Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » "You Can't Carry My Bra" of FLASHPOINT Sunday AM « Previous Next »
Archive through July 20, 2008Tkelly198630 07-20-08  3:55 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're forgetting that the Grosse Pointes and Wyandotte are in that district. I know for a fact that Mary Waters cares about the Grosse Pointes when CCK hasn't cared for years.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carry My Bra? She should have used that punch line from that old joke...."Whenever deres a desaster, deys always come lookin' fo' dat black box"

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu, the Grosse Pointes don't need any help from the federal government because they have such a great local tax base, although I understand your point. And I'm not saying a representative of this district should only focus on the more at need areas and neglect the well off communities...

Anyway, I have a question after looking at the congressional map. Is Detroit divided into two or more congressional districts? If so, has this always been the case, what is the reasoning behind a city being split into separate districts, and who represents the rest of the city? I'm too lazy to do my own research...

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was absolutely disgusted listening to these bitches, dressed up like Nuberian Princesse's. I could damn near smell the stench in my dive living room. But, even more disappointing was Devon's approach. Flashpoint, my ass. We'd be better off ordering out for Taco Bell. But whatever.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amgasper01 - That's a process called gerrymandering.

Every ten years, after the census, the party in power redistricts the state to benefit them. Hence the crazy-azz boundries all over the place - CCK's district goes from the Pointes all the way to Ecorse, and slices through Detroit. And I believe the 14th, John Conyers, covers Northern Detroit all the way to Trenton. John Dingells' district covers all the way from Dearborn to Ann Arbor. It's friggin' stupid.

Go look at the map, people. This is your government inaction, looking to control you by making your vote useless by dictating which party will represent you. That is what effectively this does.

http://www.govtrack.us/congres s/findyourreps.xpd?state=MI&di strict=14

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya'll can't carry my bra!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8461
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was waiting for the chair throwing to begin ala. Geraldo or Jerry Springer

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeezus, Alley.

Well, maybe with a forklift.....

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ineptitude in my fair city is unbelievable. What's even harder to believe is that these are the three best candidates for the district even though Harper Woods and the Pointes are included in the 13th. You'd think gerrymandering would give us at least one decent candidate. Instead, one of the three doesn't even live in the district.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeezus, Alley.
Well, maybe with a forklift.....

Yeah. Cripes, that's enough to turn a straight guy over to the other side.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 said:
quote:

"Yeah. Cripes, that's enough to turn a straight guy over to the other side."

Actually, that is a guy...

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 932
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People get the government that they deserve. If you have an apathetic, lazy, ignorant electorate, that will be reflected in the leadership. It's why America has had eight years of George W Bush and why Detroit has been run entirely by criminals for the past 40 years.

At the end of the day, nothing will change. Criminals like Kwame and Monica Conyers will likely be re-elected by a populace that votes based almost solely on name recognition. And of course, playing the race card and blaming everything on whitey always plays well amongst Detroit voters.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treading on thin ice with that Norbit photo. I say that as an African-American female who 1) doesn't look like that and 2) doesn't act like that....

Let's keep it about the issues, please.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"how you doin"

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why Detroit has been run entirely by criminals for the past 40 years.

Never heard anyone call Cavanagh or Gribbs a crook. But I'll give you Miriani; he served jail time.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4708
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show's posted now for those who didn't see it

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ flashpoint/index.html

Fareast
Username: Fareast

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know when Nancy Pelosi will be in town campaigning for Ms. Kilpatrick? I heard Devin say that Chuck Rangel will be here on Tuesday but do no know where or when? Thank you for any information you can provide!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you folks know that there is no republican candidate running for the 13th congressional district as far as I know. For all of you who think you can do a better job than the three democratic choices, why don't you run as a republican or some other third party candidate?

You can use footage from Flash Point in your TV ads to show voters why they shouldn't vote for any of the three democratic candidates. It will surely get you votes. Here's an opportunity for some of you to stop complaining and make a difference. Any takers?

BTW, I'm not endorsing any of the three democratic candidates, but if there isn't a fourth candidate, then I'm probably going to have to vote for one of them.

Fareast

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Republican candidate for the 13th Congressional district. His name is Edward J. Gubics and he's from Wyandotte. Got it off the SOS website.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all four of them will be at the debate on Monday.

but I say do it...run INDEPENDENT and unseat that lady!

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 939
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Flash Point's ratings rose for that show. They were promoting it as very "lively". I'm not really sorry I missed it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a link for tonight's debate? I'd like to go and wear a large bra on the outside of my suit jacket.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 588
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce #2698: "BTW, I'm not endorsing any of the three democratic candidates,"

Royce #2699: "Digitalvision is right. Caroline Cheeks-Kilpatrick is the best of the three candidates, and as the incumbent can do more for the 13th congressional district than the other two can."

Sure sounded like an endorsement to me.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on what he has to say, I might actually have to vote for the republican. The situation is dire.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a difference between an endorsement and voting for the best choice you can.

This is currently going on quite a bit in the Republican party - I can't tell you how many times on the radio I've heard "I'll support my party and vote for McCain, but it's not an endorsement."

An endorsement implies that you would do more than just vote for someone; campaign, volunteer, etc.

Fareast

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There should be a bra-burning party after the forum!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Republican candidate for the 13th Congressional district. His name is Edward J. Gubics and he's from Wyandotte. Got it off the SOS website.

Then I guess you can count me as one Detroiter who's going to vote Republican in this race. ... Unless he's an idiot, too. ... Or challenges CCK to try carrying his jock strap.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, hey, it was Gubics I bumped into DownTown a few months ago at the St. Paddy's parade (bad with names I am), we talked about ten minutes, and he was quite eager and seemed genuinely interested in helping people. Then I almost got beat up by a crowd for talking to a Republican. Go figure.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's PC to be anti-CCK but isn't it the bottom line that she can return Federal tax dollars to her district? Didn't you find it telling that the other two candidates couldn't answer the questions CCK asked them? How long would the district have to wait for one of these other candidates to come up to speed?

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 912
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know it's PC to be anti-CCK but isn't it the bottom line that she can return Federal tax dollars to her district? Didn't you find it telling that the other two candidates couldn't answer the questions CCK asked them? How long would the district have to wait for one of these other candidates to come up to speed?

If you vote on the candidate based solely on the their ability to grab the front federal tit....well, then you get the representation (or lack thereof) that you deserve. You then become part of the problem and the reason that you guys get such poor leadership up there anymore. Look around CCKs district (aside from GP) and you'll see how "effective" her ability to "bring home the bacon" is. Vote for the best candidate, period. Take the time to find out who that is. If that is your only standard, then vote that way. It's your right.

There is no way on God's green earth that BRC should have ever gotten voted into any job after her stint in the U.S. House, and yet there's the queen mother of Papese sitting on the Detroit city council....tiara and all. CCK s no different. You want a continuance of the environment of corruption and cronyism? Then vote for her. You think that way she acted on Flashpoint is the way you want her representing you in DC, then cast your ballot for y'all boy's mama. Right now, if she was the last person on earth to vote for, I'd still write myself in.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a part 3 to the video?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday, You made good points in your post. I don't live in the Congressional district in question so I won't be voting for any of the candidates. Frequently, the problem is name recognition trumps change with incumbents having the advantage unless they've done something close to the election to dishonor themselves to their constituency.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the 13th, and Cheeks aint done shit for me lately. No billboards with her giant grimacing visage up here either.

Heres all the primary candidates:
http://miboecfr.nicusa.com/ele ction/candlist/08PRI/08PRI_CL. HTM

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, this sorta makes my point:

http://www.marthagscott.com/ma rthagscott/pages/issues.html

It's friggin' July 22 already.

Durangokid
Username: Durangokid

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason WDIV did not invite the Republican, Ed Gubics, to be on the Flashpoint segment. Also, the Freep insists on refering to the three candidates when clearly there are four.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheeks-Kilpatrick whatever is worthless.
I would like a breakdown of where all of her so called money has gone to. Most likely political contributors who have businesses who reap the benefits of her DOLE OUTS.
She represents personal dole outs to friends.
BTW, Who the F would want to even touch any of her clothing? She is repulsive.

Durangokid
Username: Durangokid

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CCK has received over $ 26,000 from MGM Mirage executives and investors alone. By the way a huge portion of their stock is owned by the United Arab Emirates.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post covers a lot of territory. Someone, somewhere posted about mega churches, Marvin Winans and his stand on KK, and the 4 candidates appearance Wednesday night. This is being billed as a true debate. I'm hoping that Mary Waters does her homework before Monday. It doesn't look like Gubics was even invited.

quoted:

"Detroit’s 13th Congressional District race is attracting national media attention with U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and veteran congressmen Charles Rangel (D- New York) and James Clyburn (D- South Carolina) already lined up to campaign for incumbent U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick this week. Kilpatrick is locked in a battle for reelection to Congress with challengers State Sen. Martha Scott and former State Rep. Mary Waters vying for the same seat.

The three candidates will debate July 28 at Perfecting Church at 7:30 p.m., moderated by Bankole Thompson, senior editor of the Michigan Chronicle. A candidates' forum at 6 p.m. for those seeking local and statewide offices will precede the debate.

Kilpatrick is facing a stiff reelection campaign since the text message scandal involving her son, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, leading to felony charges against the mayor.

Her opponents claim that Kilpatrick, who is also chairperson of the Congressional Black Caucus, has openly supported what they believe is the mayor’s wrong decisions on local governance.

The race is the first time Kilpatrick has faced a real challenge for her congressional seat.

Marvin L. Winans, Perfecting Church pastor, in a release said the church is hosting the debate because “Detroit, which is home to the automotive industry, is central to any effort to rebuild America’s urban cities. Candidates running for Congress from Detroit need to spell out for voters in concrete terms what they will do in making jobs possible in the city, as well as congressional earmarks.

“Those who want our vote must earn it. Monday night at Perfecting Church, we will provide them with a platform to do so.”

The debate will focus on a number of national issues that directly affect Detroit, including the economy, the crisis facing the Big Three automakers, escalating gas prices, the war in Iraq, faith-based initiatives, home foreclosures, homelessness and many more.
For more information on the debate, contact Richard Mack at (313) 365-3787."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.