Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Just a reminder, Peter Werbe is on right now 101.1fm « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder.

Im thinking about bringing up the whole 4th St Fair BS, not sure if that would be right though, considering the residents of 4th St might want to keep it on the DL.

Anyway, Petes on, listen up. Ive been Werbeed

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 961
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter has been a close friend of my family for a long time. I have always enjoyed his show as well

Django

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry folks, I thought the call in show went until 2am, hes got a recorded interview coming up.

Good George Carlin bit as the closer though.

Urban, I met him once at an joint opening I had, it was a pleasure. Ive been listening to him since like 83' Id love to know if hes on Dyes and who he is but I understand why he wouldn't want it to be known. Maybe he has a dual personality and is actually PG, LOL

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 962
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe he is on here, but I could be wrong. I used to go bird watching with him as a kid on Belle Isle and hung out with him at the 5th estate all the time. Not to mention incinerator protests and various other events.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On somethings Peter and I would disagree, but i have always enjoyed his show. somewere i got a tape of him interviewing Rob Tyner.I forget at times that i can listen to the radio and bore people on the computer at the same time.Didn,t he used to be on for 4 hours a while back?

Django

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem the show has been shortened. The last hour now is usually an interview pre recorded.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While i should be sleeping, got the riff on, didn,t hear George OH WELL, It was good seeing Carlin on SNL. Pete,s show has been taped interviews during the last hour for a few years now, as a teen i,d spend sunday nights listning to him. Always loved Halloween when he,d have local GHOST STORIES.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to enjoy Werbe's show quite a little bit..since the war in Iraq, I've grown a bit weary of the constant America-bashing..if our troops were to miraculously resurrect all of the killed innocents and establish instant democracy for the Iraqi people while simultaneously inventing a car that ran on water, Mr. Werbe would find some way to hang a "but" at the end of the announcement.
I probably lean about as far to the left as anyone who can still claim sanity, but that doesn't mean I have to listen to the Detroit equivalent of "Tokyo Rose."

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Werbe needs to be removed from the Detroit airwaves. I have no problem with people having opinons, but can't stand how Peter acts when you don't agree with him. If you don't agree you're a moron, an idiot, and uneducated blah blah blah. He expects people to listen to him and only agree.

I'm so sick of his bashing of the US and I can't stand how all he does is talk about the bad things are here.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Peter Werbe needs to be removed from the Detroit airwaves. I have no problem with people having opinons, but can't stand how Peter acts when you don't agree with him. If you don't agree you're a moron, an idiot, and uneducated blah blah blah. He expects people to listen to him and only agree."

But right-wing talk show hosts do the same thing. It is frustrating, I agree, but it's their show. Werbe doesn't bother me, but I usually agree with him. WRIF rocks!

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loves to blindly throw the "racist" card around first chance he gets. He's a real tough guy behind his e-mail account, too. Total. Fucking. Chump.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Werbe, but can't stand his new side kick. The show was better when it was just him. I tried to listen a few times, but the way she agrees with everything he says was too suck-uppy for me.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A number of years ago (7 ish I think), I stumbled upon Peter's show. He was entertaining at the time. Had some guests in the studio and was joking about becoming the next Howard Stern. It was an interesting and, at the time, balanced viewpoint show. I went away to college for a few years, and upon coming home, decided to swing the radio dial down to 101.1 late one evening. Much to my disdain and dismay, the show went from entertaining to far left wing jibber jabber. Not being of the type who enjoys far left rhetoric (or rhetoric in general), I changed the channel. Can't say I wasn't disappointed at the change. I even checked back a number of other times over the years to see if he was still the same. I used to enjoy listening to Peter's show. Now it just annoys me. It got to a point a couple years ago that without out George Bush or the war in Iraq, I don't think Mr Werbe would have anything to talk about, since those two subjects seemed to monopolize the discussion.

That's my 2 cents...

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Werbe, to me, comes off as a hypocrite. He always talks about Conservatives or anyone even slightly right-wing as being hate-filled, bitter bigots that judge everyone. Yet, in doing so, he sounds exactly like he's doing what he accuses them of doing.
He seems to obsess over things and people that make him mad. That can't be healthy. I've actually felt bad for him before because he'sseemed so perpetually unhappy with society in general.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I confess I haven't listened to Peter Werbe in probably 20 years, since I flew the nest. It's not because I don't like him, in fact he was a seminal part of my growing up. Used to listen to him just about every Sunday evening on my way to slumber. It mostly corresponded with my complete abandonment of mainstream radio. Mostly I forgot there were still a precious few good remainders.

What time is his show?

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always enjoyed Peter Werbe and I like Juline Jordan too. I met Juline at one of Peter's free movie nights last year. Juline is a delightful person, extremely easy to talk with, and she adds a lot to the show. The show is kind of empty when only Peter is on the air.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've listened to him on Sunday nights for quite awhile. And I don't think the "callers" are as carefully screened as they are for Hannity or Limbaugh. (ditto)

Let the discussion begin!

And more Werbe on the airwaves would be a treat.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 842
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to Peter Werbe, agree with most of what he says, have heard callers give him a good counter argument run for his money without him becoming hostile. Have any of you guys ever called into the show? I recognized his voice when he was on 9 mile with two women, he seemed to know someone at the recently closed record store. I introduced myself,he wasn't rude or overly dismissive, but wasn't exactly cordial. The show runs for 3?hrs. There is usually an interview at the end of the show.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4881
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter has the longest continuous-running talk show in Detroit 'Night Call with Peter Werbe' - for over 30 years 11PM Sundays WRIF 101.1FM. Unfortunately it is marginalize by running 11-2 Sunday nights. However you can listen to it online and from archives in off hours.

Peter has been a good friend of mine for decades. He is an intellect, a ferocious fighter for what he believes which is pro-little guy against the corporations and government, an athlete having excelled in bicycling, karate and handball, a blast at a party and a stand-by-your-woman guy having been married nearly 50 years to the same wonderful wife.

He was spot on correct on the Iraq war when all the lemmings were running off the cliff with Bush, and calls BS on both parties. "Don't call me a liberal", as he says, "I'm a radical." And that he is. So he draws extreme opinions, as this thread shows. Even I have my disagreements with him.

If he could have kissed butt, he would have made it big big, but he never did, not for a second. Instead he chose to poke fingers in the eyes of oppressive authority. Kudos to a great Detroiter. www.peterwerbe.com

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He caused Nolan Finley to say "Fuck you" at an ACLU panel discussion at WSU a couple years ago.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute..fifty years married? How the heck old IS Pete, anyway? He's got one of those deejay voices..always pictured him as a late-twenty-something..which is pretty funny I guess, given that I've been hearing him for twenty-odd years..

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I was thinking the same thing after reading that. I was picturing a 40 something semi-retired radio DJ who has traded in the every day grind for a longer-running-than-I-thought sunday night talk show.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4882
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha keep spreading the myth, Peter will appreciate it. Peter has been 25 ever since I have known him. No mellowing with age for him. He eats right and keeps fit.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get beyond the jerking knee and the rhetoric and you'll see... that he has not had an original thought in recent memory. He's the Goebbels (sp?) of the radical left: reading from a well-worn script that should have been updated years ago. And reading, instead of thinking, is what caused me to dismiss him as only a shaggy cartoon character.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4883
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about knee-jerking... That is a ridiculous comparison Craig. Peter is the type of person Goebbels and his kind would have offed first [and did], before he came for you and me.

When the notorious Michigan State Police 'red squad' was forced to reveal their illegal spy records, Peter's was folio was over 600 pages -- most for his anti-war activities and writings, in other words expressing his 1st amendment rights like denouncing the police state tactics that threatened all in Michigan. He was never charged for any of it.

Craig

Post Number: 877
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying that your friend isn't fun around a keg, but in my estimation he falls short as a thinker. Parroting ideology is not the same a critical thinking, and I cannot recall an instance where Peter Werbe was able to even feign an understanding of what informs opinions contrary to his own.

I'll put it differently: I would never ask Peter Werbe a question because his dependence upon ideology makes him untrustworthy. Taking comfort from Marx doesn't necessarily negate the value of one's opinion, but failing to weigh evidence and understand differing perspectives drives the value of one's intellectual stock lower than Delphi's.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4889
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clearly you do not know the man and are not "able to feign an understanding of what informs opinions contrary to [your] own."

Craig

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, I don't know Peter Werbe, but I do know what he reels out on the air and he comes across as I've described: a shrill Johnny-one-note ideologue with an unwavering devotion to a bankrupt philosophy.

This is the internets, and exchanges like this are little more than semaphore messages across the waves. A hippy with a decades-running weekly radio show has had ample time to lay out what he is and what he knows. Excepting the obsessive posters here I don't feel that it is possible to truly grasp the background and capabilities of a poster. I've studied Marx but you probably cannot discern that from "Craig" at DY; has Werbe studied von Mises, Orwell (per anarchist failures of the Spanish civil war) or William Conquest? I stand by. my assessment: Peter Werbe is not worthy of my time in a conversation. Plenty of other Marxists that I call friends who. appreciate the give and take of discussion.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4975
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Werbe isn't a Marxist.

Craig

Post Number: 881
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every anarchist, syndicalist, and Maoist stands on the shoulders of Marx. Red tinged with green is still red.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.