Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jack White says he still loves Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The White Stripes frontman - who bashed Detroit in the press and sold his Indian Village manor and left for Nashville, Tenn. - wrote a poem about our fair city and sent it to the Free Press to publish. Whaddya say, metro Detroit, do we accept the olive branch?

Read the poem, which is surprisingly good, here:
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080706/ENT04/8 07060599/1035/ENT

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4615
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He bashes Detroit in the national press, then tries to kiss and make up in the local press?

kinda like beating your girl in public then telling her behind closed doors you didn't mean it

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is Jack White and who cares what he thinks anyway?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5079
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty good, especially the scene about watching the mail boat. Maybe it will be a song?

Was there more to his "anti-Detroit" comments than what the Freep writer mentioned? Saying that our music scene is negative (which it very well might be) and moving (for whatever combination of reasons) is hardly that big of a deal.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he certainly seems to have more respect for Detroit than many other musicians that came out of the area, like Madonna for example.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it! I caught myself reading it in a Dylanesque voice.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, so does Robin Williams, Dave Coulier, Billy West and Paul Roberson.

So, what's the point of this thread?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"....quoth the raven, Nevermore". He must have short-term memory loss. All he has to do is to read these posts to refresh his memory.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on July 06, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, it's just like a suburbanite.

He/She claims they love Detroit and stick behind Detroit when something positive happens.

However, when something negative happens, they avoid detroit at all cost, bash Detroit, and act like Detroit doesn't exist.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come back home Jack!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to hear Jack White's side of the story before passing judgment on him. I know he was subjected to lawsuits by one of his producers but I don't know the details of that case. There may be an element of jealousy and envy on the part of local musicians to the White Stripes meteoric success. I know Jack White produced a comp of local music to give exposure to them. I know that, on the coat tails of the White Stripes success, Detroit-based bands were selling out locations in other parts of the country and England. Jack White seemed to be supportive of the Detroit scene from what I've gleaned. I'm curious about what caused it to all go sour.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5238
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit based bands still sell out venues in other parts of the country.
Read those last three stanzas. Brilliant!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Who cares what he says.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack is totally whack. Were a meeting with him to happen, the question would be, "So Jack... how is Loretta these days?"

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's probably going slowly nuts in Nashville, as any Detroiter would probably do in a city consisting of Evangelicals, Alcoholics and Alcoholic Evangelicals. Less "White" supremacy toward the D, lol.

Give it another year.
He'll be back.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nashville is a SMALL city. I could only handle it for a week-end. Besides, it is mostly Country-Western. What a culture shock it must be for him. Never burn bridges!!

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never understood all the Jack White hype. He's okay...but only okay.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4248
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Besides, it is mostly Country-Western. What a culture shock it must be for him.

He likes country music. He produced an album by Loretta Lynn.

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Von Blondies never left Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7106
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise on another thread:
quote:

Well, that's your typical dumb suburbanite.

Detroitrise on this thread:
quote:

BTW, it's just like a suburbanite....

Detroitrise... why is it sometimes with you that "Mr. Mouth is moving, but Mr. Brain has nothing to say"?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nashville is a SMALL city. I could only handle it for a week-end."

That depends on who you ask.

To a New Yorker, Detroit would seem "small".

To a small town person, Nashville would seem like a "big" city.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 919
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hes from southwest detroit BTW...not a suburb...sorry

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the poem as a thoughtful gesture, and probably an indication that he regrets having hurt some feelings and alienated some people. He didn't have to write the poem or send it to the Freep. I'm not a Jack White lover, or a Jack White hater, but I thought it was nice of him to write us a poem and send it to us.
Since some of you are so fucking sensitive, especially about our city, try lightening up and having a heart, fer chrissakes.

Sebastian
Username: Sebastian

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack truly loves this city, but it has not always treated him well. Many of us who grew up in the inner city limits could tell the same tale. We love it for all sorts of unique reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that it is full of problems, and problematic people.
You don't take the time to write a poem like that about a city you don't care for, so I think his feelings are genuine.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i never understood the hate that many people had or still have for the White Stripes. It's like all the too "hip" people have to hate on them. The White Stripes drew a lot of attention to our city for a few years back in the early 00's. I have a copy of NME magazine "The Detroit Issue" which features a map of all the "hot spots in the city", a guide to the bar scene and a day in the life of a detroiter "which was really cheesy". The White Stripes have put out some pretty good stuff over the years and are awesome in concert, it's a shame people can't just lighten up...or light one up and listen to some De Stijl

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

larryinflorida
you have issues you need help.

People will move to where they are comfortable.
Deal with it.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty,

Just curious what word struck a little nerve with you?
Alcoholic
or
Evangelical?

Lol.

and Lefty,

You need Captial letters and commas, bud.
They teach that stuff in Christian home-schooling?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7489
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack is free to live wherever he wants. I wonder how many of you that are complaining would stay here if you had the means to move anywhere in the world you want. Larry moved from Detroit too, so I'm not sure what his beef could possibly be.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, there's no such thing as a typical suburbanite; just like there's no such thing as a typical Detroiter. It's funny how a few people here bag on someone for leaving and at the same time show the same negativity that caused him to leave in the first place. I've never read where he has had any complaints about Detroit other than the issues with the music scene. Jack White would know better than anyone what the music scene was/is like. He has certainly never avoided, bashed, or pretended Detroit doesn't exist.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7491
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe what Jack actually said is that he left because Detroit was too negative. Can't possibly imagine how he came to that impression!

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring more to Nashville's demographic.
Plenty of fine places to move in this land.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10187
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the Jack White's out there...fuuuck youuu!

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for him.
It was clear by his quotes that it all related to the music 'scene' that he grew in, those people and places, not our entire beloved city.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think icky thump is their best record to date and if it takes moving to new surroundings for inspiration, so be it.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This flamewar is silly because if you're lucky to be a pro musician your life is on the road, anyway. In reality he's not living in Nashville he's in a Marriott. No one's attacked Berry Gordy moving on to a Century City condo yet-THAT did far more psychic damage to Detroit than this guy ever did. And can you really say a guy who brought coolness & intrigue to the D is bad because you hate them?

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lighten up. It was a great poem whether you like Jack or not. A great poem about Detroit, no less.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7500
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No one's attacked Berry Gordy moving on to a Century City condo yet

Sure they have. You think they'd miss that opportunity?

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bit of a thread jack, however, since there is basically a whole thread bashing Jack White for leaving Detroit and huge thread discussion of "famous" people who once (sometimes almost a century ago) had a home in Detroit.. I had a question; are there ANY "famous" people that continue to live in Detroit after they become "famous"? I mean contemporary/"today" famous. Not Ty Cobb.

Just curious. I can't think of one current "famous" person who either stayed in Detroit (I don't mean Shelby township or Northville either) after "making it" or came here from somewhere else after becoming famous. Well, anyone besides broke has-beens that are basically slum lords and live off the public dime (Martha Reeves, I'm looking at you).

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eminem is just outside the Metro area, and Aretha Franklin I believe has several mansion around the area (one in Detroit).

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eminem lives in Oakland township. (KMart CEO's old house) Aretha's house in Detroit was almost seized by the county for back taxes. Her Bloomfield home (reportedly being used as storage) burned to the ground under suspicious circumstances a few years ago. I doubt she could claim "living" in either.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on July 07, 2008)

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He said his remarks were regarding the music scene in Detroit not the city as a whole. Detroit music scene does have a crabs in a bucket mentality and local radio sucks when it comes to playing local artists.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockcity2windycity-as for radio the opposite used 2 be true..I don't know why he picked Nashville, there's enough Coutry outlaws who rip on "Music Row" for having a whole set of problems of their own. A friend who works in radio was saying Kid Rock wants to crossover to C&W but no matter what he does, other than who he duets with or whatever, the format won't have him

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The format won't have him? That's like getting banned from an expressway rest stop.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack White's comments seemed direct, accurate and generally harmless. I liked the poem too, but his rhyming is really sad and bad <sarc>

Derrick Coleman made it and moved out to the nice suburbs. His investment in the city is still great, but once he "made it", he was outtie.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

accurate

http://www.creemmedia.com/_sit e/BeatGoesOn/GrandFunk/GreatTr ainRobbery001.html

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People live in Detroit or its inner-burbs
because they have to... not because they prefer to.

Ties that bind....

Monies that limit...

Circumstance that dictates...

Jobs that require...

Take your pick...all valid...

No poem will make it better...

Easy to romanticize when a necessity...

forxever

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.