Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Steps for NOT having your car broken into while you're at a Tigers game (or elsewhere in Detroit) « Previous Next »
Archive through June 29, 2008Plymouthres30 06-29-08  4:17 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually walk to the games, but if I drive I usually park at either the Municipal garage on Grand River or at the Michigan Theater garage. Never had any problems (knock on wood).

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the problem is that in the suburbs, no one will try to bust into your car to steal some cds.

i lived in Greektown for a yr and my neighbors, who'd all lived there 5-7 yrs, said to keep the car unlocked or get the broken window. I didn't listen and someone busted out my window of a 99 Sunfire (how desperate is that?). From that day on, i never locked the car and never had a problem again.

also, never park on any street from Congress down to Jefferson.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get a Suburban paper in the mail with the weekly Police blotter in it. You'd be surprised at how many people leave their purse/wallet and laptops/cellphones in a unlocked car overnight. Then they complain to the Police about the rampant crime rate.
Just use common and/or street sense wherever you are.
You make yourself the victim.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6818
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has no problems at Tigers games. Just find your "lookout man." When he asks for money, say I'll catch you when I leave.

When you get back, hopefully your car has been watched and lookout man did his job. So give him a modest tip if he's around.

This is the same system in place over at Tigers (Briggs) Stadium for the past 75 years. Park on Detroit City Streets and have some common sense.
All above rules apply. Nothing visible in the car ofcourse.

jjaba refuses to pay for parking and never has had troubles. Nothing worse than those lines getting out the lots.

Beware, clowns with a flag can work vacant lots. They play the cars and have no relation with the owners.

jjaba, Westsider.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Bigb, I read the police blotter in my local (GP) free paper and there is a steady supply of petty theft from unlocked vehicles, or from locked vehicles parked in driveways with aluables left in plain sight. It is an easy illustration of simple things to avoid, even if it's no guarantee. My neighbors leave their bicycle on the back porch, or behind a bush in the yard, and a friend of theirs has been leving his bike and trailer in plain sight on the side of the house near the sidewalk for a week now. It's always there, but that's true right up until the day when maybe it isn't. Maybe you'll stay lucky, maybe you won't. Mine are all in the basement. The simple things are no guarantee, but with so many other easy pickings out there it sure does increase your chances. The OP's suggestions were good ones.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you use a club on your steering wheel, all they do is cut the steering wheel, and take the club off

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course then again, I walked by Athlete's Foot on my way to the Tiger game today, and they had a window broken out completely.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a suburb, and last Thanksgiving we had a crime spree in our neighborhood one night. Several cars parked in driveways were broken into--laptops, GPS, IPODS, wallets and a GUN wre stolen. My husband and I (both born and bred Detroiters) just shook our heads. No street smarts in our neighborhood! I really couldn't believe that people would leave that stuff in their cars!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good common sense advice, Eastsidechris, this can deter probably 90% of all opportunists looking for easy pickings.
Some years back friends and I went to see Black Market at Alvin's on Cass near Wayne State. Our friend drove his Rivera, and we parked over at the little triangle lot just north of 94 and east of Cass. We were the only car in the lighted lot when we arrived around 11 PM. The driver had his golf clubs in the trunk, and the car was locked tight. When the bar closed, we were greeted with a parking lot as empty as it was when we got there three hours prior. I figured the car was probably gone before we hit the front door. We taxied home and he did the whole police and insurance thing. The hulk of the car turned up two weeks later in Detroit, with the clubs still intact in the trunk! The rest of the car was striped and abused.
I also had my 86 Chevy Malibu station wagon taken off the freeway when it broke down at 94 west near the Boulevard. It was a "hook n' book" the cops said. For an 86 wagon? "Yeah, the bigger the better" he said. “And they took it right to the scrap yard!”
Once, my brother had his car taken as well. Later, the fuzz said it could be found at such and such street, in the empty lot. When he got there the thing was striped down, with no wheels. The perps had to drag it, wheel-less, from the chop shop to the weed lot to get rid of it. When my brother asked the cops why they didn’t just follow the gouges in the road (as he did) right back the bad guys, they told him there was no evidence!
Kill switches don’t always work. My brother (yes, again) had an attempt on his mint condition 68 Mustang Shelby. He kept the parking brake on when he parked it, even though it was an automatic transmission. He took the indicator light out of the dash so a thief wouldn’t be tipped of by it when the car couldn’t move when put into drive. They found the (two) kill switches, replaced the coil wire he always took with him, but the thing that stopped them was the park brake.
Too bad the thieves don’t put all their ambitions into doing something good for the world, rather then making ours so costly and aggravating. Too bad the cops don't give a shit about it, either.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one I thought of:

Stop being a cheap bastard and parking your car near Cass Park or in the area behind the Fox and pay for garaged parking! Especially if you drive a nice car with lots of valuables in it. It works all the time!

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if i Drive an GMC Envoy where would be good place? i do have really dark tinted windows (20%) so they do not see anything inside lyin around just incase, but at the same time would want to make them crack a window to see whats inside? any ideas?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to Tiger games as a kid (1970's), my dad, cheapskate that he is, used to park in a lot that was run by 2 old grannies armed with rifles. They reminded me of that old lady on The Beverly Hillbillies. Needless to say, we never had any problems! ...and what an experience for a sheltered suburban kid, especially the night games!

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7352
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is a great example of why Detroit is pathetic and has a LONG way to go.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always park in the underground parking facility just north of Compuware. For ten dollars it seems like a nice safe spot, but I'm always surprised by the small number of people who use it. When I total up the cost to go to a Tigers game I'm not going to sweat $10 for parking.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work very hard for everything I have. If I get ripped off as you all are describing, not only do I lose my hard earned possessions; a busted window would set me back financially, insurance or no insurance.(I have insurance) I'd really be screwed if they took the whole car.

I can't put myself in a situation that would be conducive to causing me hardship. I have enough hardship. I can't afford to suffer the consequences.

I know, I know, that makes me evil around here. Sorry. I don't have the resources to cover replacement costs.

How do you do it? How do you put up with it? How do you afford it? What am I missing?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also park in the underground lot north of the Compuware Building, which is actually called the Premier Garage, or as I like to refer to it as, the Hudson's basement.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This thread is a great example of why Detroit is pathetic and has a LONG way to go."

FWIW I've never had a car broken into in Detroit. Windsor? Yes. Ferndale? Yes. Ann Arbor? Multiple times. Detroit? Nope.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7366
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK then Lilpup, as long as it hasn't happened to you, I guess it isn't a problem. I guess the numerous reports of theft and assault that appear on this forum almost daily are all lies.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think many of you are missing the point of the club. Should you have one on your car it is a signal to the dead-beat that you are not an easy mark. He will move onto the next car unless you are dumb enough to leave stuff out in the open.

Generally people with Clubs also have their VIN etched in windows or have a kill switch.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those private parking lots by Tiger Stadium ,usually in somebodys front or side yard , never saw the two old ladies with rifles though!

Lilpup

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say it doesn't happen, but to imply, as many do, that it's specifically a Detroit problem is the lie.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7369
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup - You are playing an old game here. Of course crime happens everywhere, but given the statistical probabilities, you have a far greater chance of being a victim in Detroit than in Ann Arbor which is one of your examples. Ann Arbor has less than 200 car thefts per year, Detroit has close to 23,000. Per 100,000 people, Ann Arbor has 153, Detroit 2591. Enough nonsense.

Otter

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, a friend of mine had her car window smashed and purse stolen in Chicago the other week. "This is a great example of why Chicago is pathetic and has a LONG way to go."

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7370
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, crime in certain areas of Chicago has been getting worse, so although they are not pathetic quite yet, they have a ways to go too. Seems that urban living has its drawbacks.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 829
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hop on the bus. It will drop you off right in front of Tiger stadium. Park in Ferndale or another burb and grab a Smart ride on the smart bus.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4565
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't matter, PG. Any stats you want to spew doesn't change the fact that my car has been broken into more times in Ann Arbor than in Detroit.

Otter

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by otter on June 29, 2008)

Otter

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<x> happened in <your city>. This is a great example of why <your city> is pathetic and has a LONG way to go.

Some crimes in some parts of Chicago have gotten worse? OMG, Who knew? Clearly it's time to move. Next thing I know you'll be telling us some crimes in some parts of _Detroit_ are getting worse too - ZOMFG!

Come on...if you just want to imply your preference for living in a quiet suburb rather than a large city, you're not contributing a whole lot to the thread.

(Message edited by otter on June 29, 2008)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7371
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just stating facts Otter. You and Lilpup's so-called "contribution to the thread" seems to be to deny the issue being discussed here is representative of a larger problem. It is nice to play pretend, but living in a fantasy world is not going to solve anything.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on June 29, 2008)

Otter

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 2nd car was broken into in February when I left it at the Amtrak station during a trip to Chicago (dumb, dumb, dumb!) Nothing in there worth stealing, but they did strew all the paper crap filling the door pockets and center cubby all over, and some guy somewhere got to listen my Cheo Feliciano CD.

I subsequently parked this car in my garage where it sat until a couple of weeks ago when I drove it, still with busted-out window and misc. crap and glass all over the pass seat and floor, to a DSO concert because my other car was undergoing maintenance. Vehicle was parked on Prentis for a couple of hours and not touched, and I had to wonder whether, in theory, any potential hood who walked by the car would conclude that someone had just beat him to it and it wasn't worth messing with :-)

I would not recommend this as a theft-deterrent measure, however.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"living in a fantasy world is not going to solve anything."

Neither is repetitively harping on negative aspects while ignoring positive ones.

Otter

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure - you can start another thread about 'why people who disagree with me about the significance of crime events in large cities are living in a fantasy world' or 'Detroit's problems with crime, peoples' perception of it, and approaches for dealing with it' in another thread. But this one was started to suggest 'steps for not having your car broken into.' Just saying 'detroit is pathetic and has a long way to go' merely because crime occurs in it is pretty banal. You can do better than that, huh?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another one is not to park around street lamps that have been tampered with.

This whole topic has always intrigued me.

I've had a smash and grab outside the former Agave on Canfield near Cass. That car was a trip. 92' Hyundai Accent. It had so many problems and recalled defects there were never fixed. The car did not lock properly, and if if it did, I didn't have a key. The key had broken off in the ignition. You just had to turn it to start it. Even without locks, they decided to brake the window. Why? Apparently they really wanted the factory installed AM/FM radio. Not even a cassette player.

I was commuting from the suburbs at the time. Shortly after that, I moved downtown. I never had a problem sense then. Luckily I had piece of mind though. Right after the move , the car wouldn't come out of park without hitting a semi hard to find override switch. Plus the brakes didn't work. I was using the parking brake. I figure they wouldn't be able to figure it all out without getting caught or crashing. Even if someone did get it going, the head lights would often short out... or begin to do a bizarre flashing thing. Plus, it no longer had a radio to worry about.

What's intriguing about all this is how totally clueless so many are (including me at some point). For starters you have the people leaving valuables in there cars period. I agree this is hurting our economy. This is not how it should be. Something that you might want to consider, is that they (suburbanites, country people, and people from other areas) really don't lock their cars and doors. I agree this is ignorance, but they really have no common sense about this. I mean they don't have that sense that we consider common. Why would they? They are completely surround by people who act this way. The younger ones, aren't being taught this common sense. So when they go somewhere, the thought to hide valuables and take the face plate off doesn't always even enter their mind. The younger, the worse it gets. They end up learning by experience. The really sad cases are the those that have been told how horrible Detroit is by everyone they know. Then they come to the city and have something like this happen. I'm thinking a good amount of them will end up believing the horrible reputation is deserved.

Now that being said, I really am convinced many of them are pretty dumb. There was a case in Westland where several kids decided to go up and down the street stealing the change out of all the cars. They made off with several hundred dollars. No windows were broken. Apparently, every car on the street was unlocked. My friend and I were walking around a Livonia sub division talking about this. Now here is the bizarre thing... we were noticing the cars throughout the sub. Car after car was not only unlocked (apparently), but many had there windows down (semi late mind you, 11 or 12). Most were pretty nice cars. Some had valuables out in plain view. One pickup even had the keys in the ignition. We were not going up to any of these vehicles mind you, this was what we noticed from the sidewalk. Not smart, no matter where you live.

Now, these criminals are even worse. Besides risking so much for so little, they are also doing it all wrong. Really, by some of these stories, most cases don't sound like "professional" criminals. They stick to where they live, and steel from themselves (their own community). But what truly is interesting, is that most people lock their doors, and invest in some crazy theft deterrents in Detroit (urban areas in general). However, there are neighborhoods in the suburbs just a few short miles away, in which thousands of people have no security devices, don't use them if they do, and love to brag about how they leave everything unlocked and out in the open (I know of several very large homes in the suburbs owned by friends and family, that do not even have working locks).

As far as the other topic being talked about on here; Lilpup, you took the bait...

...A few of the negative posters in this thread (not all) complain and complain, but can be quoted saying something to the affect of having no intent or desire to help Detroit, or it's supporters. So why would they continue to post those negative comments? They aren't trying to help, they themselves say that.

Troll... like trolling the water trying to hook a fish, only they are trolling for people to give them attention. Someone to fight with perhaps?

Don't worry, I don't get it either.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm like 'Pup..been parking on the street in Detroit for twenty-odd years, never had a car touched here..had a set of rims stolen in Northville, a stereo & CB in Farmington, and a fire extinguisher ( at Livonia Mall, but never an issue here in the city.
Did get my motorhome generator swiped while the RV was parked in my driveway..dedicated thieves, musta been..thing weighed a ton and was bolted down from here to next Sunday..
On the other hand, my niece had her ratty-assed old Dodge Caravan stolen THREE times in & around Hamtramck, and an equally ratty Cutlass Calais stolen twice downtown.
What the other folks said..your car really doesn't need to be impossible to steal to deter thieves..just harder than the one parked next to it.
:-)

(Message edited by ZRX Doug on June 30, 2008)

(Message edited by ZRX Doug on June 30, 2008)

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Detroit have a bait car program? It seems like a good idea.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

benjo-bait car and bait bike program would be good

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SoD... you don't even know how often I get made fun of in RO, Troy, Bingham Farms, etc. for locking my car and putting valuables in the trunk. I get told you only need to do that in the ghetto, that none of those type of people are here, etc. etc. etc.

I don't care though. It's still smart and a policy that has served me very well. It also reminds me just how little city-focused and suburb folk actually interact.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Another one is not to park around street lamps that have been tampered with.

How do you tell the difference between "tampered with" and just plain "not working?"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13207
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Everyone,

After reading yet another of Sean's posts, resulting in some of my brainmatter spilling out of my ears,

I heartily apologize for my wordy, rambling posts throughout the time I've been on this board. Please forgive me.

Sean, perhaps we can cross-edit each other, talk this shit out and THEN post the results?!

I'm not quite sure that leaving things on the seat of your car damages the economy in our town.

quote:

What's intriguing about all this is how totally clueless so many are (including me at some point). For starters you have the people leaving valuables in there cars period. I agree this is hurting our economy. This is not how it should be.

But that does indeed seem to be what you just said.

Now I've got to clean up this mess. Brains! If ONLY there weren't so many holes in my head.

CHEERS!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5050
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most of the downtown is busy and bright enough to discourage thieves if you park on the street. I park on the street whenever physically possible, and normally that is after-hours for events, and also have never had issues. Most recently it was on Randolph south of Congress, and it sat their all alone until after 1am.

Brush Park is good to park in during the day, but I wouldn't want to be east of John R at night, because so few people are inhabiting that area.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in brush park for four years, and by the time I moved last june I had my drivers side window busted out 7 times.

It happend once on the street, the next 6 times were in our secured parking lot surrounded by a 10ft iron fence. There are tons of people who travel through this neighborhood, game days or not, many to utilize the community service agencies west of woodward (NSO, COT, and a few meth clinics). there was a decent police presence in the neighborhood, and I had fairly attentive neighbors, plus there were several dogs in the building, but the fact is, in a city, there is a ton of noise and often people just don't notice people breaking into cars.

I should mention that no one ever actually tried to steal the car. Almost every instance the car was ransacked looking for valuables, or more specifically, just looking for change. The thing that killed me was that I never locked my doors after that first incident, but I always activated the alarm - no one ever opened the doors (activating the alarm) they just broke the window, then crawled in and out.

Funny thing, now I live in a neighborhood on the eastside that many would consider much worse than brush park, but I park my car right next to my building, and my dogs hear anyone coming near the place, so I have never had anyone even attempt to break in.

It not ok, and it is a total pain in the ass, but having a car broken into is more of an inconvenince than anything. I don't want to be one of those guys that say "it happens everywhere" but it really does - look at the newspaper crime watch of any community located on a major expressway in our area and you'll see similar problems.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, that was a mistake. I meant economic development. I was making reference to DV's comment on the first page of this topic. He said;

"It shouldn't be that way, and it's a major deterrent to economic development."

My mistake.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.