Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » German Website Detroit Bashing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A satirical article in the Deutsche-Welle saying that maybe German soccer fans would be safer in Detroit or nuclear test sites.

Write an e-mail to educate the author. I hate this BS. I understand it's satirical but the fact remains that Detroit remains on tip of the tongue when thoughts turn to "dangerous American cities".

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/arti cle/0,2144,3439165,00.html

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's write everyone who makes a joke about us so we get the reputation around the world as a bunch of insecure, humorless babies.

Who gives a shit what someone in Germany puts in their little satirical piece?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Hockey_player. :-)

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to embrace the shittiness of our city. From what I've seen, there's no place like home.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this had mentioned Cleveland or St. Louis you likely would have had no problem with it. Are we seriously going to get worked up over german satire? Grow a pair.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The author also mentions South Central LA along with Detroit and nuclear test sites, which Drankin21 did not include in the original post. Is it ok to bag on any other U.S. location, just not Detroit? I propose a letter writing campaign to Drankin21 to inquire as to this oversight. ;)

What's funny is the author seems upset that the embassy posted a warning about soccer fans creating a disturbance. I'm pretty sure all embassies do this including the German one. To take offense that someone points out how raucous soccer fans can get is pretty silly. I'm sure the German police will be briefed that there is the possibility of disturbances and traffic congestion as well. Is he upset at that?

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a pair thank you very much.

It just gets annoying and does not get me worked up. And I do give a shit what someone in Germany puts in their satirical piece when the butt of the joke is (once again) the place I love.

Sorry to have pissed in your Wheaties pointing it out.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not Boston, Dallas or Seattle, or...? Capice? It's the inference...satirical or not.

A more general listing would have been more appropriate, as in "some American rust-belt city".
Any journalism student knows that what's singled out, is highlighted. Thay had to know they were going to get called out on this one.

I'm one Detroiter who doesn't lie down and take crap like this. Too beat down to care? Damn, that's not the Detroit I know & love.

I sure didn't appreciate the comment, satirical or not. And I very briefly, let the editor know.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7063
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, most Europeans wouldn't take much note in an anti-Detroit article. Europeans are very intrigued by Detroit in an urban chic sort of way. They don't poo-poo Detroit anywhere near as often as non-Detroit Americans do.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Dresden and everyone was asking me about the Techno scene here. Unfortunately, I am too old for Techno... :-(

It seems we should promote our music more.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit. It is my home and I will defend it until the end. But when The Onion, Jay Leno, or a German tabloid make fun of us, I will not lose sleep. It's the New York Times, NBC News or Chicago Tribune who's opinions I truly care about.

It's not cool to pick on my city, but I can tolerate a good joke here or there. What bothers me most about this entire situation is how we sit here every damn day and bag on Cleveland or any handful of cities we consider lesser than us, but we cant handle a satirical article from 10,000 miles away.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have met a lot of Germans through work and they have all just loved Detroit. They have been so pleasantly surprised because of the image they had and have admitted they were totally wrong. That said there are a lot of insecure, idiotic,pompous and lame Germans who enjoy making fun of everyone and thing that is not German.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3512
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re-read the article again to get the context of what they were saying.

Jeez!

Gistok

Post Number: 7067
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That said there are a lot of insecure, idiotic,pompous and lame Germans who enjoy making fun of everyone and thing that is not German.

Sec106... and how are they any different from Americans... or the French?

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Just saying that in my personal experience there have been quite a few Germans who seem to be even more arrogant and pompous about their country then some of our own arrogant folks.

Gistok

Post Number: 7069
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Germany is the world's leading exporter, I guess they can have some bragging rights...

But yes some of the better educated "Herr Engineer's" and "Herr Direktor's" and "Herr Doktor's" can get pretty snooty...

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok - no offense, but the addressing of Herr Dr. etc. has a reason, namely the fact that in Germany and most countries in Europe, these titles are protected, meaning that you can only legally use them if you actually earned the degree from a University and posses the diploma. And it's no easy task. Unlike in the US, where anybody can call himself an "engineer" of whatever discipline, like the famous Domestic Engineer, meaning a simple housewife. This has been a pet peeve of mine to no end during my time in the US.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a lot of German friends that I have met through techno. Any German that is into techno is intimately aware of Detroit's place in the history of techno and have a fondness for Detroit. That goes for most Europeans that are into electronic music.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to the article, all I can say is Get over it, cause it's not like that in the rest of the world. Detroit is NOT perceived as the ghetto, bombed-out, Iraq style city as many of you believe. Most people I've met so far know of Detroit, and what they know is that it is an Industrial city, not exactly a tourist attraction like LA, Miami or NYC, but that's about it. Those I know who've been there on business trips got a different opinion, from the suburbians telling them how dangerous it is, to stay away, etc. Metro Detroit is the city's biggest enemy, not foreign news papers.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the shoe fits, and it seems it still does.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman, you're right about that too. As a matter of fact, the Love Parade will be in Dortmund on July 19, which is kind of the DEMF or Movement of Germany, and a lot of people have commented to me very positively and interested about Detroit when they heard I lived there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.