Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » A great Detroit quote « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this quote today basically by accident. It almost seems as applicable as ever:

“To one who cares about the direction of American life, the opportunity to address a Detroit audience is a privilege. Your city spells to the nation youth, growth, courage. Its pioneering achievements in the field of transport, of management and initiative have made its name a byword for industrial enterprise. Detroit, like other business centers has suffered intensely from the vicissitudes of the past years. Although it is hardly the place of an outsider to discuss your own difficulties, and their causes and cures, it is possible to consider, with Detroit as a background, the significance of these years and recognize the virility of American life exemplified here. Perhaps, also, the stranger within your gates may be permitted to pay tribute to the resiliency in the life of you community—that ability you show to rebound to the demands of a new day.”

James M. Landis
Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission
January 8th, 1933

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sec.gov/news/speech /1936/010636landis.pdf

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Detroit had a stock exchange.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, where 150 W. Jefferson (Madden Building) stands today. It only closed in the 70s. But i've seen that quote before, I think i was researching the DSE.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.