Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Auto manufacturing in... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What say the about this little gem?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008 /06/30/watch-arnold-announce-c alifornias-deal-with-tesla/

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an economical impact standpoint, this doesn't mean much FOR NOW. Tesla is not a major manufacturer of automobiles and therefore this could end up being nothing but a flash in the pan, Delorean-esque venture. It also could end up being a company that grows into a major employer and a catalyst for many more similar companies looking to locate somewhere.

Now, with that being said. THIS is the type of company that Jenny G should be working her moles off to bring to Michigan. Michigan has a lot to offer when it comes to existing infrastructure and talent. It just seems that the word doesn't get out much. There is a great deal of alternative energy research being done in Michigan. I would go so far as to say more than anywhere else on the planet (Japan included)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tesla is a joke. I am positive there will be lots of electric cars, but based on their performance up to now they won't be built by Tesla. I believe they have delivered about two cars, and they still don't have a transmission that will allow their roadster to function properly.

Although Michigan can use whatever jobs it can get, some diversification might be nice.

(Message edited by mwilbert on June 30, 2008)

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if they're doing everything in house? Or have they sought some auto suppliers to help them with the important stuff? Cars today just aren't nearly as simple as they used to be...

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that a great deal of the work is being done in house. There isn't a supplier base for alternative energy components yet with the exception of the batteries and tires.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin, isn't Tesla already in Michigan? She already has worked to bring its R&D HQ here. SMART car's North American HQ is here as well.

http://ref.michigan.org/medc/n ews/major/combo.asp?ContentId= B3174583-C236-49EF-9490-0720B7 44C258&QueueId=1&ContentTypeId =7

I would agree we need more of these types of companies. They compliment our existing workforce, but we also need to learn to diversify a bit. We have too many eggs in the automotive basket.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7387
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a rumor floating about that Tesla had expressed some interest in the Wixom plant... Probably just nonsense.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember that rumor as well, but as with VW they have may have been scared off by the recent strikes.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4579
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Tesla tech center in Rochester Hills and there's no way they could use the Wixom plant. It's far too large.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.