Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » People Mover to close for four weeks on July 20 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 808
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080625/NEWS01/ 80625046

Good thing it is after the fireworks.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the question is; will anyone notice?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will i use it to park cheap and get around downtown when i go to festivals.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, pretty sure that most can walk anywhere that the people mover travels.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking is faster.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not use the DPM too much, but I think it does serve a good purpose, especially in the winter months. I am one that would prefer to walk downtown, but you cant deny the good the system does to shuttle people from stadiums/arena events to parking and entertainment areas. Sure it's not perfect, but I do think it is better than nothing.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i could walk but i wouldnt say its faster.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on how fast of a walker you are. :-)

The size downtown is, walking is a much better alternative. :-)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 809
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking vs PM

No panhandlers on the PM.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

depends what direction you are going. If you want to go a couple stations back, walking is faster for sure

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who notices it's the same panhandlers every time, and in their same locations. Most of it appears to be organized and controlled, like a franchise business.

I'm pretty sure if I was down on my luck, and went downtown to panhandle, someone would shake me down, and kick my @ss the he|| out of there on the first day.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of this makes any sense. If they close the People Mover for a few weeks won't city business grind to a halt?

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they know that this will inconvenience tens of people??

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the summer, I prefer to walk around downtown and take in all the sights and smells. If this people mover construction was slated for the winter, then I'd be one of the tens of people who would be bummed out.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7310
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, how will we get around the city now? We're going to have to drive everywhere.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could start a carpool thread to deal with this problem.

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside Chris... LMAO

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7058
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright all you smartypants... I hope they're done on the 18th of August... I have an August 19th tour for 40 Hungarians visiting Detroit (not Germans this time), and I'm depending on the PM for a loop around the downtown area. Downtown looks better from 30 feet up anyway. And yes, none of those pesky panhandlers.

It would take you at least an hour to walk the entire 15 minute PM route, longer if you kept getting panhandled.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people mover provides some pretty nasty views, especially on the west side of downtown, of some pretty nasty properties, perhaps walking in select areas for a tour would be best.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loop D Loop

I heard they're adding some Loop-D-Loops and a "Haunted Tunnel" to portions of the People Mover to increase ridership. Yee-Haw!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4551
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how long the six sections of track are that it warrants an entire month-long shutdown. The DC Metro had to replace a major switch last month, and they were able to do that over the course of four weekends. It seems they'd be able to do this in pieces overnight, when the DPM isn't running.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For comparison, the CTA in Chicago is closing the Blue Line between Rosemont and O'Hare for 3 weeks to replace 18,434 feet of track, or 3.5 miles. That's 1/6 more than the ENTIRE People Mover route.

What the hell are they doing with the PM that takes a month? The CTA is no model of efficiency.

(Message edited by focusonthed on June 25, 2008)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I quit using the People Mover long ago when I discovered it doesn't have a bar car.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 764
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-riv... You don't BYOB like everyone else?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the car you're in is shaking your guts out as it's swaying precariously over the Kwame River, you can use a good swig.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the PM closing temporally the beggars could make some good money offering to give people piggy back rides around downtown.

A year or two ago there was a news story about two guys starting a bicycle rickshaw business downtown. Did that idea get anywhere? I can't say that I ever saw them operating downtown.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitpetanque,

LOL! I want to ride! That looks fun!

Quick question (and I know I'm going to get made fun of for this one. But, that might be deserved), why does it cost so much less to build a modern roller coaster than a public transit system of the same length? The roller coaster with a linear synchronous motor system in place seems so much cheaper to build. I know, I know, it's a roller coaster, and a pointless machine. I also know it is somewhat different. However, it seems like a very similar system to your basic modern people mover or similar transit system. The concept is often the same (especially sense many do not actually even coast anymore. Rather they are powered for large parts of their journey).

Anyone have any clue why there is such a drastic difference? I know it's probably a stupid question, but that picture above really got me thinking about it.

The reasons are probably obvious. Right-of-way is probably one. Vehicle design, size, capacity, and weight is probably another big one. I really have no clue though, and I am curious to see if anyone has some better answers.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rickshaw idea...

That is being done in New York, successfully (I think).

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Station cost and approvals.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brass Ring on the People Mover

What if the Detroit People Mover incorporated a "Brass Ring" arm which would award free rides?

Of course you'd better be careful of those steel columns on the station platforms!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know of a roller coaster anywhere that goes three and a half miles.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor... you're RIGHT! The Steel-Dragon in Japan only goes for 1 1/2 miles and is the longest roller coaster in the world.

We can go for the world's record!

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw one of the rickshaws in operation when I was at the art museum a few weeks back..it was a hot day, and the poor guy pedaling it looked to be in worse physical shape than me. (That's pretty bad, for those who haven't met me.)
:-)
Neat idea, hope he's got good medical coverage.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

press release

Detroit (June 26) – The Detroit People Mover (DPM) will suspend service for four weeks from Sunday, July 20 to Monday, August 18 to replace 1,800 feet of track along six curves on the guideway.

Detroit Transportation Corporation General Manager Barbara Hansen said track needs to be replaced as a result of wear that has accumulated on the six curves over the past 21 years of operation. The rest of the track is in good shape, but the friction caused by trains moving along some of the sharpest turns on the system have resulted in enough wear that they need to be replaced.

“The only way we can replace these sections of track is to close down operations,” Hansen said. “When we began to research this project we were told a project this large and technically complex would typically take up to three months to complete. However, after considerable work with our construction team, they have been able to streamline the process and assure we can reopen in one month.”

Construction will begin after the People Mover completes service operations for the night at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 20. The system will restart service at 6:30 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 18.

Hansen said the four weeks in July and August were selected because there is a relatively light schedule of events downtown during that time, the summer weather is more conducive to people being able to walk between destinations downtown, and the long summer days will allow the construction team to work double shifts and complete the work on time. She said People Mover officials consulted with the Metropolitan Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau and Cobo Center in scheduling the shut down.

Construction will move quickly along the six locations on the guideway and there will not be any major traffic impediments or loud noise at any one location for an extended period of time. The minor traffic implications that will occur include lane and sidewalk closures where the crane is removing and replacing the tracks. Construction noise will also be minor and will occur primarily during business hours. Each section of rail will be cut and removed and then replaced with new length of rail which will be secured in place through a thermite welding process.

The construction locations are the curves between: Gratiot Avenue and Broadway Street; Witherell Street and Broadway Street; Park Avenue and Bagley Street; John C. Lodge Freeway and Jefferson Avenue; Larned Street and Shelby Street and inside Cobo Center.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the cost of $1.5 million

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That loop-de-loop thing is hilarious. hahaha
That said, I actually ride the DPM. I don't have to, but it is the best way to get a good look at a lot of the city's architecture. Besides, when it's raining, you can get from one block of the CBD to the next without getting a drop on ya.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. 1 month to repair 1,800 feet of track without having to dodge active trains. Who is running this show?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have torn the thing down after Hudsons fell on it. It's constantly running a deficit, is not feasibly expandable, the technology was obsolete the day it began operation and is constantly referenced as a reason mass transit (rail) does not work in this city. Completely and totally useless from day 1. IT GOES ONE WAY FOR CHRIST SAKE! how was that EVER a good idea? Part of a bigger plan or not. I usually refer to it as "the ride". Now its too expensive to tear down but continually drains money from the city. Can anyone in this place have even the faintest grasp on the concept of a long term benefit. All quick "fixes" around here.

/end rant

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 607
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDOT is taking MDOT's lead - "Let the Public be Damned."

The People Mover is nothing more than a standard 4-ft 8 1/2-inch railroad just like CSX, CN, Norfolk-Souther, etc. The only difference is the propulsion system, which has nothing to do with the two running rails.

The track on the curves could be easily replaced in the evenings when the PM isn't running with no inconvenience to those who use it.

Bob Cosgrove

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, DDOT does not run the People Mover. It's a completely separate organization.

Here's an indication of how irrelevant the PM is: the City has not found it necessary to replace it with bus or any other service while shut down. In other words, we can simply do without it for a month, and we'll be fine.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While most of us have no problem walking anywhere on the PM route day or night, I have read quite a few positive comments from visitors on sites such as Trip Advisor. They seem to feel it's a convenient, safe alternative to walking downtown. Mind you, these are the people who write, "The Hilton Garden Inn, while nice, is in a seedy part of downtown."

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, my initial reaction was ok talking a month to redo the track and elevated cement work on 6 turns seems reasonable and possibly a really ambitious time schedule. After reading further, I discovered they are only repairing the metal track and NOT the cement base or superstructure. How in the F does it take a month (plus you know there will be "delays") to unbolt existing track and bolt in new track on 6 curves? Seems like they should be able to replace the track on the entire system in that amount of time or less. There has to be more to the story than this. Especially if the original estimate was for 3-4 months. Perhaps I'm naive, but what's so complex about this?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.