Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ren Cen Movie Theatre « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, there is yet to be a good main stream movie theatre downtown, and the one in the ren cen is kind of calling my name. Might be nice to ride a bike down there and see a movie. Has anyone been there, experiences? I walked by it once and it looked kind of ghetto.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is now being run by Ilitch's movie company. Probably a good thing - expect some changes.

I've enjoyed the few movies I've seen there.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what do you mean by "ghetto", Detroiterbychoice? Was it ghetto because it did not have giant movie posters and larger-than-life kernels of popcorn dangling from the ceiling? Please explain.

I've been there a couple of times, most recently to see Sex and the City. Seems like an okay place to me. It's certainly no AMC or MJR, but not a bad place to see a movie if you don't want to drive to the burbs.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would never describe the Ren Cen as "ghetto"

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I never actually got to see the inside of the theatre. We got there right when the movie started and there was no one at the counter, all the doors were locked (the movie was playing I think), pop corn on the floor in the lobby, looked a little run down.

How are the screen sizes, sound, etc? I want to go tonight to see "Wanted" and want to make sure I get the most of the effects, etc. Im a fan of the director. He did Night Watch and Day Watch (2 really good russian films)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not the stadium seating and foam padding that the suburban megaplexes offer, but for a more reasonable price I think it is absolutely worth saving the gas. The screens are what they were before the mega-theaters became standard. The popcorn is very good when it is fresh. I'm not saying it is not always fresh, but I have not had a bad experience with it yet.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have watched movies there a few times. its cool, i like it, its not the big screen places. but its downtown, no loud talking, not crowded. sound was good.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a somewhat related note.

How long until the residents of Birmingham put up a stink about how the streets around the Palladium are cluttered with kids "hanging out"?

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha. I was contemplating going to the nice theatre in Bham, but I dont want to deal with the kiddies.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 953
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coming Cadillac Centre is supposed to have a multiplex.

Source: http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/cadillaccentre125 08.aspx

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll see if the Cadillac Centre project actually happens.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there once. It was pretty basic, but who wants all of the frills anyway? The weirdest thing was that there was no one to take the ticket before going into the theatre.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul

Did the same person that sold you your ticket also have to run over to the concession stand? Whenever I have been there, they only had one person to run both counters.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, well I didn't get any concessions, but I would have done that if I had known--just to see that happen and laugh. I'm pretty sure that there was only one person that I saw working there when I went. Felt like I could buy a ticket to an early show and then just stay in there all day going from movie to movie without anyone noticing.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me lame, but I like the little water fall things next to the concessions counter. They have not been on the last couple times I was in there though.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11815
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And what do you mean by "ghetto", Detroiterbychoice?

They the Fairlane Star some weekend and you'll figure out what ghetto is real quick. People, of all sizes, shapes, and races, who don't know how to shut the fuck up during a movie. Hop from theatre to theatre, one step ahead of security, cause mommy and daddy are using the place as a day care for their teenagers. Last, but not least, people who think it's ok to talk on their cell phones, and allowing their ring tones to play while they hold off answering. THAT is what a ghetto ass movie theatre experience is in my book.

As for the RenCen, it was hardly ghetto when I visited. Hell, it was hardly attended! Perhaps 10 people tops when I was there last. Just don't expect your modern day movie experience, as the place can't hold a candle to your typical big screen in the burbs.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angrydad, the residents of Birmingham were complaining about kids hanging out downtown before the theater opened.

I've been downtown when the cops did a sweep of minors.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex and I used to stroll Rencen and attend films back in 89-early nineties. The place was never crowded, always a good experience until we decided to see the Tom Hanks film Joe and the volcano. It was a real flop.Didn't strike me as ghetto.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole complex has a policy where anyone under 17 MUST be accompanied by a chaperone over 17.The policy prevents problems like disruptive youths loitering around or rough-housing.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there a few weeks ago. The popcorn was not fresh, and they didnt have their card machine in yet so movie tickets, etc, all had to be paid for with cash....just lucky that we had enough, because I usually dont carry much cash.

It is a different experience than the Palladium, but I am glad it is downtown, so I can save on the gas.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4490
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to go to the Ren Cen theatre last Christmas season, between new Years and Christmas. I took an out of town visitor there to try to change some opinions. We got there about 5 minutes late, but no one to be found at the ticket counter. You could hear the movie playing, but no people to take care of you. So we left.

We went to Seldom Blues for a drink, big hit.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And "Wanted" wasn't that good. Coulda been better than it was.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhhh yeah, that reminds me. There credit card processing terminal is ALWAYS down, so you'll always have to pay cash. That's slightly annoying.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as of a couple of months ago, CASH ONLY! keep that in mind.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Detroit could use a mega plex, but only if it blends in with the urban fabric.

I always thought renovating one (or some) of the old movie houses would work. :-)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used my credit card several times there in the last few months. This must be a hit or miss thing.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Credit Card situation there is spotty. Ever other trip there I've been able to use it. Plan on using cash. I believe there is a EDSCU ATM tight around the corner, but I may be mistaken.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13212
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you need the big screen experience in this theater...sit in the front row. It is ALL a matter of perspective.

I am NOT a fan of too large of screens that make you turn your head to see all the motion...it is WAY too fatiguing. You should be able to sit with your head perfectly still and follow the action with just your eyes...but too far away and you're only using that smaller portion of your eye/brain that focuses, NOT the periphery that engages motion and makes you feel a part of it.

That said, I like the RenCen theater, except for their lack of bodies to juggle the responsibilities. One time when I went, the sound was just horrible, and it was a simple fix.

I went out to complain, and the poor-overworked fellow behind the concessions stand got all wide-eyed when I proposed the solution...luckily the slightly older female manager showed up right at that moment and made it happen.

They could use one more body there always, and there is NO excuse for a credit card machine being spotty. I'd have another chat with that manager, and possibly go over her head if there is no timely response.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.