Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Freep breaks FBI probe story wide open « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080701/NEW S01/80701101

The main points:
1. FBI investigating FOUR City Council members
2. Multiple people caught on tape taking payoffs
3. It's one of the biggest Detroit government scandal in decades - and that's saying something when it comes to this town.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we turning into Chicago? I mean, this makes me ANGRY!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite part:

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the probe’s sensitive nature said they were surprised how cheaply some public officials could be bought.

“If you’re going to trade your vote, you’d think it would be for a lot of money,” one said. “Four figures is not a lot of money. They were selling their votes in volume.”

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kudos to the freep.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to the Feds!!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, if I knew they were running THAT cheap (I heard they were relatively cheap, but it sounds like there was a dollar sale over at CAYMC) I woulda taken a collection up on this board to have them do their friggin' jobs and put cops on streets and turn the damn streetlights on. [biting sarcasm and humor alert]

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So lets see that makes a mayor and 4 council members that are likely criminals?

Huh. I won't pretend government can solve all the world's problems, but top-notch leadership from the very top down is the only hope for Detroit. Instead the Top 5 are all filthy humans.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Scott Lewis at TV2 News for his work in busting Raymer Johnson years ago, resulting in the resignation of Henry Hagood, and for gathering the info that led to the bust of Lonnie Bates.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting, Scott!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13275
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Dvision, I'd have put in for that one.

Remember, though, the price is at least double if you don't look like them.

And Bernard's PAC always gets another 15 points on the top...to maintain the lifestyle of the big-headed grandsons, yanno.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Know what the worst part is?

If they're not thrown out they'll A) get re-elected, or B) someone just as bad or worse will get elected in their place.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what would happen if four council members are found guilty of such a crime? Is there just one big primary held where you pick four people on the ballot at once? Seems like a sure-fire way to get a couple more less-than-stellar candidates on the council.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is mentioning that is seems that the two council members that have stepped up to the plate in he past year (Kwame k. and Ken C.) have not thus far been indited. Go them.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

receivership now!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4586
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this going to take 15 billion years to be resolved, too? Or can we expect this being over soon so we can move forward?

Should we start a pool for who's safe and who isn't?
I have four I think are safe: 2 Cockrels, Watson, and Kenyatta. Who's the fifth?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

receivership now!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6082
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes, I'm not sure if it makes any difference about how many council persons fall, I think they'd do what they'd do in any case of vacancy: hold a special elections for the vacant seat(s).

Andy, just to make sure everything's clear, no one has been charged with anything, yet. And, if they do, why do you feel so comfortable that KC won't be part of the sweep?

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure smell special election but by the time this actually goes to trial they may already be out of office. Indictments are one thing, court dates are another. Meanwhile another cloud hangs over Detroit rebuilding.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken Cockrel Jr. has said publicly to the news media that he was told he is NOT part of the FBI investigation. That doesn't mean he isn't, but I'd look at the five council members who voted "yes" on the sludge contract. Seems unlikely someone would be on the take and then vote against it. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm about to throw this at ya.

Has anyone thought that maybe Ken Cockrel Jr. worked along with the FBI. Think about it:
1) Pissed at his Chief of Staff.
2) Monica called him Shrek.
3) Get even with some of the other Council persons he is pissed off with.
I worked for him, he gets revenge.
KCJ planned the Censure of Kwame.
KCJ has a sharp brain, but is a little mean at times.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4587
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares if he did? It's the right thing to do provided all the information given is legit.

Very disappointed in Sam Riddle's 'don't snitch' attitude, though not surprised since he, too, used to back KK and Monica Conyers.

'Don't snitch' is a major part of what allows all this shit to happen both in the government and in the neighborhoods.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiiide..I'd be a lot further inclined to believe someone in the Kilpatrick administration "worked with the FBI" before I'd dump it in Cockrel's lap..
This whole "sludge scandal" is music to KK's ears..throws doubt on his primary accusers in HIS illicit dealings, and takes the spotlight off of him as well.
I hate to say it, but I'm more than a little bit pissed off that the feds & the media chose this particular point in time to spring this news on us all..would have made me much happier if we'd been allowed to finish getting the first shark in the boat before they tossed more chum in the water..

Lilpup

Post Number: 4588
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given Rosendall's reported political contribution to KK, KK doesn't get a free pass. Interesting that Rosendall is also who set up Clark for the videotaping of a payment.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080702/METRO/807020367

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=5319aba9-d67e-4723-a2d8-d5304e69dd07

(Message edited by lilpup on July 02, 2008)

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have four I think are safe: 2 Cockrels, Watson, and Kenyatta. Who's the fifth?

My guess is Brenda Jones.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 860
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talabi?

Be interesting to see if the 4 being investigated are the same 4 in Kwame's pocket

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13276
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the first one we thought might be in his pants, too, from her hysteria.

Is it just the women he can mesmerize over Bar-b-que dinners?!

Seems so...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what Kwame went to Houston for last month?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder who the cheapest politician is to buy. I mean I would love to give a few thousand dollars to some political hack if I could make a few million in the process. It seems like that is the attitude of all these business and political crooks, so and so does it, why not me.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Collins, Conyers, Reeves, Talabi, hmmmmmm.
Houston, we have a problem.
Now kwame can say, see I'm not the only crook in this town.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 862
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But those 4 crooks are the ones voting no on every effort to remove him from office...

Methinks the FBI realizes this

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10183
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the flip-flop on voting for the tunnel deal? Seems kind of strange doesn't it?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the indictments and trials of these council members are not quick and decisive; and if Kwame Kilp is not quickly and decisively convicted in the wake of this unturning of city wide corruption, then I can safely say that Detroit is not ready to recover and rebuild in any sense.

Somewhere, someone has the power to make this happen, but they have yet to follow through with it.

This FBI probe needs to dig deep, and hard. No one should be safe. This FBI probe may be exactly what we are looking for in regards to justice for the people <and> moving forward.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope we don't have much more of this stuff with our politicians or people will start to think that we Detroiters are stupid or something.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite was Cockerell's response that he was not shocked but was disappointed. That statement in itself is disheartening about the entire council

Lefty2

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ It's like when a father tells his son who got caugt cheating on an exam, son I'm disappointed in you.

"stuff with our politicians or people will start to think that we Detroiter's are stupid or something."
- hahahahahaha - start to think...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7092
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, if it's the 4 in KK's pocket, then wouldn't the 5th "safe" councilperson be Brenda Jones? She refused to sit on stage during KK's State Of The City speech, and instead sat in the audience.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.