Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mortar attacks(fireworks) are quiet.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 7051

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone notice that the usual Detroit artillery barage that starts about 3-4 weeks before the 4th has been absent for the most part this year.

During the last few years I thought that the local economy would slow down the personal fireworks, but it didn't.

It seems that $4 gas was the breaking point(fuel for your car or fireworks?).

Maybe $6 gas will slow down the ridiculous amount of fires in the city?

I doubt it....

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the inner-city party stores are still selling illegal fireworks under the counter.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which ones? I need to party! ha ha ha

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it's not illegal if you don't get caught. :-)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7051, word on the street is that you can boost your fuel economy by 743% by mixing your fireworks into your gasoline.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E85 ... M80 no big diff

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4888
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The price of fireworks has also gone up this year.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/0 1/smallbusiness/fireworks.fsb/ index.htm

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to Ohio for fireworks. There was this spot out in the country, can't remember exactly. I think it was Miller, I can find out. I used to buy them by the case load, sell some for a small profit and use mine for free. this was back in late eighties before the additional regulation,(even the Ohio fireworks arent as strong as they used to be) holiday shells were a blast. back then you could get a pretty big bang for the buck.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phantom Fireworks?

It's outside Toledo. :-)

http://www.fireworks.com/locations/showroom.asp?lid=19

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 04, 2008)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was quiet until about an hour ago, now it's nuts out there.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't Phantom. This place was a little jog out in the country.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by Phantom before. It was definitely the country, and a quick jog from Toledo. There's another location outside Toledo as well. The city/country transition is rather drastic down there. It wasn't too far from (I believe) the Davis-Beese Nuke Plant.

These are other huge Firework dealers (in SE Ohio)

http://www.ohiofireworks.com/locations_fireworks_ohio.htm

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 04, 2008)

Wallins
Username: Wallins

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have had fireworks in the neighborhood around Ford Hospital for three days. Some of them sound like a bomb and others are large and colorful like the ones you would see at the fireworks downtown. They shoot very high into the air and I am fearful they will land on a house and start a fire. How long would it take the fire department to get here if the neighborhood station is closed due to staff shortage?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people were lighting m80's in woodbridge, it sounded like bombs going off

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was typically active on the Detroit and Grosse Pointe sides of Mack. Balduck Park was perhaps a bit less active than in years past. But the days leading up to the 4th were not as loud as past years.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fireworks started around my house (SW Detroit) at least two weeks ago and haven't stopped since. Lately they've been setting off what I can only describe as munitions, because the house actually shakes. It's EXTREMELY annoying.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I get annoyed by the sound of fireworks, I try to imagine what it must be like to live in a war zone, and be appreciative that I don't.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn i thought this was only a problem in my area, i live in Pontiac. They start about a month before the fourth and end about two weeks after. Once the fireworks end it'll be back to the peace and quiet of the nightly sporadic gunfire

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of what you are hearing in the days and weeks pryor to the 4th, is simply gun fire, 7051. Count the reports, and if they come regular and are between 1 and 12, you got rounds being squeezed off. Some people find it hard to beleve that gunfire sometimes occurred in Detroit but it does.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5077
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that "most" of the noise in the weeks prior to the 4th are gunfire. Gunfire happens sporadically throughout the year, so we know how the sound compares to fireworks, and know that the average frequency of those blasts is nothing compared to the average frequency of explosions around the 4th.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 788
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that a good time to pop someone would be shortly after a Tigers home game on Friday or Saturday night. During the fireworks show.

Nobody would know until they found the corpse.

Perhaps I am sharing too much with you folks.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited some friends in Warrendale last night, and the streets and skies were alive. It was like a damn disco with all the lights, and very noisy. But I enjoyed every second of it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.