Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Voters may be asked to downsize Lansing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Lansing there is a proposed amendment to the Michigan Constitution that will downsize the state government.In the amendment,
25% pay cut for the governor and lawmakers
15% pay cut for state judges
A reduction of both state senators and representatives. Senators from 38 to 28. Representatives from 110 to 82.
Also the elimination of two seats on the Supreme Court . The Court of Appeals will lose seven seats.
The amendment might hurt the Republicans in Lansing due to Democratic gains.
More in the Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080625/NEW S06/806250306

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5032
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea, but it's not exactly getting at any problems that really fill up a large percentage of the budget, like employee pensions or roads. We'll still have budget problems for a smaller congress to solve.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about across the board cuts of 25% for every department?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they just start by getting rid of the full-time legislature? MI is like one of only three states that have this.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire everyone.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7424
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!

It's about time. Michigan needs a downsizing facelift.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This "downsizing plan" is a little suspect. It's sounds like Democrats redrawing districts to get Republicans out of office. I'm all in favor of downsizing Lansing, but I think this is just some hyper-partisan ploy.

I am intrigued by the idea of moving to a part-time legislature. If they have less time to waste, maybe it will light a fire under their asses. Nothing else seems to have worked.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7428
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the elephant party need to get out of the way and make way the " liberals" reform this nation.

downsize now! save money

(Message edited by danny on June 25, 2008)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganders definitely need to downsize. Fattest state in the nation.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4894
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will never happen, but good luck.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could happen but it won't accomplish very much. It will make voters feel better ("we sure told them!") but that's about it.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am intrigued by the idea of moving to a part-time legislature. If they have less time to waste, maybe it will light a fire under their asses. Nothing else seems to have worked.

Only if that comes with a 50% pay cut. What will no doubt happen, because this is Michigan, is that the legislature will be made part-time, yet the pay and benefits will be increased.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the folks who are employed by the state of Michigan and good workers and family folks. Start to chop at the top, there are probably too many supervisors and they are under-qualified and overpaid. Find out the salary of the head of the MDNR and tell me if she is worth the money.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may be helpful to know where the state actually spends its money, so here is the high-level breakdown of the Governor's proposed 2009 budget. The amounts are in billions of dollars, rounded.

Agriculture $0.1
Capital Outlay $0.3
Community Colleges $0.3
Community Health $12.5 (90% of this is Medicaid)
Corrections $2.1
Education $0.1
Environmental Quality $0.4
General Government $3.1 (35% of this is revenue sharing)
Higher Education $1.8
History, Arts and Libraries $0.05
Human Services $4.7 (almost half is "income assistance")
Judiciary $0.3
Labor and Economic Growth $1.4 (46% of this is workforce training)
Military and Veterans Affairs $0.1
Natural Resources $0.3
Revenue Sharing $1.1
School Aid $11.9
State Police $0.5
Transportation $3.4 (83% of this is road construction)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6063
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read a little about this living in Lansing, and all, and though a good, symbolic idea, in theory, I think it goes a bit too far. I wouldn't mind a part-time legislature (but only with the elimination of term limits), but cutting out the Justices number is FAR too much change, IMO. I agree with most of the rest of it, but it parts of it are a no-go, for me. I'm thinking they are hoping that they can use the 'change' buzzword and slip this entire thing past the public, but it needs some major editing, IMO.

What I'd like to see for the Supreme Court is requirement of public financing for their campaigns.

Also, as many have mentioned, this would be more symbolic than anything. The legislature and executive office take up very little of the budget. I'd still be for some major reform, but I'd be under no illusions how little it would mean in terms of savings.

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 25, 2008)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7270
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should eliminate the governors office until the end of Granholm's term, as she still blames Michigan's lack of progress on Engler and the Republican State Senate. So, if she is so helpless at least we could not waste taxpayer dollars on her salary.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cut pensions and all the guaranteed benefits that long ago everyone else has had to accept -- but of course unions won't accept despite the givebacks the leadership the UAW has already given in their recent contracts w/ Big 3.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.