Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Conversation w/ The Mayor....LOL « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this from a Kwamunist in my email today. Needless to say, I won't be there. It should be interesting. Actually, I should go to see what Mayor McCheese has to say and heckle him a bit.

"Greetings Everyone!

I would like to cordially invite you to attend a conversation with the
Mayor Kilpatrick on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 from 6pm until 8pm @
Manoogian Mansion located at 9240 Dwight. This purpose of this
conversation is to come and talk with Mayor Kilpatrick about issues
important to you.

This conversation is for all entertainers, performing artists, spoken
word artist, DJs' , promoters, etc. All entertainers are invited;
therefore, please extend an invitation to your friends in the industry.

RSVP is highly recommended; you may RSVP at (313) 628-2689.

For more information, please review the attached flyer.

Should you require additional information, please contact me directly.
"

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are exotic dancers considered entertainers? :-)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I will bring a couple stacks of singles and a bulletproof vest- damn that wasn't cool :-D

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could get real interesting.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanna come with a camera. I guess this is his LEGAL way of getting entertainment in the house while Carlita is gone lol.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All entertainers are invited

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings Everyone!

Since I couldn't get anybody (well, two people) to show up at my fake-ass "economic stimulus package" meetings, I would like to cordially invite Detroit's "entertainment community" to attend a conversation (participation optional) with the Mayor Kilpatrick on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 from 6pm until 8pm at the Manoogian Mansion. This purpose of this conversation is to come and talk with Mayor Kilpatrick about issues important to you, such as but not limited to Detroit's wealth of talent, the 300-odd record labels all vying for attention, how much you love me, and what the strong-mayor system can do for your street team.

This conversation is for all entertainers (except television reporters), performing artists (except protestors), spoken word artists (except Ken Cockrel), DJs' (except OP and Andy), promoters (except the people making Kwame Killed My City stickers), etc. All entertainers (except as stated above) are invited; therefore, please extend an invitation to your (Kwame-friendly) friends in the industry (not THAT industry!).

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say that you should go and pelt him with questions that are HARD HITTING

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Damn. LOL. A ridiculous grasp for help paying my legal bills is what you see."

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like hes planning a party!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanna come with a camera. I guess this is his LEGAL way of getting entertainment in the house while Carlita is gone lol.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sounds like hes planning a party!

Mike Cox told me this evite is an urban legend.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets suppose that this isnt a joke, or urban legend, which Im sure it is.

OK, the Mayor is an easy target for our amusement, but the city still need someone to handle day to day affairs until hes gone. Its obvious to think hes kissin the public's ass for any stray fence sitters.

It just seems like we should be getting as much done as possible through him, even if we do have to deal with what hes done and what hes putting our city through. He is still in office, and things still need to be done. When I first read this thread I thought to myself, I might be able to get something done here. Let me know if you think Im wrong. I admittedly do not know much about politics. Im just an artist whos curious as to what he has to say.

Django

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just called the number ^above^ and got a recording claiming it was the Mayors office and was taking RSVPs. I left my number, Ill let you all know where it all goes.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

I think it's always better to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. I for one, hope you'll go and post your observations here. Think about it: if none of us are there, some Kwamunite will post what a wonderful event it was, how KK promised (and delivered) the world, how he and his team of 57 legal beagles solved the city's ills, how he found an extra 100 billion dollars in the budget, etc. And we will all have missed it...

Django

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True that. Ill let you know if I get a callback.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get your rocks up in The Cut!

Something sounded wrong about that sentence. Anyway, how has that been going, Django?

Django

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the first project I thought of Sean, Im not sure about bringing it up the pike though. I havnt been down there to check it out in about a month. Im thinking Ill just do it clandestine to begin with, just to see how it goes. You can always find some broken concrete to stack within about 50' of any spot in the D.

Im playin it by ear. I just gotta get down there to check it out, see whats available.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I posted that letter in a new thread. I spoke with someone from his office yesterday....turns out they only invited PERFORMING artists. Since I dont sing and/or dance except infront of my husband, I dont know if I will go. I WOULD like to see what the Manse looks like, though...maybe I will show up with a painting to prove that I, too, am creative,

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sent a revised letter acknowledging ALL artists, and they are invited to this meeting tomarrow.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13539
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious.

Why do I think this is just a honeypot to gather the artists who haven't yet paid city income tax?

Am I a cynic?!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7506
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This "Conversation with The Mayor " would be a party at the Manoogian Mansion to remember.

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did KK ever reschedule the cancelled meeting he was going to have with postal workers at his mansion?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2728
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No disrespect to the hardworking and talented performing artists out there, including vocalists, musicians, actors, etc. but ...

Performing artists are usually opportunistic, lack political understanding, and will do anything to get ahead. They often place more value on presence than content. Now if you were to gather the most opportunistic people, the people who didn't think twice about showing up to meet a corrupt mayor, people who were looking for some way to get the edge, what do you end up with?

I get the sense Kwame wants to fill a room with credulous, opportunistic people and then promise them something. Shit, at this point, he has trouble enough filling a room with people who constitute an easy audience.

Yeah, I'm curious to learn what the pitch is.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I get the sense Kwame wants to fill a room with credulous, opportunistic people and then promise them something. Shit, at this point, he has trouble enough filling a room with people who constitute an easy audience.

Disagree. There is a massive constituency in Detroit that views control of local government as an entitlement not subject to or deserving of any kind of oversight/criticism by "outsiders". For many, this view is taken through a race-based lens. This constituency treats the Mayoral Mess exclusively as an unjustified attack on "our Mayor". In other words, you can't tell us how to run our city. Their opposition to the calls for a resignation will occur regardless of almost any conduct proven to have been engaged in by Mayor Kilpatrick. This constituency will be able to fill rooms for Mayor Kilpatrick for the indefinite future.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, so why when he was going out introducing his "economic stimulus package" did only a few people show up?

My basic point, though, was that he and his handlers want to fill a room with credulous, opportunistic people. My guess is they're not slick enough to pull it off right, though.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My basic point, though, was that he and his handlers want to fill a room with credulous, opportunistic people."

You left out "influential." Kwame sells his sob story to the artist, (in exchange for letting him stack his rocks, figuratively speaking), and gets a vocal ally who has an audience in exchange. He's looking to buy more supporters, plain & simple.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Django..I didn't mean to single you out, I just really liked typing "stack his rocks," as an example of potential favors granted.
:-)

Accept it as a euphemism for whatever favor the the Kwamenator grants in exchange for some positive publicity from the artist.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That invitation might be a joke on Kym Worthy's part. You know those two, KW & KK, have been playing practical jokes on one another since they took office. They just don't know when to stop.

Django

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accepted, I erased my post.

Fareast
Username: Fareast

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calling Detroiters Supporting Ethics in City Hall to a

Peaceful Protest in Front of Manoogian Mansion, 9240 Dwight, Detroit

Calling On Mayor to Resign

Wednesday, July 23 at Noon

Meet at Stockton Park at end of Parkview, next to Manoogian Mansion. There is parking at Stockton.

For directions to 9240 Dwight, go to www.maps.google.com.

Pass it on! I may be there alone, but I will be there.

Gannon

Post Number: 13559
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

Can we commission you to do a 'rock head' in hizzoner's honor?

I cannot think of anything more appropriate.

What would that be worth to DetroitYessers?!

Cheers and more on this waning full moon...we're almost done with it!

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kwame sells his sob story to the artist, (in exchange for letting him stack his rocks, figuratively speaking), and gets a vocal ally who has an audience in exchange. He's looking to buy more supporters, plain & simple.

Artists that I know are going, and so am I. We are not so dim-witted as to instantly believe in any 'quick fix' or placation that he may offer in order to get 'positive press'

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2739
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I didn't say artists and performers are dimwitted and credulous. But if they pack a room it gives the Great Kwamunicator a photo op. Watch him and his team spin it. He's such a total user...

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame Chillpatrick is a natural confidence artist. And, artists & performers, unfortunately, are often unable to discern between feely-good feel-me-ups, and dirty ol' dish rags such as the Mayor. Jus sayin. Sad that anyone would want to listen to that man anyways, I think.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went, saw the backyard of the Mansion, saw many people in line for food, heard him answer questions that had nothing to do with me. Oh, and Martha Reeves was there. I sure wish I could get that hour and 45 minutes back in my life.

Gannon

Post Number: 13589
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Send him a bill, you're worth at least $700 per hour, and if you left with LESS than you came you consulted.

They're paying that rate already...

Django

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote by Detroitnerd:

"Performing artists are usually opportunistic, lack political understanding, and will do anything to get ahead."

You said it. Its about time someone lay out the truth.

(Message edited by django on July 24, 2008)

(Message edited by django on July 24, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Touchy? Didja miss my caveat? ("No disrespect to the hardworking and talented performing artists out there, including vocalists, musicians, actors, etc. but ...")

Django

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Touchy, yes. No I didnt miss that.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I know it'll be a hard sell, but I don't have a low opinion of performing artists. It's a jungle out there, and people do what they can to get ahead in a very tough business. That means that people trying to make it in entertainment must put a premium on exploiting opportunities and promoting themselves. And it often produces great folks like Patti Smith or Chuck D, right? But then it also produces people like, um, Martha Reeves. :P

Ggores

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, you all don't miss much at all, do ya? Welp, we all take a bit of criticism, jostling, or harangueing, once in a while, sometimes constructive, sometimes flippant, sometimes banal. No big deal. I'd say that no caveats are really needed, as any artist worth their worth is just a little thick-skinned, 'specially around these msg. boards. Enjoy!

Django

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I myself wouldn't quite consider myself "thick skinned" but not thin either. Just considering how some think artists are "usually". I consider that an insult to artists, thick or thin.

Was it not a blanket statement? blanket insult?

Whatever, Im done here I hope.

Ggores

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now don't run off so fast there Django, because I think there is a much deeper lesson to be learned here on this thread. And I am just as in a rush to be done with this one as anybody else who has chosen to waste valuable time either thinking, reading, attending, or writing on the subject (I'm in between washing dish's in the sink). So let's just back up a second.

There are other, more appropriate places, to discuss Mayoral-related things, first of all.

KK sending out this invitation I find more insulting than anything EYE could come up with. "Hello Dear prettie's. I really, really fucked up, BIG time! But ya know what? I know that you artsy types are super-cool, and very open-minded, and just might be willing to come and join me for a conversation. We'll sit in the backyard of the Manoogian and sip mint julips, nibble on hours d'oeuvre's, and ya'll can have a nice and pleasant time with - ME."

Ya see, this guy is pretty desperate. And I don't even know if the original poster is playing a joke, or what. And if you read back, the only "art" which KK is skilled at, is the art of confidence.

At least MY so-called criminal friends tell you right up front that they're gonna pick your pocket.

The only blanket statement here is that, if you're going to exercise your artistic abilities, then do it in a guileless manner.

Me? I'm just a writer, so I tend to blab blah blah. Ok, one last pile of dish's to rinse off and I am out! Ya'll be well. I'm done here also. This was a joke, wasn't it?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, the gentlemanly thing to do when you've been told you offended someone is to beg forgiveness and move on.

no big deal, it is what gentlemen do.

Jerks don't.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are all the Kwame supporters and defenders that were on this site prior to all of this ?

I seem to recall discussions about the way he carried his self in the public eye and these people crawled out from under every stone and out from every crack to protect ol king Kwame.

And now, ***POOF*** Its like David Blaine and Copperfield worked their magic and all these fools dissipated like a fart in the wind.

To embarrased to still defend him?>

the good rev

237am
Username: 237am

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i charge $250 for a 15 minute robot performance...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, sorry if I offended anybody. :-(

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i charge $250 for a 15 minute robot performance...

Yikes. I hope that includes a "happy ending!"
:-)

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For artists, art is their focus in life, and the audience, is secondary, but required for the artist to be a participant in life. Art and the creative process is so subjective, how can rules frame what is permissible and by whom? The Medici created the Renaissance by supporting its artists. Talk about twisted politics and Great Art. "Renaissance" is something that Detroit needs to define as its own. With Detroit's creatives inflicted with poverty mind more and more, I would think it silly to turn down any funder that truly appreciates an artist's work, esp without hearing them out. If the meeting isn't about getting things done, complete with written statements of intention, leave quickly.

(Message edited by Lnfant on July 25, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.