Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Belle Isle Beach - Perfect « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4867
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some time ago it was asked about the condition of the Beach at Belle Isle. Today, following handball at what are probably the best outdoor handball courts in the country, I stopped to cool off at the beach and thought I would share a couple of pictures to show how nicely they are groomed every day, as they have been for three years now.

Belle Isle Beach Deroit

Belle Isle Beach Deroit

Oh, and the water was so clear and refreshing. It is a foot deeper than last year so the wade out to plunge point is much shorter. The view cannot be beat. Enjoy!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the beach at Belle Isle! It is such a refreshing place. I dont think people understand the quality of the beach and the water is all top notch.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks phenomenal! What condition was the beach in before they started grooming it daily? Was it maintained at all? How far out does the sand go?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 771
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the handball courts at Belle Isle are nice and I plan to check them out soon. However, it would be tough to beat the handball courts on the beach at Waikiki. I played there regularly in the 80's when I lived there. Played against basketball great Wilt Chamberlain a couple of times, only beat him once. He had that long reach.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 947
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great job...I know I might get flamed for saying this but it might be time to reopen the toll conversation for the island...this is truly one of the last jewels!

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beach is very nice, and I've swam there several times, but Belle Isle sure has a unique strain of flying rats. Guard your food, because those guys have no fear, and will steal the burgers and dogs right off your grill. Kamikazes I tell ya'. :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4869
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin, the sand goes out to the ropes. However some parts have a fair number of small stones that can make some discomfort for tender feet.

Downriviera [love that handle], handball on Waikiki would be awesome. Send me a ticket; I'm ready to go. I have played Venice Beach in LA and Rainbow Beach in Chicago, but Belle Isle's courts are the best for the game. The old courts use to be on the beach. The new ones are on the edge of the forest by the cricket pitch and athletic fields, very beautiful setting but not as dramatic.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know they had handball at Venice Beach. I play paddle tennis there. If you can, post a pic of the Belle Isle hand ball courts.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get why so few folks use this beach?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time we visit Belle Isle beach it is always packed. We have seen a lot of models using the beach lately to take their shots. oOOH LA LA

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they groom it like a baseball infield? That doesn't look terribly...soft? Is that the word?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks very nice.

Why do they groom the beach every day?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't get why so few folks use this beach?"

The same reason people don't eat their veggies.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF does that mean?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: I don't get why so few folks use this beach?

I guess the surfs not real good for boarding there.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6069
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol! at "surf" on the Detroit River.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing. So underrated!

<313>

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pictures. I remember going there with my family when I was a young kid. My grandma would hold up a towel in front of a tree so I could change. Kind of embarrassing for a young kid. We quit going when somebody cut his foot on a broken bottle. That's probably why they have to groom it every day. I had no idea that the beach was still there.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: Gotta hand it to ya...you really know how to create a serious case of homesickness...thanks for the pics of the Belle Isle beach...so many memories.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beach is beautiful (even in the rain, like the last time I was there)and is one of my top three favorite parts of Belle Isle. Ironically though of all the times I've been to the beach, we've never been brave enough to wade into the water. I used to row out of the Wyandotte Boat Club when I was in high school in the early 2000s. My boat ( a pair ) tipped in the river once and I've been afraid of the water ever since. Is there anywhere to go to find what the water quality is?

Username: 7051

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water quality here is as good as Lake St. Clair. Metro Detroit's drinking water intake is near Belle Isle. Further down river near the sewerage plant and Zug Island the water quality may change.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't get why so few folks use this beach?

no one goes there any more, it's too crowded.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BI beach was alot of fun from late 70s to early 80s. It was great place to meet your everyday girl (girl-next-door type).

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang! That's got to be the cleanest beach I ever saw! Too bad they can't keep the streets of Detroit that clean; the seagulls live better than the people!

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm honestly amazed at how perfect that is! Too bad the rest of the island doesn't match...
I am going to check out the beach for sure after seeing those pics.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprisingly, it's almost always empty.

The city should market it better.

That beach alone would lure more people (especially suburbanites) onto Belle Isle, let along Detroit. :-)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOC/DPC

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on June 29, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.