Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » FYI, Gas Gouging « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was involved in a Gas Gouging incident yesterday afternoon at the Marathon Station located at 25337 W. Warren near Beech Daly

The advertised Cash Pre-pay Price was $4.13 gallon.

I entered and Pre-paid $45.00 for a fill up but as I got to the pump I noticed the price was listed as $4.20 gallon. I went thru the procedure of selecting the grade and removed the nozzle from it cradle. The price didn't change to $4.13 as it should have. I did this procedure 2 more times before going back into the building to ask the clerk to reset the pump. He told me to go thru the procedure again and the price will automatically change, it didn't. I went back into the station and told the clerk his pump was malfunctioning he began to get testy as I kept asking for him to reset the pump or return my money.

I returned to the pump after watching him manually reset the pump price from his control panel and the price was then set for the advertised cash $4.13 gallon.

I began fueling setting the nozzle on automatic flow and as the pump stopped flowing fuel at the $45.00 limit, I noticed the price on the pump panel jumped back to $4.20, but the nozzle was still in my gas tank filler....Hmmmm strange

I placed the nozzle back in the cradle went back inside got my receipt, and departed.

Later on after I got to my destination, I did some quick math, $45.00 divided 10.8 gallons equals a price of $4.16 gallon.

I theorize that the clerk reset the pump price while fuel was flowing and it caught at $4.16 instead of the $4.20 he wanted.

True he only got .03 per gallon from me but how many other times has this happened and customers haven't noticed and he got them for the full .07 difference ? Those pennies per gallon do add up over the course of the business day/week.

I did file a complaint on the Michigan.gov Gas Gouging page but I like everyone who reads this post to be aware and pay attention when you buy gas, the price you see listed on the sign, may not be the price your paying at the pump

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 621
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up. You have to protect yourself at all times and be your own advocate.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed in the past couple weeks that a bunch of the BP gas stations on my side of town (Madison Heghts/ St Clair Shores) all changed their signs from showing prices for Regular/Mid/Premium to Regular Cash/Regular Credit/Premium. Be aware of the lower price on the top of the sign that you think you are paying isn't really the price at the pump when you use your credit/debit card.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood, thanks for the heads-up. Gas stations must be getting desperate. I've seen several go out of business lately, and now many are listing prices for "Regular-Cash" and "Regular-Credit Card".

Retroit

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great minds think alike!

Raptor56

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol... apparently

Raptor56

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed another new thing at the pumps. Instead of the usual 10 cent difference between each of the fuel grades, stations are starting to charge one price for regular, then there's a 20+ cent jump to the midgrade price.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can charge whatever they want for midgrade and premium, since there is almost no vehicle made that actually needs anything higher than 87 octane. High-end sports cars perform slightly better with higher-grade gas, but don't require it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4596
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds as though he changed price on you while you were pumping - the first few gallons were at the lower price and the last few at the higher price, averaging out to the $4.16.

The cash/credit situation is really a hassle for dealers. With prices were they are the dealers really don't have much choice because credit card fees are a percentage of the total sale and usually, when a station is a major brand, the dealer is contracted to using the credit card processor the brand specifies and isn't free to shop around for better rates. When I did books for a branded station the fee was almost 3%, which figures out to over 12 cents cost per gallon at $4.13 retail per gallon. That's more than a dealer earns on a gallon.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the agreement merchants sign with Via/ MC, etc that states you are not allowed to charge more for a credit purchase?

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They get around that by the cash/credit difference not being a "credit surcharge". Instead, it's a "discount" for paying cash.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things certainly are getting slightly out of hand these days. People raising monkeys in place of actual humans, no elephants at the Detroit Zoo (or so I've been told), and yesterday, on the news, was this lady out in California going banana's because her 40-year old chimp escaped and the whole police force was out in search of it, helicopters scouring the mountains and everything. My hometown, my homestate, and my homeland, is run by a buncha baboons, and two more are waiting in the wings to take over the whole enchilada. To relieve stress and get some intelligent discourse from the outside world, I come here - only to find this matter of price gouging our already depleted pocket books. It's almost like living in Planet Of The Apes - a world gone topsy turvy. The first half of 08 has been topsy, so get ready for turvy folks. Why, just the other day, I stopped by a local filling station to uppity up the ol' 4-door DeVille and observed that the sign read:

REGULAR
CASH ONLY

What could this mean? I did not know. I made a deduction which would've made Sir Conan Doyle proud, but that which I deduced seemed kind of ridiculous to me. So I just shrugged my shoulders and beat feet into the place and, jerking my head towards the direction of that sign, said to the clerk, "Regular caysh only? Superstitious, eh?" Oh, he mumbled something under his breath, "jerk", "asshole" or something like that, I don't know. But I flipped him some money and said, "Four on Five please. Oh, and by the by, this here is "regular" caysh". See, I figured it meant no Canadian or something like that. Or perhaps it meant no bills without the threadmark enstitched in it, what with all the paper money crime activity going on these topsy turvy days. Now I know what's REALLY going on with this. It is unethical, it is petty, and it is simply not right. You'd need a force of fifteen million armed men to counter all the different ways in which this country, this State, and most spectacularly, this City, is being played. We're footing the bill for the Dubai amusement park, eh?

Eh boy. And I spent the whole bus ride home from work conjuring up this little tale of dough. "Regular" dough.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They can charge whatever they want for midgrade and premium, since there is almost no vehicle made that actually needs anything higher than 87 octane.

A true statement, except for the "almost no vehicle" part..lotsa cars & bikes that'll hammer themselves to pieces on 87 octane fuel..be careful what you feed your baby, especially in this era of well-insulated interiors..you won't hear the pinging until it's time for a new set of pistons.
:-)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A station in Ypsilanti was recently busted for a more direct approach--they just covered up the price on the pump and charged more than they were displaying on the sign. I guess this is preferable to having station owners gun each other down.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A first, or second, generation Mazada RX7 requires at least a 97 octane. Funny thing is, is that the rotary engine requires an oil injection to get started - not gasoline. Quite contrary to the four-stroke internal combustion engine, which was what once called a gas hog. And also a collossal misnomer.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 944
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most older cars I've been around prefer 89. Put 87 in there more than once in awhile and they knock like a Jehovahs witness on a door-to-door mission.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive on M-59/Hall rd everyday and ive seen those 2 prices that everyone mentioned about the cash/credit different pricing. I filled up one day at the Citgo at the corner of M-59 and Van Dyke I went inside to pay cash and the price for gas was supposed to be cheaper, I got the shaft as well from that whole deal.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think that .9 cents might have lost it's marketing effectiveness by now ?

Retroit

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's three theories for the Cash/Credit Card issue:

1. As mentioned earlier, with cash, the gas station doesn't have to pay credit card fees.

2. The gas station gets their money quicker if it's in cash.

3. By forcing the customers to come inside to pay cash, they may buy some goodies, which is how gas stations make most of their money.

Anyone have any "inside knowledge"?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6861
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision #944, loved the door-knock analogy to cars. Rack it, HOF post.

jjaba just got gas for less than $2.00.
(Freddy's Taco Stand on Seven Mile Rd.)
((Use that one at the office; they jump out their seats fucking asking "WHERE, WHERE"?))

jjaba, on the Dexter Bus LOL.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5728
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civilprotectionunit4346, that Citgo station at M-59 and Van Dyke has some kind of "please prepay" signs on its pumps. That's how they know to give you the cash discount. Once you prepay they knock the displayed price down on your particular pump. That has been my experience there.

It must get annoying for the operator to reset the price for each and every sale.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4604
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It must get annoying for the operator to reset the price for each and every sale."

It's usually written into the POS software.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5729
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is that once when I didn't prepay he had to ask me whether I was paying cash or credit before he could set the price and turn on my pump.

There's another station in that area that had different prices displayed on the north and south faces of their road sign. I wouldn't think that would be even possible.

I guess they're not up on the latest technology. :-)

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh..I stopped in at the local Speedway a couple weeks ago. The price on the sign read $4.29 for regular..I just figured I'd missed the latest price increase and went about filling up. Then I noticed the actual price at the pump was $4.09..I went & told 'em their electronic sign was FUBAR'ed, & they said they knew, couldn't do anything about it, and were enjoying the afternoon off..that place was DESERTED.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZRx,

Most newish cars (just about everything sold here in the last, maybe, 5-6 years or so) have engine-control software that will back off spark advance when it detects from the knock sensor that you're using low-octane gas or bad gas. Power output will be reduced by a few percent but nothing much else will happen.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorta true..continually retarding the timing due to insufficient octane will eventually lead to O2 sensor & cat failures from all the raw fuel you're pumping out the tail pipe..but you're correct, it won't melt pistons & valves on a knock-sensor equipped car.
Sorry 'bout that..I tend to think in terms of hi-perf bikes these days, many of which are still carbureted & run steep compression.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, I'll add:
4. No disputed charges.

As for the entire situation, I used to be a manager of a gas station, and at that time, with our system, only management could actually change the price that you were shown on the pump. Now we did have a 6 cent discount on tuesdays with your shell card if you paid inside and it was a full moon and you sacrificed your first born to the credit gods, but that was taken 'manually' in the sense that i had to multiply the gallons by six, and used the 'coupon' key. I could not actually adjust the price per gallon until i became a manager, and then, it was every pump or no pump at all. Now, that was in 1997, systems and situations have changed, it may be different these days.

Also, our system wouldn't change the price on someone still pumping - that was set at the beginning of the transaction, it would NOT under any circumstance change the price. Other pumps would switch prices, one in use would wait until the ongoing transaction was finished, and then switch to the new price.

If, for some reason, this station is able to change prices mid-transaction, Lilpup is right, 4.16 is the average, not what he switched it to.

Now, what do I think really happened? look again at how much you pumped. It should be more accurate than just '10.8'. If you actually pumped 10.872 gallons, you paid 4.139 a gallon - exactly what you saw advertised.

And the reason the clerk got testy? People bitch about gas prices all day, and when at the pump, they don't take it out on the oil companies, they take it out on the poor minimum wage clerk. At best, it's the owner of the store, who honestly has no more control than you or i over the price, except for a few cents difference. Whoever it is, they're already on edge from dealing with this all day, every day.

Now you come in and complain about something outside of his control and demanding money back, meanwhile he's bracing himself to deal with this 'asshole customer' whether you meant to be or not. Remember he thinks the system was supposed to do it automatically, right? For some reason it didn't work, whether he doesn't know the system or it's broken, it doesn't matter. You're pissed off and yelling at him, and accusing him of gouging. Who's not going to get testy?

So, take another look at your receipt, using a calculator with the exact amounts and not 'quick math'.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13326
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Scottr.

Thanks.

Birwood

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr
$45.00 divided by 10.802 gallons equals $4.1658952....Now You Figure It!

Secondly, you explain to me how when nozzle is still in the filler neck with the trigger auto-flow set and as the fuel mark reaches and stops flowing at the $45.00 mark, how and why pump price jumps to $4.20 gallon. The Wayne County Ordinance Weights and Measures office told me that that price should NOT RESET until the fuel nozzle is back in the cradle on the pump.

A TURD...whether you paint it, dip in wax, wrap it in tin foil, or have it bronzed...is still a TURD.

The same thing applies to this place of business at 25337 W.Warren, Dearborn Heights Michigan

Lilpup

Post Number: 4611
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at your receipt and see if it gives the per gallon price anywhere, along with gallons pumped and the total $ of the sale - see if all the math works.

You can complain to the state easily enough (1-800-MDA-FUEL), but if the math on the receipt doesn't work out it'll be a slam dunk.

Birwood

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pup

Dude...re-read the original post, then re-read my last post...already filled out the complaint form on Michigan.gov, already talked with the Wayne County Ordinance Weights and Measures office

The posted price on Warren Ave said CASH $4.13 per gallon....I prepaid cash.

The price on the pump read $4.20.....nowhere anywhere was the figure $4.16 posted on either the sign out front or on the pump panel.

The $4.16 is the price I actually paid after doing the math $45.00 divided by 10.802 gallons equals $4.1658952 per gallon

A TURD anyway you look at one is still a TURD

Lilpup

Post Number: 4612
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but what does your RECEIPT say?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes, the trade-off for great mileage is paying for priciest fuel.

For example, Smart recommends that its Fortwo, the smallest new car sold in the United States, use premium gas.

Mini Cooper sucks gas

Retroit

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sneaky, sneaky! Automakers should be required to post fuel economy for each octane.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In June I went on a vacation Up North. It seems that the Detroit Metro area is the only area that is doing the cash one price and credit another price. Every place up there was all one price whether it was cash or credit.

The amazing thing was there was a small Clark station in Traverse City that still had full service. I couldn't believe it. Here this guy pumped the gas, washed the windows and asked if I wanted anything from inside the store. I did a double take. You don't see full service stations anymore.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You don't see full service stations anymore.

There's one in Franklin. Drive past it occasionally to/from work, but can't see paying a quarter more/gallon for full serve.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full service in Mio too. It shocked the shit out of me. A man at your window to ask what you need? Go to hell, Bluetooth talkers.here in Detroit. For the PC crowd.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.