Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Catfish: The Keeper of MCS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did a search and found nothing...

During a recent trip to the Michigan Central Station I was informed of a Detroit legend known as "Catfish." I know a lot about Detroit history, and many unique stories of Detroit's abandoned past, but I must have missed this one.

From what I hear Catfish was the unofficial "tour guide" who lived at the depot during the 90's and even managed to earn some dinner money showing people around. Any DYesers have personal stories of Catfish to share, or of any of the others who lived/live in the empty hulk?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned him in a thread I was writing in recently. I couldnt tell you any more than that. Id try another search, cause someone def mentioned him as I was talking about going through the old station. I wouldnt mind meeting him myself.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several years ago, Michael Hodges of the Detroit News wrote a wonderful story about a guy who was, the article said, the last person living in the station. Very memorable tale, but I don't recall the guy's name.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catfish gave tours. He met him 8+ years ago. He showed us around the building. He said he was a Vietnam vet. I can't remember the specific floor he lived on. It was still marked last time I was there.He talked about about a building nearby that had a photo of the MC5 in it's prime. I don't recall what it was anymore. He told us how he watched the Kiss show at the old tiger stadium. Some kids shared some beer with him and they could see the giant video screens from the roof.

I ran into him several months later and he said he was moving. He had heard the building was getting torn down soon. I never saw him again. He was awesome. He made you feel like his was your own personal tour guide paid with beer. He knew a lot if history.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure since this is only hearsay, but I heard he's turned his life around and is no longer homeless. I sure hope this is the case. He's definitely a Detroit legend.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen him mentioned in web sites about urban exploration, especially exploration in Michigan and the Detroit area.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 893
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His tags, or those of people using his name, are all over the building. I have never met him, but have always wanted to.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most of the tags are other people who have met him. Not sure though. I seem to remember a lot of them stating Catifish is cool or thank yous to him. It's been a while since I have been in.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 965
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't remember if the MCS Glaser Doc has an interview with him, Harpernottingham might remember better than I do? anyone seen it? It has been like 4 or five years at least for me.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah catfish is in it...
train station
The last train left the station on Jan. 6, 1988. The building has sat "vacant" since then. Shot in 1998, produced in 2004, (access to the building is completely closed now) this documentary weaves personal memories with stunning visuals of Detroit's long abandoned Michigan Central Train Depot. The historic gem, another in a number of Detroit structures in ruin, was designed by Warren & Wetmore; the same architectural firm that built Grand Central Station. Various visitors wander in and out of the station, each stopping to recount what the building has meant to them. Catfish; the homeless person who became the unofficial caretaker for over 2 years, Hazel Love; whose father worked for the railroad for over 40 years, and Jim Harlow who, fascinated by trains, worked as a dispatcher at the station, among others.
http://www.glaserproductions.c om/clips.html

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 967
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://streaming.thecreation.c om/glaserproductions.com/catfi sh5.wmv

Mommydearest
Username: Mommydearest

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Access to the building is completely closed now." Don't we wish. Here's another instance of someone giving Detroit a bad rep internationally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s weetjuniper/2606963935/in/set- 72157603305754157/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.