Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Fine Arts on Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a fire here this morning which got me to thinking. a few months back a woman was murdered here in what they called an execution style murder. i haven't heard a thing since. just wondering if any of you have?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt the woman killed the owner? There was some shady stuff goin on as I recall. Sounds like an insurance job. Was the building destroyed or was it just a small fire.

I believe there was some talk of that murder on Dyes after it happened. You could probably do a search for it.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ACLU has taken over the former cafeteria of the Fine Arts Building but it appears that the theater part is up for sale.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant recall how the place is set up. Is it two diff buildings? Ive rode by it plenty of times but never really paid much attention. I didnt realize the ACLU could take over one part and the other could be up for sale unless they were two diff buildings. I dont know about this stuff so someone plz school me.

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, they are two different buildings. the aclu used to be a cafeteria on the first floor and the oldest african american art museum on the second floor. the owner of this building used to live behind it in an old warehouse. but, i think the aclu also bought that too. the fine arts is definetly up for sale and it seems there is some work going on inside. maybe they are still cleaning up from the fire?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7141
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't confuse the Fine Arts Building on West Adams in Grand Circus Park with this Fine Arts Theatre up on Woodward in Midtown.

The West Adams Ave. Fine Art Building is the office portion of the Adams Theatre, which was known as an "Alley Jumper", where the main floor patrons went to the auditorium via a tunnel beneath the alley, and the balcony patrons went across a skywalk above the alley.

This confusion has arisen in the past, so I just wanted to clarify that.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14183651/detail.html

Here is the story on the woman killed in the building.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some quick thoughts on the Fine Arts Theatre and the Midtown, Detroit area surrounding it.

The Ellington (as was agreed upon by many in another thread about lack of condo demand) and others failed because they were attempting to attract people who cared about social and economic standings. Those people are simply not interested in Midtown right now.

In my opinion, Midtown does not need to be perfect. However, Woodward, at the least) needs to look presentable, and be free of blight. It also needs more amenities in a urban environment.

Keeping this short; I see the Fine Arts Theater as a GREAT location for a small community movie theater. Think the Civic Theater and surrounding area in Downtown Farmington.

Theater website link: http://www.downtownfarmington. org/AboutTheDowntown/CivicThea ter/CivicTheater.html

Downtown Farmington Live Map link: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1#Jnd oZXJlMT1GYXJtaW5ndG9uK1JvYWQrY W5kK0dybmQrUml2ZXIrQXZlbnVlJTJ jK0Zhcm1pbmd0b24lMmMrTUkmYmI9N DIuNDY2MzA5NTcxMjA4OSU3ZS04My4 zNzY4Mjk0NzYxMzA1JTdlNDIuNDYzN Tc2MDIwODYyJTdlLTgzLjM3OTYyNjI 4OTQzMTU=

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, what the hell is wrong with you?

No one did confuse the two. You just heard the buzzword "fine arts" and added your automated response. Can you sense it? Does some sort of irrelevant historical segue signal go off in your head?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it really necessary to be so rude? If you find a post pointless, why bring MORE attention to it while insulting the poster? Just ignore and move on?

Is it really that hard to do?

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, I know a lot of people who are confused by the Fine Arts title, and a little clarification never hurts.

I also hope something positive comes along for the Fine Arts theatre, with Zaccaro's and People's Records moving in down the street it's another piece in the puzzle.

Gistok

Post Number: 7143
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze Chow, sounds like someone needs some anger management.

In case your brain was on cruise control... the Fine Arts Building is NOT on Woodward. That is the Fine Arts Theatre. People were calling it the Fine Arts Building. Wrong!

Thanks Sciencefair and Sean, not everyone is on the same playing field when it comes to building names. I just never thought that someone would go "postal" over a simple clarification.

About 2 years ago an opinionated former poster by the name of "Brian" and I were arguing in a thread over The Fine Arts... and you guessed it, we were inadvertently arguing over these 2 different buildings!

(Message edited by Gistok on July 26, 2008)

Gistok

Post Number: 7145
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and speaking of the Fine Arts BUILDING... has there been any work started by Ilitch Holdings on shoring up the facade to replace the collapsing wood frame building behind it?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are other buildings in Detroit that have similar, and confusing names.

On another thread, we were just discussing The Park Avenue Building and the Park Avenue Hotel.

It's enough to make you crazy, I know.

Gistok

Post Number: 7149
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, IIRC, there's a few others... Colony Club Building, Century Club Building, Women's City Club Building, Women's Exchange Building... etc...

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit - not sure what you mean, 'that the Ellington failed.' I would say so far its been the most successful development in the area. 6 more condos have sold in the last month and a half and the retail business is always brisk. There is demand in Midtown for all types of people. Don't stereotype, its so 1990's.

That said, I love your idea for the Fine Arts Theatre. Make it happen. Ideas are somewhat cheap in Detroit, but pro-active action is expensive.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that was the 3rd homicide involving the owners of the Fine Arts THEATER over the last 10 years.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are all kinds of examples of citizens in Detroit taking action themselves, rather than depending on the City. Detroiters have started hospitals, orphanages, community action groups, ...all kinds of enterprises to add to our quality of life.

If there is truly an interest in this, take a lesson from Grandma & Grandpa and organize yourselves. Now is the time for those who have a vested interest in community theater to step up.

The citizens can do a lot: start the ball rolling, websites, even small donations. But who could really "make it happen"? How about actors, directors and writers who were born and educated in the Detroit area? A great way for them to "give back", it would help Detroit out tremendously in both prestige, publicity and dollars.

If Detroit were England, Julie Harris and Ellen Burstyn would be knighted by now. Madonna wants to produce? Watch her public image soar if she gets involved in Detroit community theater. Would you try out for a musical produced by M? Do you think it would get any publicity? Do you think anybody would come to see it? LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.