Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit is in the Top 10 list of safest drivers in the U.S « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report, Detroit and 3 other cities are in the Top 10 list of safest drivers in the United States. The other three cites are Sterling Heights that came in 4th. Warren came in 5th place and Grand Rapids came in 7th place. Detroit came in 10th place. In the rack of cities with a population with 500,000 to 1 million residents,Detroit was 1st place.
More in the Fress Press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080701/NEW S06/80701088

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Great news!

Not only that, but if Detroit was still over one million people, it would have REALLY been at the top of the list.

Hopefully this somehow translates into lower insurance.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure a lot of that is because many in Detroit do not have insurance, so if they get into an accident, they flee the scene.
Besides, theft is why insurance is so high here. Once theft goes down, that's when you'll see a drop in premiums.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on July 02, 2008)

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if it has to do with density - much of Detroit is abandoned and therefore traffic is relatively light compared to, say, Houston, Atlanta, Washington DC, etc.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is almost twice as dense as both Houston and Atlanta.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oil company theft is an even bigger contributor to the stellar numbers. Five bucks gets my Cutlass to the next gas station. Who's got money for insurance?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey conducted by blind man tossing pointy things in the general direction of a dartboard labeled with various cities, IMHO..
:-)
Like Johnny Cash, I've been everywhere, man..and Detroit ain't NOWHERE near the top ten when it comes to "safe driving."

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2650
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, true, but unlike Atlanta & Houston, half of Detroit is abandoned. So you won't find any traffic around.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ironic thing is, that the Insurance Industry has also ranked Warren as the most likely place to have an accident in Michigan, with the #1,#2, and #5 intersections in Michigan with the most accidents. It doesn't make sense. I guess it depends on what report they want to look at. My car insurance almost doubled when I moved from Birmingham to Warren.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.