Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mexicantown Recommendations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I have not eaten at every mexican/latino(is that politically correct?) restaurant on the southwest side, my favorite is mi pueblo taqueria.

I'm taking some people who don't have much experience in mexican town and the surrounding areas to dinner tonight. Realizing it is summer time, and taking into account, atmosphere, outdoor seating maybe, drinks and of course food etc., what suggestions do you all have?

I know there are a bunch of threads out there, so disregard this one if you choose.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mexican Village Restaurant. Generic name, authentic food!

(Message edited by detroitstar on June 27, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Los Galanes a few weeks ago, and it was superb. The food was delicious and plentiful, and the service was great. It's kind of kitschy and looks small from the front, but has a big back room.
We used to also love Armando's but I haven't been in a while, as is true with El Zocalo. Both delicious as I remember them.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Peublo is hard to beat. You might try La Brisas, they have entertainment on the weekends.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For food and drinks, you nailed it on Mi Pueblo. But, if you want to sit outside and listen to music, it might have to be Los Galanes.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Las Brisas is good, and is quite far to the west of the touristy part of Mexicantown. Closer to the east end, perhaps try El Comal or Mexican Village.

Really, there are so many good places to eat in there, it's hard to pick just one. I stay away from Xochi's just because that's where the college kids hang out and I'm too old for that scene; there's nothing wrong with the place per se.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want something a little more Mex than Tex, check out Los Corrales on Junction right at Dix. Have some real Mexican food, then shoot a game or two of pool. Los Altos on Vernor is also a favorite. Pretty authentic

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best IMO is El Barzón on Junction just south of Michigan. No booze last time I was there, but they were applying, so I'd check. I do also like Mi Pueblo. For Central American, try El Comal right there on Vernor.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO. Dona Lola's on Springwells...

Tacoaficionado
Username: Tacoaficionado

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the El Barzon recommendation. Try the Red Snapper or White Fish Ravioli and the Asparagus Soup. However, they still don't have a liquor license. Dona Lola's is also excellent and the owners are the friendliest people is Southwest Detroit. Also, nobody has mentioned the best deal in Southwest Detroit - Taqueria Nuestra Familia - cheap and delicious. Not to mention they have the GREATEST pre-meal salsa/dip spread.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pollo Chapin just got written up in the Metro Times. new restaurant, guatemalan style chicken. sounds very good.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will with Dona Lola's as well for authenticity of the food.

As far as my favorite, I will always go for Xochi's. Their steak fajitas with cheese on top gets my motor running.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

being from New Mexico, I think Taqueria Lupita's is really, really good! It's right across the street from Xochi's on Bagley.
I tend to like taquerias better than actual restaurants. What's the difference? Technically, I dunno :-) taqueria's tend to be more "hole in the wall" or street vendor style, authentic, and lots cheaper. They also seem to specialize in tacos, tortas (mexican sandwiches), seafood tacos (shrimp, fish), shrimp cocktails (which is usualy shrimp in tomato juice with onion, cilantro, avocado-served cold)

Xochi's is good too....they have booze for sure and it might be a safe bet.....but I highly recommend going across the street to Lupita's and at least get a taco , they are only $1 so see if you like it!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo reminds me of McDonalds.

There's a hundred restaurants on Vernor, Bagley, etc, try them.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will throw my hat in the ring for El Barzon and Dona Lola's. We had stunningly slow service when my friends and I went there recently, but I don't hold it against the place if it only happens once. I had chicken with a black mole that was really good. Not as good as the place in west LA I ate at this winter, but that place specialized in mole, and El Barzon's was pretty close.

I like Dona Lola's because it is seafood and it is different from all the other latin american places around.

I really, really wish there was more regional Mexican food available in Detroit, though. E.g. Veracruz (I think los galanes has a veracruzana menu), oaxaca, yaucatan...

Here is a nice snack suggestion for those of you who are so inlclined. Quesillo is a popular street food in costa rica. To make some, get some corn tortillas (no flour!), mexican string cheese (usually called queso oaxaca, also known as quesillo), mexican or central american-style sour cream, and a white onion. Dice the onion and pickle it in vinegar for a bit to tone it down. pull of some string cheese and heat it on a tortilla (I use the microwave). Spoon on some onion and sour cream (cold), wrap up and eat standing up. I got this from my former manager, who is Peruvian but grew up in Costa Rica and Miami. I love it.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am seeking a place with tacos el carbon, gas grilled chicken and steak with an open salsa bar.
any suggestions?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East I agree that Mi Pueblo somewhat looks like you're eating at chi chi's, but the reality is that the food is excellent.

Question though, why does mi pueblo only have suadero, and not carne asada. Moreover, anyone know what the difference actually is?

Further, we always talk about the fact that Detroit doesn't have this or that, but really, although there are some mexican restaurants in Pontiac, almost all of the mexican restaurants in Detroit Metro are in Southwest Detroit and not the suburbs. Am I wrong?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

deandub have you been to the Taqueria on Dixie Highway in Waterford (on Pontiac Border) I just saw it the other day and I was wondering if it's good.
I dont know of any other mexican restaurants in the burbs outside of Mexicantown....well, let me rephrase that. I am kind of afraid to eat at any mexican restaurants outside of Mexicantown.
also I dont *think* there's a huge difference between suadero and carne asada. I think it's just a different cut of beef.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is The Mexican Phone Company.

(a.k.a. "Taco Bell")

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terminology varies, but I believe carne asada ("roasted meat") is a general term; several cuts can be and are used for it. Suadero is a better cut, I think close to skirt steak.

My experience with El Barzón is that it's their way or the highway, but if you are patient you'll be rewarded with a really good mole sauce at a very reasonable price.

Lupita's is also good and cheap. Try the tortas, Mexican sandwiches. I especially like the sausage-and-egg one

(Message edited by texorama on June 29, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo is good. As for the more Americanized restaurants, I prefer Los Galanes.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to eat at the Subway on Vernor near Dragoon. Sometimes I mix it up and eat at the McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.