Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » End of white flight? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Census data "suggests that white flight from large cities may have bottomed out in the 1990s," says William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.

For instance, while most of the 50 largest cities continue to see declines in the share of whites, it is at much-reduced rates. In Los Angeles the share of the white population declined only about a half a percentage point between 2000 and 2006, compared to a 7.5-point decline the previous decade. Cities including New York, Fort Worth and Chicago show a similar pattern.

quote:

Today, cities are refashioning themselves as trendy centers devoid of suburban ills like strip malls and long commutes. In Atlanta, which has among the longest commute times of any U.S. city, the white population rose by 26,000 between 2000 and 2006, while the black population decreased by 8,900. Overall the white proportion has increased to 35% in 2006 from 31% in 2000.

quote:

Washington -- where African-Americans have been in the majority for a half-century -- has lost about 80,000 black residents between 1990 and 2006. Whites had been leaving, too, but recently they've started coming back. Between 2000 and 2006, Washington gained 24,000 whites and lost 21,000 blacks. Whites are now 32% of the population, up from 28% in 2000.

quote:

As middle-class African-Americans have left San Francisco, the remaining black population has gone from poor to poorer. In 1990, half of the city's African-American population was very low-income; by 2005, that number swelled to about two-thirds. The number of black-owned businesses fell 25% between 1997 and 2002.

WSJ: The End of White Flight

So does this have any implications for the Big Motor?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. These findings will be promptly ignored. Detroit's white people will go on living in denial that people left the city starting in 1967 and they will never ever live with "those people" again. :P

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America is shifting to become a nation divided on class than on race. That maybe a plateau for a capitalist society.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably not the end...probably more like a pause, until people get tired of urban life again and the pendulum swings back towards suburban life being more desirable.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait'll we run out of oil around 2050. The core cities will boom again.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"probably not the end...probably more like a pause, until people get tired of urban life again and the pendulum swings back towards suburban life being more desirable."

It's gonna swing a LOT further in the direction of 'urban' lifestyles before it ever heads back to suburban. The suburban lifestyle came with the baby boomers and their parents. As the baby boomers die off, the suburban lifestyle will probably be less and less in demand.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, your last sentence should read:

"As the oil supply dies off, the suburban lifestyle will probably be less and less in demand".

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a single person like myself Detroit with its affordable rent, bus system and other amenities,is becoming more of an ideal place even after considering city taxes. Wages havent kept up with inflation the price of gas has a crippling effect. The ideal situation in my view would be to snatch up one of them $400-450 per month apartments on Seward at the Lodge, get a job downtown or on the bus line,stop driving altogether(theres life after automobiles I bussed about from Sept.97-May 99) and still managed to enjoy life and reach my destinations.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6997
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent article. Thanks.
jjaba.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yes. These findings will be promptly ignored. Detroit's white people will go on living in denial that people left the city starting in 1967 and they will never ever live with "those people" again. :P"

Remember this white person is still planning on moving up there. Just trying to crunch the numbers after the shock of how high the taxes and homeowners insurance is compared to down here.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White people leave you call it white flight

Black people leave you call it relocating

White people move in its called gentrification

Black people move in its called diversity

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me as usual.

the good rev

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"White Flight," my ass. The thing that is killing Detroit now is that even black folks are packing up and getting the fuck out, and who can blame them.
I get a big kick out of it when black folks, with a slight tinge of haughtiness, vigorously jump at every chance to just casually mention that they don't live in Detroit.
Apparently, there is something markedly up-scale about Southfield, and I'm just failing to pick up on it.
My bad.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yes. These findings will be promptly ignored. Detroit's white people will go on living in denial that people left the city starting in 1967 and they will never ever live with "those people" again. :P"

And when they do move into "your" neighborhood you say they are ruining it with gentrification.

Bullshit. Grow up and stop discriminating against people.

Make up your god damned minds. All you do is whine about white people this and white people that.

Its remarkable how much some minorities whine,bitch,moan and cry when it comes to white folks.

I guess "your leaders" programmed you properly to bitch until the day you die.

the good rev

P.S. Im playing my violin for your tortured soul

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6141
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may be a Reverend, but you're anything but good. Stop the overtly defensive...bullshit.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a Reverend who uses God's name in vain... now I have seen it all!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Ill stop when they stop spreading their bs racist hate.

the good rev

PS Im a whole lot better than most of you

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You may be a Reverend, but you're anything but good. Stop the overtly defensive...bullshit.

Not to mention he is demonstrating a complete misunderstanding of what gentrification is...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I get a big kick out of it when black folks, with a slight tinge of haughtiness, vigorously jump at every chance to just casually mention that they don't live in Detroit.
Apparently, there is something markedly up-scale about Southfield, and I'm just failing to pick up on it.

I think that's a Detroit thing period. I notice it from both white and black suburbanites.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7501
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White flight in Detroit is starting to slow down a bit. Fewer white couples are moving back to the city, but not white nuclear families.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wait'll we run out of oil around 2050. The core cities will boom again."

Well, it might take half a century to build up enough urban infrastructure to accommodate an enormous population shift from the suburbs.

By contrast, it would likely only take 5-10 years to make various forms of alternative energy marketable enough for use in personal vehicles, which would make the suburban way of life just as viable as it ever was. This process will probably be accelerated too if Obama is elected in November.

Also, consider that it wouldn't take much of a population shift to bring property values in the suburbs down just enough to make these homes very attractive to the market and too attractive for many people to pass up. We're already starting to see this happening in our area.

This is the same reason downtown Detroit will face enormous challenges in building itself into a respectable CBD. All that office space in Southfield and Troy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and the minute you start to see a shift from those places to Detroit, the lease rates in those places will drop just enough to make them too attractive for companies doing business in SE MI to pass up.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pot, I'd like you to meet Mr. Kettle...

(Message edited by publicmsu on July 22, 2008)

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you actually read the article, one of its main points is that middle class black families are moving to the suburbs and a new generation of white people along with empty nestors are moving into the cities. So ravine, what you are commenting on is exactly what the article is referring to. I think the article is representative of what is happening in Detroit, albeit probably on a smaller scale. White generation Y kids are moving downtown, corktown, and midtown and in the process changing the dynamics of those neighborhoods to some extent. While middle class black flight continues to outpace white influx in Detroit, the basic principles referred to in the article are present here.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one of the reasons white flight could be slowing in Detroit is that there aren't many white people left. Most of those that are able to get out have left. Those that remain have actively chosen to not leave, or have moved to the city.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would expect this to be the end of white flight, there are no more white people left in Detroit (the few left are either very old or very young & without a family). Now you see the result of their mass abandonment with all the vacant buildings downtown (the lost of Hudsons & Crowleys, Statler, Tuller, Madison-Lenox, Eddystone, Fort Wayne, etc.) & urban prairies in our neighborhoods.

*Ducks from the tomatoes*

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 615
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the statistics for White Flight from the first ring of inner suburbs? Here in the D, I believe that whites have already fled the places they fled to in the first place, and rather than move back inward have continued to spread out.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6144
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't put much faith in Census estimates, but what is happening in the other cities the articles mentioned doesn't appear to be happening in Detroit. As of 2000, the percentage of white residents in Detroit was said to be 12.3%. As of the 2006 American Community Survey estimate, the percentage of white residents in Detroit was estimated to be 10.0%. Since both blacks and whites are continuing an out-migration from the city what the data shows is that white Detroiters are still leaving faster than black residents.

So, it doesn't appear that Detroit, even with as low percentage of white residents as it currently has, is seeing a reversal in out-migration from any of the two major groups in the city. It's exactly why the Wall Street Journal article on which this thread was based specifically doesn't mention the City of Detroit, because it appears that it's not happening, here.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 22, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

End of white flight? WTF does that mean.
F the demographers. Bottom line is most coherent people don't want to live next to violent criminals.
People with money move. Look at all the millionaire athletes, do they live in shitty neighborhoods? NO.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's actually quite ironic. A lot of whites left the city, then blacks started following slowly but surely, now a new generation of whites are moving back. Actually this could create diversity in the actually city for once. This new generation of all cultures (not just blacks and whites, but latinos, arabs, everybody!!)have no recollection or do they care about what happened back in 1967 so I think the racial tension in the region and city would go down within the next say...5-50 years...a broad estimate.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6145
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be clear, more white residents aren't moving to Detroit than are leaving it from what the numbers show. The only growing ethnic communities in the city are hispanics and Asians. There is all of this talk about a "back to the city movement", and while it may be true, nothing shows it to amount to anything more than a trickle as much as I'd like to see the city grow.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the problem with tracking these kinds of trends is that the City of Detroit is HUGE. I'm still trying to get my arms around how huge it is.

I can say anecdotally, along with the increase in both student housing, student apartments, and young professionals that in the CBD, I'd bet that more residents are moving in than moving out.

Mostly because 5-10 years ago, I don't think there were all that many to start with.

But CBD is a pretty small -- albeit critical -- area. I'm probably gonna get a lot of flack for this, but if we gain 5,000 new residents in the CBD and lose 5k from some of our outlying residential areas, I think that's a net positive.

The city is just too big to redevelop all at once. I'm not an urban planning guy, but I'd have to believe that we've got to pick core spots and just build them to capacity so that there is sustainable critical mass. Downtown Detroit is one of the few (only?) areas in SE Michigan that saw positive population growth in 2007.

So while it may be a "trickle", the back to the city movement is enough to be a critical mass, and is certainly alive.

YPD

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6146
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'm not arguing that places like downtown and midtown won't see population gains, or at least measurable changes in demographics at the end of the decade. I think one or both of those have been proven with the studies down on downtown over the last few years. I was just making the point that there doesn't appear to be any huge demographic changes on the city-wide level. Yes, Detroit is large, but Atlanta is almost the same physical size as Detroit, and they are tracking a city-wide demographic change. My only point was to caution against expecting some measurable demographic changes for the city as a whole come the 2010 Census, because thus far, there is nothing pointing to this, either at the Census or SEMCOG. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see the black percentage of the city grow slightly at the 2010 Census as that's what's being predicted.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Apparently, there is something markedly up-scale about Southfield, and I'm just failing to pick up on it."

Its called a colonial on a semi-winding road with cul-de-sacs and sophisticated street names.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"there are no more white people left in Detroit"

There seem to still be quite a few in the S/W neighborhoods. The areas with the large Latino population have a noticeable caucasian population mixed in.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2938
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln, read my entire post before quoting me.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't put much faith in Census estimates, but what is happening in the other cities the articles mentioned doesn't appear to be happening in Detroit. As of 2000, the percentage of white residents in Detroit was said to be 12.3%. As of the 2006 American Community Survey estimate, the percentage of white residents in Detroit was estimated to be 10.0%. Since both blacks and whites are continuing an out-migration from the city what the data shows is that white Detroiters are still leaving faster than black residents.

But you said that the ACS estimate isn't as reliable as the official census 10 year estimate. So the difference between 10% and 12.3% maybe amounts to much ado about nothing?

Also, when you say "white" you aren't accounting for non-traditional "white" people such as middle-easterners, eastern Europeans, and some Hispanics, who are classified as caucasian by the census bureau. Those groups tended to stay in the city and are probably now going through a so-called "flight". So the city very well is probably losing more of them than they are taking in "traditional white" people who are migrating in from the suburbs and other areas, but they also could still be increasing the percentage of "traditional whites".

Speaking of "other areas", another thing that's going on in metro Detroit now, that isn't going on in the other areas so much, is that metro Detroit is very likely shrinking. This means you don't have people migrating in from out of the region who are willing to live in the core city, whereas metro Atlanta has doubled since the early 1990s...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"metro Detroit is very likely shrinking."

"metro Atlanta has doubled since the early 1990s..."

No!

With or without water, an economy makes a world of difference. :-)

You know the situation is getting dire when the Starbucks (and eventually) Wal-Marts are closing.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 23, 2008)

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not black and white. Too much focus on those two races (or skin tones to be more accurate)

America will get more diverse in the next 50 years no doubt. I don't personally believe there will be a majority anywhere, just a melting pot of folks. Races will marry each other and jeez this whole subject will be moot.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6151
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

I'll say it again but the American Community Survey was created specifically to track demographic changes, while the Census Estimate formula was created specifically to track population changes. So, if we're talking general city-wide population change we use the Census Estimate or SEMCOG numbers (both still largely imperfect, though). If we're talking demographics we use the ACS.

BTW, the "white" number, as you know, includes all those that classify themselves as white. Counting non-hispanic whites, the number drops about 20,000 for the 2006 number. Beyond that, the Census Bureau stops slicing and dicing the population.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not to mention he is demonstrating a complete misunderstanding of what gentrification is..."

I know exactly what gentrification is.

If you actually took a moment and read my comments you would understand that what I meant was that when whites move into a predominantly black neighborhood they are almost always accused of trying to gentrify the nabe.

You kids on here slay me with your crap. I point out real problems and you want to try and flip the scrip trying to make me sound as if I'm angry and bitter when in all actuality it is yourselves that cannot come to the grim reality that you have been brainwashed into hating others for their skin color.

What a shame. A whole generation of what could have been great youth lost to a few morons that call themselves leaders.

Why don't you people on this damn forum actually try to have something constructive to say instead of trying to attack one's education or grammar for that matter.

Oh I know, its because you have no real answer for anything no?

At least you have no real answer to give to anyone that would like to try to have an intelligent conversation on the woes of the black/white issues.

Your only line of defense is what you have been brainwashed to believe.

I suggest you go to a camp for de-brainwashing and join reality.

the good rev

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BTW, the "white" number, as you know, includes all those that classify themselves as white. Counting non-hispanic whites, the number drops about 20,000 for the 2006 number. Beyond that, the Census Bureau stops slicing and dicing the population."

That struck me as too low, so I looked at
http://factfinder.census.gov/s ervlet/ADPTable?-geo_id=16000U S2622000&-qr_name=ACS_2006_EST _G00_DP5&-ds_name=ACS_2006_EST _G00_

and it shows non hispanic whites as 68,833--where did you get 20,000?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6154
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said the number, when you take into account only non-hispanic whites, drops 20,000, not drops to 20,000.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you actually took a moment and read my comments you would understand that what I meant was that when whites move into a predominantly black neighborhood they are almost always accused of trying to gentrify the nabe.

Uh, no. White people moving into North Rosedale Park are not being accused of trying to gentrify that predominantly black neighborhood.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I said the number, when you take into account only non-hispanic whites, drops 20,000, not drops to 20,000.

But it's safe to say that a signification portion of the ~70,000 "whites" left over after accounting for Hispanic "whites", are also not "traditional whites", agree?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7511
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revaldullton,

The contexts from other folks in the forum is not perfect. But freedom of speech have to be exercised for persuasion uses. The moderators in this forum did put a shutdown notice to any forum members if name calling or doublethink is imminent. So get use to their codespeak, you might be surprised what their contexts can do.

Bsarndt
Username: Bsarndt

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is a subject always a Black and White issue? First of all, a majority of the human race is mixed with something. So in reality, there is no true Black or White people. That's a skin hue. People in general, taking flight from this city has to do with 3 simple things that the city is having trouble with. Economics, education, and crime. And this city is horribly failing at all three.
Look, I'm "White", as you want to call it, and I love my city. But even I have some thoughts about moving out. Maybe once we change the President and our city government, we will inch our way back to where Detroit was 60-70 years ago as far as prosperity is concerned.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6158
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

Sure; not sure what that matters, though. It wasn't something I was even discussing or arguing. I'd still say that though significant, that the clear majority of whites in Detroit are still "traditional" whites.

The only thing I was arguing is that flight from the city isn't appearing to have stopped for either of the two major groups.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are "traditional whites"?

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the guy meant traditional whites as in non-arab, non-eastern europe immigrant, etc because arabs and etc are considered white when doing census numbers, although they are a specific ethnic group like hispanics, black, asian. I believe years ago, hispanics were lumped together in the "white" category. Perhaps someday in the future, there will be another option when filling out forms for middle-eastern folk.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a word NO. People will continue to move out as long as they do not feel safe.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*sigh*

I hope Detroit comes back. I am so incredibly homesick for city living I could die. When I go to NY or chicago or SF, I feel like I'm walking through an enchanted wonderland.

The suburbs suck something awful. It really seems incredible to me that people actually prefer to live in them. I blame the baby boomers. This is their fault. They suck too.

I also have decided that I not only hate driving, I hate cars. I think private ownership of automobiles should be banned. So, living in the "car capital" only seems to compound the misery of living in the suburbs.

<-- Going off now to have another scotch and book next trip for Chicago.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I blame the baby boomers. This is their fault. They suck too."

Careful, you may get attacked for a blanketed statement.

BTW, it's always better to post your rants before you start drinking. :-)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I echo your sentiment, if not necessarily your exact words. Best thing that's worked for me is to move (or commit to moving) into the areas of the downtown Detroit that have been successfully redeveloped.

Sure the units are much more expensive per sq ft, but still much less than if you were in Chicago or NY.

As soon as I did this, a few things happened:

(1) I started to meet other people who share the same longing for city living. And there aren't just a few. The number of downtown residents is upwards of 6000.

(2) You'll meet and find opportunities to meet the people who are leading the surge to grow the urban living core of downtown. Despite everything that's going on in the City right now, scandal, scandal on top of scandal, recession, and population loss, there is actually still very much going on in the pipeline of downtown urban living growth.

When you find yourself in contact with these people you'll learn not just that you can enjoy urban living in Detroit, but that you can also become an integral part of growing it, improving it, and spreading the word. In other words, you're no longer a victim to the circumstances out cf your control. Like if Sharon McPhail is accusing Kwame of electrocuting her, and what not.

This all started for me when someone invited me to a Downtown Development Tour that I attended hosted by Urban Living Institute and the Detroit Athletic Club. One thing led to another and now I'm moving back into the city. There's a surge of interest, and if you'd like me to put you in touch with the pulse of what's going on, I'd be glad to.

Sure beats reading the Freep and the News. No offense, because they're world class papers. Kwame sells more papers than learning that TechTown has millions of dollars of grants they're begging to give away to qualified ideas...but are having a hard time finding.

Hit me up anytime...
YPD

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3332
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ray, I echo your sentiment, if not necessarily your exact words. Best thing that's worked for me is to move (or commit to moving) into the areas of the downtown Detroit that have been successfully redeveloped.

He was attempting to be sarcastic...

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha. Well, if he was attempting to be saracastic, I'll tell you that there are droves of people who actually feel that way. '

They now live in Lincoln Park.

Illinois.

YPD

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What are "traditional whites"?

People perceived as being white. According to the census bureau, people with origins in North Africa and the Middle East are considered "white". Realistically, Americans don't recognize brown people (North Africans, Middle Easterners, Hispanics) as "white". Even some recently migrated populations of eastern Europeans aren't really considered "white".

The point of saying all of this -- since it isn't intended to be an anthropology lesson -- is that on paper they say Detroit has ~20% white population. While probably technically true, it depends on how you define "white". Is this 20% primarily made up of people who wouldn't have been barred, because of ethnic origin, from living in Grosse Pointe in the 1960s? I highly doubt it.

Instead, I think this number is heavily weighted by the non-traditional whites that you tend not to think of when you hear the term "white people"; these are people who also wouldn't have been allowed to live in Grosse Pointe, such as North Africans, Middle Easterners, Hispanics and Eastern Europeans. Furthermore, if Detroit's white population is still declining then I would bet that it's because of the non-traditional whites leaving -- just like the middle class blacks -- instead of traditional whites.

FYI, this point was discussed some in the article in the OP regarding Hispanics . It was discussed as a possible explanation into why the percentage of white residents in some major cities didn't drop further...

Bsarndt
Username: Bsarndt

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TechTown has millions of dollars of grants they're begging to give away to qualified ideas...,Youngprofessionaldetr oiter, I'm interested. What's the web site?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wait'll we run out of oil around 2050. The core cities will boom again."

In my circle of acquaintances that are looking for a more urban setting, issues of race or cost of gas have actually really little to do with it. Rather it has to do with the fact that people my age, in their 20s, feel as though they are missing out on quite a bit growing up or living in a suburban setting. Generally people want to live with those similar to them. This is the same for someone's age. If young professionals are the majority of those living in urban niches, then there is a tendency for me to want to be there also--I don't want to live in a quiet quaint suburb with a bunch of baby boomers!

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the Detroit Based Initiative
http://media.www.thesouthendne ws.com/media/storage/paper1243 /news/2008/07/16/News/Grant.Bo osts.Entrepreneurship.In.Detro it-3391562.shtml

There's more, but I'm at a loss for where to find more about it. Let me work on it. YPD

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.