Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » FBI probes City Council for sludge-treatment project « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh,oh. Here we go again...Looks like its Monica Conyers this time (surprise!)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080627/NEWS01/ 80627113

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard rumors of this earlier today. Sad, but not surprising.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Riddle mentioned this on Mildred Gaddis' show Friday morning, though he didn't name the company involved. The Feds had talked to him a couple of times and he quoted Stephen Murphy as saying whoever gets Murphy's position after he leaves will have the pleasure of announcing all the indictments coming down.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 421
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm ignorant I know, so forgive me. But where is the crime at in this?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kickbacks from the company involved to the council member(s) who sold 'em their votes to approve would be my #1 guess..
Does anyone know who voted for/against on this one or how to find out?
I'm crossing my fingers that all three of the Wit sisters are involved, myself..much better way of getting rid of 'em than waiting for the rest of Detroit to wise up & vote 'em out.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 947
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug,

I wouldn't necessarily expect there to be a rush of qualified, honest, responsible, and hardworking people willing to take their place... :-(

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but at least it'd be a DIFFERENT group of crooks, and I could live in blissful ignorance for a while until they were caught at whatever hanky-panky they engaged in..this whole issue of KNOWING your government is crooked and not being able to do much about it drives me apeshit..
:-)
And there's always the possibility of electing an honest one..law of probability has GOT to be in our favor on that, don't ya think? We've been flipping the coin and getting "tails" forever, we're way overdue to get "heads."

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just pure conjecture here, but I noticed that the company is based in Houston. Kwame claimed a month ago he was down there on city business, and denied that he was attending some sort of a legal defense fundraiser.

Could there be a connection between KK and this company??

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 949
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm mmmmm....see. Why all of a sudden did her tune change about KK....what is done in the dark!

Citizens UNITE!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's how business gets done here, don't no one understand? They probably got phone calls and photos too.
graft
corruption
paybacks
kickbacks
slander
bribery
extortion
cronyism
nepotism
patronage
embezzlement
money laundering
trafficking

..MURDER

(Message edited by lefty2 on June 29, 2008)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what kind of kickback Conyers got? A years supply of Detroiters' shit to spread on her lawn?

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo-hoo-hoo! The $hit just keeps getting deeper..
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080628/NEW S01/80628045

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Clark was caught on video tape accepting $2,000 on two occasions. He is Ken Cockrel's wife's cousin.

From what I know of JC, can't see him doing this on his own, without the approval of KC.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13166
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty,

You forgot murder in your extensive listing.

No cheers in this one. RIP, Tamara. You did not die in vain, just from someone else's vanity.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 957
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a game of chance. It's a game of skill. We aren't going to flip a coin and just get lucky.

Defense!

We have to plan ahead. We have to protect ourselves, our communities, our businesses, and our entire city. Maybe we will get lucky and get a good one, but even they can sometimes be bought. Even if they stay true, there is no reason to rely on the possibility that they are one of the good ones. Other cities have governments just as corrupt as ours. I dare to even say that some of our own suburbs do too. They learned how to handle it though. They learned to protect themselves, and they learned to trick those who are corrupt into still doing good things done in their community.

Another thing to think about...

Say you where to open a business in Detroit... a restaurant lets say. You know you are going to have to deal with theft. You do your best to stop theft, but despite your best efforts, it continues. No matter what you do, there will always be people who get you.

So what do you do? I would think that you would start budgeting for it. You would expect it, and if it is predictable (it often is), you budget it. It is simply another expense. Many large companies also have to do this with lawsuits. No matter what you do, someone will always try and sue you for something. It usually is predictable once you know your industry, location, and business well enough. It becomes just another expense. Now, I'm not saying we should just accept it. That is also the wrong attitude. I am simply saying we should plan for it, whether we can stop it or not.

We will not be getting many honest people into office around here anytime soon. In other places, the political leaders want more than just to hold such and such position. If they want more, they had better be doing a great job at their current position. It's a very powerful driving force. Could you imagine what a great job any one of our politicians would be doing if they wanted more? Imagine how much Mayor Kilpatrick would be doing in Detroit to impress all of us if he wanted our vote for a national position? We would love him, or anyone else with that dream. That is what really makes a good politician.

Unfortunately, the problem is that is not going to happen anytime soon in Detroit. It's not going to happen because running in Detroit is political suicide. If you become mayor of Detroit, you don't have any further goals. You know Detroit will be the end of your career. Even if it wasn't, other places will get you their sooner, with a lot less work and risks to your reputation. For now, I fear we are on our own for the foreseeable future.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fanchon Stinger was suspended for attending a Townhall meeting in SW Detroit with Rayfer Jackson. She wasn't there as a reporter.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7383
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that this morning about Fanchon. Yikes!

More info:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080701/M ETRO/807010360

quote:

K & L Enterprises Inc., an Illinois company that sued Jackson in Wayne County Circuit Court and won a $300,000 judgment, alleged in a court filing last year while trying to collect on the judgment that Jackson had run was using one of his companies, RAS Contracting LLC, to "fund a lavish lifestyle ... shop for luxurious clothes, eat at the finest of restaurants and enjoy the better things in life."

In the last 14 months, the Internal Revenue Service has filed two liens against Jackson for more than $473,000 in unpaid federal taxes, according to the Wayne County Register of Deeds office.
Jackson and Fox 2 Detroit anchor Fanchon Stinger were named as co-defendants in a 2007 lawsuit filed in Wayne County Circuit Court.

After questions were raised Monday, a Fox Television Stations spokeswoman said Stinger "has been placed on paid administrative leave pending a further investigation by the station."

Stinger did not return a call to her cell phone.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7454
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recall the entire city "CLOWNSIL"!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7388
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uptown
Username: Uptown

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Riddle: "You wear a wire in this town and you're done"

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080701/M ETRO/807010406/1361

I especially like the last 2 sentences in this article. Particularly telling about the political atmosphere that is resonating loudly through the streets of Detroit.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7399
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That aside, Riddle said that without a doubt, he believed Detroit is one of the most corrupt and malfunctioning cities in the Western world.

"The only difference between Detroit and Third World nations in terms of corruption is that there are no goats in the streets in Detroit."

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL - I've seen a lot of chickens, wild packs of dogs, as well as a small cow once over on the west side. No goats though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7401
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. The State Fair is in Detroit. I'm sure there has been a goat there on at least one occasion.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uptown, take a look at this Time article on Zimbabwe's thug leader, Robert Mugabe. If you substitute Detroit for Zimbabwe and KK for Mugabe in the article, wouldn't it, unfortunately, still sound accurate (minus the massacre accusations)? Sad.
http://www.time.com/time/magaz ine/article/0,9171,1818209,00. html

(Message edited by EastsideChris on July 01, 2008)

(Message edited by EastsideChris on July 01, 2008)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Riddle's snitch comment is unfortunate. Given the context in which the comment is placed in the article, one might conclude that Mr. Riddle would be a proud wearer of the thug "No Snitch" T-shirts that find too wide of a market in the hood. But it seems unlikely, though, that Mr. Riddle would be a proponent of the cultural practice of non-cooperation with legitimate law enforcement efforts to combat street crime. That is a very serious problem that harms the quality of life for the urban poor in many U.S. cities.

Reading between the lines, hopefully Mr. Riddle is only rejecting the snitch role when one has also apparently been targeted by law enforcement and perhaps also been told that he or she should either snitch or face indictment.

There are lots of people around this town today trying to recall whether they have had any "inappropriate" cell-phone conversations with Mr. Riddle in the past year or so.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

goats

goats coming from CAY ... looks a deal's been struck.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7087
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mentioned Mugabe Eastsidechris, I just did the same on another thread...

Swingline, ah yes that No-Snitch attitude that our forumer Blksoul_x seems to like so much.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13268
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not only SEEN goats, I've tasted fresh goatsmilk.

Unfortunately, the fellow who introduced me to it, and his absolutely beautiful baby goat, is no longer with us. Easily one of the greatest losses to our city this year.

I'm pleased to see the pheasant population increasing and even saw a red FOX crossing the road down by Chene Park amphitheater last year!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 975
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA!

Gannon, I've been claiming to have seen a red fox around there for the past couple years, to my roommates boyfriend. He insist I am totally nuts! I will have to show them this.

LOL, thank you!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.