Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Fla-Vor-Ice vs. Otter Pops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got into a freeze pop debate at work.

I remember most pop culture details of my childhood: music, clothes, toys, food, etc.
At work here in Seattle, you could have knocked my co-workers over with a feather when I said I never heard of Otter Pops, and that I don't remember EVER seeing them in my grocers freezer, or in the convenience store.
The over-all response?: I had a deprived childhood, without the inclusion of these said "Otter Pops"

Apparently, they are a freeze pop like the Fla-Vor-Ice brand that I DO remember from childhood.
Does anyone ever remember seeing this in any stores in the city of Detroit, or even the metro area??? Please correct me if I am wrong - According to these Seattlites, every store in the nation carries "Otter Pops" . . .maybe I missed something?

http://www.otterpops.com/

[go figure! The debate is a moot discussion.
Poo-Poo to the folks at work who disagreed with me saying all freeze pops taste the same anyway. All of them are made by the same damn company!]
http://www.jelsert.com/

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 986
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid in Detroit in the 60s there were no Otter Pops. I don't remember seeing Otter Pops until the early 80s, when my son was a kid.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goldensunshine - funny you posted this! I was just going to put some Mr. Freezies Fla-Vor-Ice pops in the freezer since my grandson will be coming here for a little visit tomorrow. HA! Coincidence? I think NOT!

Anyway - to answer your inquiry. Never heard of Otter Pops. Must be a Washington State thingy.

And I don't think all freeze pops taste alike. Oh no - they are quite different tasting :-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Soda Pop flavored (A&W, Seven Up, etc.) ones, and the Jelly Belly flavored ones available at Rite Aide or CVS (I think) for $2.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had both flavor ice and otter-pops,The trade of was flavor ice was longer than otter-pops....geez..now I have to go to the store.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a case of some Fla-vor-ice from Ace hardware sitting in the back of my pantry for three years. They WILL evaporate. OK, now on to root beer fizzies, and milk shakes in a aerosol can from the 60's?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your coworkers are making up otter pops. they don't exist. I have never seen them, therefor They were never produced.

I used to like root beer fizzies... but aerosol milk shakes? ok... I DID MISS OUT!

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sisters and I lived off otter pops in the summertime (we lived in Grand Rapids- you could get them anywhere). Each flavor had its own otter to represent it. I remember loving the blue one the best because it had an otter ("Louie Blue") dressed up in a striped shirt and beret who was smelling flowers. I think he was supposed to be French, but mostly he was fantastically cheesy.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a box of 100 Otterpops in my fridge. Okay, there are about 42 left. I LOVE them and can't get through the summer without them. And they only have 15 calories! Before that I had a box of Flav-or-ice. Both are awesome...especially if you are a weirdo like me who doesn't eat ice cream.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up in Livonia and I definitely remember having Otter Pops as a kid (roughly mid 1970's); mom rarely purchased Fla-Vor-Ice.

Aoife, funny you liked Louie Blue as I cannot eat any of the blue ice pops. All I can figure is that it's something with the dye. I liked the flavor, but it would get my throat itching like mad and I'd start coughing whenever I tried to eat the blue ones; still can't eat them to this day. I've known only a couple other people who have had the same reaction with the blue. My fave...Alexander the Grape.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Flav-or-ice and the Costco lets me get them for almost nothing. I want to say I have a box of 200 in the pantry, better for you than ice cream and way cheaper.

Ironically, both Flav-or-ice and Otter pops are made by the same geniuses who figured out how to sell frozen flavored water for an insane profit, Jel-sert.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to google a pic of the aerosol milk shakes, but I could not find a reference! A friend loaned me a tape of old TV commercials from the early 60's and I saw that on a commercial, and it brought back a flood of memories.
Shaped like a fire extinguisher, that froze a glass of milk into a milk shake.
Or was that just a dream?

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bigb23, I found this comment out there by someone else withe memories of an aerosol milk shake...unfortunately I have yet to come up with any pictures

"Jack Frosted
Anyone remember Jack Frosted? It came in an aerosol can and was stocked in the refrigerator section of supermarkets. You just shook the can and squirted a small amount of this concentrate into a glass of milk, stirred, and had a real soda fountain frosted at home. --- Elliot, San Diego, CA, 1951, (Born In New York)"

I also saw something out there by the Reddi Whip folks who also came out with products called Touch N Shake and Touch N Malt. Unfortunately no pics on those either.

(Message edited by Thursdaynext on July 01, 2008)

Bigb23

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I thought it was just me!

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the primordial 1960's the reknowned Spencer Davis Group, I believe with Stevie Winwood, did a radio commercial for a product called "Great Shakes". " Any Place Can Be a Soda Fountain Now, Go to the Store and Get Great Shakes". It was done in a manner similar to their hit "I'm a Man".

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a couple of boxes of Italian Ice Pops in my fridge...make those others taste like water. If anyone is interested I'll go look at the exact name and manufacturer.

Detroitgalaxian
Username: Detroitgalaxian

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed many Otter Pops as a youngster in the late 70's and early 80's. Our Otter Pops most likely came from the Farmer Jack in Livonia that used to be at 5 Mile Rd and Levan Rd. So there were definitely Otter Pops to be found in Michigan.

Checking out the Otter Pops web site, I am surprised to see that the product logo, packaging, and characters still look mostly the same as they did 25-30 years ago.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursdaynext, that throat itching happens to me as well.....I thought it was something in the plastic though.....

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G.M. - I suppose it could have something to do with the plastic as all the flavors leave my throat feeling a bit funky, but the blue puts me way over the edge. It's the only one that heavily triggers the itching and coughing so I figured it must have something to do with the dye used.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.