Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Roman Village-Springwells excursion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 828
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visited an ex in the hospital,searched for that Italian Restaurant I recalled being located in the Dix-Vernor Schaefer area. Found Roman Village over by Oakwood Blvd. Was that an Italian enclave at one time? Excellent resaurant from service to quality of food and presentation. Huge basket of bread that I should have known better to gorge myself on as I almost ruined my appetite. It came with a bottle of Olive oil and a plate for dipping. Perfect mixed salad with sweet house dressing. I ordered Linguine Delmar which featured a trio of seafood: Scallops; large succulent shrimp; and medium sized pieces of whitefish. Creamy tomato sauce. Wish I could have taken a picture of the plate. Last but not least I enjoyed a Cannoli covered in chips and draped with rasberry sauce. The patrons were a mixed crowd of casual blue collar-academic-well dressed.Not too pricey. Home cooked Italian with an upscale flair. My course cost $15.95 Coke and Canoli was another 6 bucks.

After finishing my meal I cruised over to Springwells and walked the Vernor Springwell corridor stepping into shops and window browsing. I ended up settling into a barber chair for a cut and goatee trim. New shop on Vernor. The jovial barber was very interesting as he was born here, returned to Lebanon when he was two years and settled back in the US thirteen years ago.We discussed culture, women etc.The neighborhood is very vibrant. Buildings were in great shape,with lots of families and couples strolling down the sidewalks. I was accosted by a couple of hookers but just ignored them. There was some drama involving a man with a female companion pounding on the window of a business talking tough and threatening the owner over some slight or beef. One of the employees came out and diffused the situation. A short time later I walked by the barber and employee and casually mentioned that he must be having a bad day, made them chuckle. The overall atmosphere was friendly, with sidewalk vendors selling tacos and some kind of plantain chips. Wish I had a couple of extra stomachs so I could eat again. Love sampling different kinds of eats.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have enjoyed Roman Village for years. They have a great "Family Special" carry out deal. Large Pizza, Good size portion of ribs, Pasta with marinara sauce, large salad, home made pizza dough-like bread and a large soft drink. All for $21.......We often get it on Friday and still have some left on Sunday. Also if it's any indication of recomendation, many Detroit and Dearborn Cops eat there often.
As for SW Detroit, live here, love the people, foods, activity, diversity, can't beat it. So welcome and return soon TerryH. Adios

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info,drove by Roman Village quite a few times, the next time i pick dinner[every other saturday] i should go there. Maybe get the family deal and get home quick. I enjoyed my time spent in SW Detroit. hey is VINCES still open?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7444
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roman Village is Arabian Village. The Yemeni Arabs push the Italians to East Dearborn on W. Warren Ave. and out of Dearborn Heights and Macomb County.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You bet homer. Cant wait to return. Vinces is still open. Very pricey. I decided not to spend the price that was asked and walked out. I would dine at Vinces if I wanted to impress a date, or was celebrating a special occasion. True@Danny.

Moetown
Username: Moetown

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pizza and homemade pasta at vince's is around
9.00 to 18.00. I was at vince's 3 times in the last 6 month's, still very good.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess its good I know the owners at Vince's then!

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vinces is expensive? Prices are definitely in the eye of the beholder.......

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giovanni's @ 330 S. Oakwood off Fort would be the expensive one. Has my vote for the "BEST" in town. Just can't afford to enjoy their fair to often. They serve delicious calamari, melts in your mouth.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GIOS! The Best! Caio!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.