave, and directly across the street(Park Ave.)from The Kales? It's hard to tell from the picture because the bottom floor is now all boarded up. However that restaurant sign looks like the one one the building I thought was the Charlevoix. So I guess that makes the building next to it the Park Ave. Hotel. Thanks for the info EastsideDame, you're a really big help.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer part II of your original question the building that is now the Park apartments on Adams was built as the Briggs hotel and the lobby of the Oriental theater, aka "RKO Downtown". It was known as the Executive house hotel for many years. The theatre auditorium extended west along Adams and was demolished in about 1951 to make a parking lot. The lobby is still there. See thislink for pictures.

Bcscott

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me see if I got this straight. If you were to stand on the NW corner of Woodward and Adams you would be in front of the Fyfe Building. As you continue west down Adams you pass Grand Park Centre, then the Fine Arts Building and finally the Kales. Then you cross Park Ave. and now you're in front of the Park Ave. Building and then the Briggs Hotel. Does that sound right? I love that site packman, I used to race stock cars at Tri City Motor Speedway in Auburn, there's a page dedicated to it there as well.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this manic obsession to document every major building downtown.

Actually, Emporis.com does it for you and includes demolished buildings and ruined structures. Just look up a building, click on the street name, and the buildings on that street will be listed.

Glad to be of help, bscott. Seriously, this is my idea of fun.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.