Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Leland Hotel--Whats up with it « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you guys know about the Leland Hotel. I was only in Detroit for like 12 hours for a meeting, and on our way back to Toronto my friend and I took a walk through the lobby, because we had read the worst reviews ever for a hotel.
We also read it has some of the best goth night clubs in the city.

So whats the deal with this place? As bad as they say?? Night clubs any good???
The lobby did not look to bad to us.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever seen a vampire movie where everyone is a vampire, including the people who work at the diner? It is the supreme goth hangout.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a dude shot in front of Dagwoods back in 88' He landed right outside our booth, we waited for our burgers and watched the comotion. I treasure that moment.

(the dude was fine, just a 22 to the back, probably a DD gone bad)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lobby is cool. The alarm clocks are bolted to the nightstands. Don't have to even mention the TVs...City Club's open till 4. Get an upper floor and get a great downtown view. Leave your window open, or better yet, sit in it, and you can hear weekend traffic, city noise, or hookers yelling at each other.

Service? Well, you really won't get that at the Ren Cen either. So stay cheap.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at the Leland back when it was the Ramada..I was your friendly lobby bartender for a year or so.
The place is..interesting. The customers were..interesting. And most of my co-workers were..interesting.
:-)
One tip about the City Club..if you're a violent kinda guy when you get a few drinks or your favorite illegal substance in you, it's a good place to stay away from. Lets just say that the bouncers have a lot more enthusiasm than training, and you're apt to get messed up good & proper before you get booted out the door.

About the hotel itself? Well..it's really old, and it's being operated on a shoestring. Some of the rooms are actually very nice, but the elevators/plumbing/heating/coo ling pretty much sucks in the whole building.
The lobby is beautiful, and semi-restored..if you visit the place, be sure to get someone to let you in the ballroom. The walls & ceiling in that room are very pretty..
If any of the resident giant cockroaches make a move on you, just hand 'em your wallet and pray for mercy.
:-)
All that said, the place does have a certain charm..I recommend it to open-minded & cheap folks looking to crash downtown all the time. It's not your fathers hotel, but if you're open for new & weird things, it might be yours.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 908
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, it really isn't that bad. I mean, it's bad, but the prices reflect what you get. Several floors are actually apartments. Those apartments are pretty big. There is a living room, full kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. Those apartments a couple years ago were about $450. A great deal considering that is the going rate of many tiny CBD studio sized apartments.

Now the hotel portion is actually only a few floors. Again the price for these rooms aren't bad. The suites are what is really convenient (and cheap). They are pretty much just like the apartments. Still several other floors are completely abandoned. They aren't usable in their current state. Most low income apartment buildings in the CBD have floors like this. Park Apartments has about half of it's eighteen floors occupied.

One of the problems with The Leeland building is it's mix of apartments with the hotel rooms. It is easy for drug dealers and prostitutes to get in. Which means it is not uncommon for these folks to go door to door soliciting their products or services. Other than that, the building looks nice at first, but is very run down. The halls have stains all over, and have a strange smell. The elevators are a bit old. My brother stayed there one time on a visit from Colorado. We got in the elevator and the door started closing and then fell completely off into the hall/lobby. Luckily a maintenance person was there too. He picked up the door and slid it back into place, saying; not to worry, this happens all the time.

It's all in perception. I happen to think you get what you pay for. But, most people don't know that, and aren't used to dealing with situations like this. The people I know who live and work there love it. They really seem to love it there.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on June 25, 2008)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto, sure it's gone to hell but the 1st "auto shows" were held in that lobby & it was the preferred lodging of the Original 6 during the Olympia's heyday. I find the lodging reviews the best, god knows I've posted a slew of links here, it's also been used as lodging for musical acts on a budget

Denny
Username: Denny

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed there during th 70's Sep thru Nov,for several yrs..Ice capades, Bdwy. road shows casts,and the "like", stayed..Lobby bar, 4th floor club, & a disco,{yeah, disco}, below st. level......It was a "happening"...Short walk to Tiger stadium for Lions Sundays....Th good 'ol days.........

Denny

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone out there remember Glen? He operated the commissary, and the 4th floor lounge as well...Primo dude....Are ya still out there Glen? The Manager's name was Jack. He brought in some Lion's players, as temporary guests. It was "different" "times" my friends........

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx_Doug,
I worked the Lobby Bar one night a week for a little while. Money sucked but I got paid to study for my Bachelors. I wonder if I know you. I worked for Harold for a short point and also for Blackie.

I lived in the Ramada for two months. That was long enough. I don't like roaches. It was fun for a short time and there are some really interesting people who live there.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to hear more about what it was like in 60s and 70s. Obviously it was already aging by that point but was it still considered a viable option to stay at for your average visitor? When did it become a Ramada?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best memory of the Leland House was playing a game of "Cop Out" with the cast of The Wiz. This would have been in around '73 or '74, while they were playing the Fisher. One of the people on hand that night was Clarice Taylor who was appearing in the play as the "Good Witch", she later went on to a recurring role on the Cosby Show as Grandma Huxtable. I will always like her because she complimented me on being "such a handsome young man." I thought I was hot schitt every time I would see her on TV for a long time after that.

Had a couple of friends who lived there in the early 80s, their apartments were very spacious. At that time, the building seemed to be in pretty good shape, all things considered. I passed in and out of there many times at all hours of the day and night, sometimes parking a couple of blocks away, and I never had a problem with anybody down there.

There was also had a club in the basement called Detroit Studio 54 for a while, and it was hot.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on the 15th floor of the Leland/Ramada from '92 - '96. Myself and two roommates had a two bedroom, two bathroom furnished apartment for $475 a month. All utilities included. (Except the air conditioners didn't work and both showers only ran on temperature: scalding hot).

We had parties in our place every Fri and Sat night then took the elevator to the lobby then walked to the City Club. Free entry for people who lived in the building.

The building is a nightmare, but for $125 a month for my share, it wasn't too bad for a student. Sure, I heard the gun shots, saw some violence, and was mugged myself once. But hell, that's to be expected.

The worst part is that it was the most boring city to live in ever. Summer weekend days the city was empty. Not a car. All shops were closed. Not a person to be seen but the occasional homeless.

That part of city living, plus having to drive to the burbs for groceries, really got old quick.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Lukabottle… I think I know you!

Resident of the Ramada/Leland for three years, and I have to agree with Zrx_doug’s assessment. It’s a neat old building, (constructed in 1927, I think) and if it was restored, it’d be quite something. Right now, the owner seems content on letting it fall into total disrepair. The lobby is kinda neat, though.

The rent’s inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. (I lived on the seventh floor, paid $375 for a one-bedroom, all utilities included, plus stolen cable.) If something breaks in your apartment, it’ll take months to get fixed- if it ever does. There’s a lot of older residents, neat old folks with good stories who look out for each other. On the other hand, the cheap rent also attracts so-so characters. The managers are rather flakey- changing lease and parking agreements with no notice, and unable to make up their minds about rules regarding pets and noise. Living there was fun, but after getting stuck in the elevator one too many times, it was time to move on.

My dad stayed in the hotel rooms a few times, and while the place is convenient- walking distance to the People Mover and Comerica Park- there was almost always something wrong with the room. No AC, broken television, major water damage in the bathroom.

City club used to be a great goth/industrial club, but attendance has dropped off in recent years. Occasionally, there was a club called the Labyrinth in the basement, but I think it’s closed.

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=5667

I’ve heard that the Ramada has always had nightclubs, but I don’t have any specifics. It went back to the name Leland during the Superbowl, but I don’t know when it adopted the franchise. I want to say sometime in the 1980s... anyone else?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a poster for a goth fashion show (I think) at the Leland last year at this link: http://images.google.com/imgre s?imgurl=http://a896.ac-images .myspacecdn.com/images01/23/l_ 31879889d849439d3307a95934c02f 57.jpg&imgrefurl=http://profil e.myspace.com/index.cfm%3Ffuse action%3Duser.viewprofile%26fr iendid%3D46581038&h=540&w=420& sz=48&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=xaKt 2Z96jpN4kM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=103& prev=/images%3Fq%3DDetroit%2BL eland%2BHotel%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

Denny

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I"m re-livin it, over these posts...from '74-'85, i lived between th Leland &th Townhouse, mostly Leland,ea. Sep. thru Nov...everything in th area was a "happening"...Great hangouts, whole neighborhood., Lori's Lounge, new live theatre in Mich. blg.,(for a while},Lindell,Coach house, Luigi's,Gas light,
I can keep goin, Det News, plant, corner of Cass.
I take th bus out Grand River to th 'Ol Barn & back ea. day to work.....Lived top floor (20th},2 b.r. fully furnished, on th border of elegant.My view was to th Olympia..For a while, Lynn Redgrave stayed 1 floor below my apt. Guess that's why she wouldn't speak in th elevators.,(working elevators}........"see'n as how a star couldnt get the penthouse........Somebody on a post above wanted to "hear a little more about th Leland; so here's my "little bit more'Over the years, for all you recent folks,multitudes of real stars stayed and wandered through that lobby..they, for th most part, were very engaging with th tenants.I briefly met too many to mention........There's alot more........Some of my happiest days......Thanks..I think i "over indulged" on my post, but what a nice opportunity "cuz" I loved that Place and Time!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very kewl ESD.

The whole goth thing always intrigued me. Some very interesting (and usually nice) people.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading hundreds of reviews of the Leland House on the net, and almost all of them horribly poor reviews, and looking at photographs people have taken of the rooms, halls, and stairwells, I can hardly believe the place is in business.

The combination of these conditions, coupled with what appears to be an amazing lobby, and an after hours club, just nearly makes me want to spend one night there to see what happens on the weekend in that place.

Denny

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy that started live acts at th Michigan, around '75, name was 'Loffy'....At a fund raiser for Chuck Hughes, Lion player that died on th field at Tiger stadium, Milton Burle in closing uttered a remark re: his act at th theatre, "and #### you Loffy, you owe me a hudred thou"...anybody remember Loffy?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, you stoned? Your post makes no sense.

Django

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that you get what you pay for. Its an interesting place to stay for cheap. If you can afford to stay in Greektown or the Ren Cen, then yes the Leeland is probably not your place because your used to. But if your on a budget and visiting Detroit, Its perfect. When I travel, Im staying in guesthouses, usually filled with backpackers, that leaves me more cash to vacation longer and see more in the long run. I wonder if its listed in Lonely Planet, and what the review is?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7057
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1927 Leland House Hotel was designed by the Chicago Architectural firm of C.W. & George L. Rapp, otherwise known as Rapp & Rapp.

Rapp & Rapp were famous for designing movie palaces, mainly in a royal French style commonly known as "Rapp & Rapp Versailles". They also designed danceclub ballrooms and other buildings.

Their 2 major Detroit designs were the 1926 French Renaissance style Michigan Theatre and the 1927 Italian Renaissance style Leland House Hotel.

Rapp & Rapp also designed the Royal Oak Theatre and nearby 6 story office building (then the tallest in Oakland County). These were done in a much tamer design known as the "Rapp & Rapp economy treatment".

Long after the founding Rapp brothers died and the Rapp & Rapp firm was disbanded, enough of the old employees were brought together to design the very last Rapp & Rapp design... the 1961 remodeling of the Fisher Theatre.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 25, 2008)

Denny

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

corrected spelling....Lofy........500 ft. from Leland front entrance.......

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent a night with the Rayettes in the Leland bar. The Rayettes, were the skanky girls that sang backup for Ray Charles. He liked to stay there becuse he couldn't see what a dump the place was and because he was a cheap fucker.

The Rayettes hated him because Ray was so cheap; they spent the night dreaming up ways to fuck with their blind boss. Preparation H for his Crest, that sort of thing. One of the girls got so drunk, and was laughing so hard, she had a little accident.

opps.

Other Leland stories, but those are in the vault.

Django

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh,, great Gnome, just tease us like that. After that story, I believe we need some more. Although I didnt understand the Pep. H crest thing. or did you mean chest?

A little off thread here but, I had a friend working at the Nectarine Ballroom in AA waaayy back, (second chance days) who came across a very old Cab Calloway getting a bj while smoking a cigar in the backroom before going on stage. He was just standing there, then promptly told my friend to "get the f@%# outta here"

I love thoes old stories.

Give it up Gnome, at least one more.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crest toothpaste

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn,
You know me. You are moving in my place in a week. LOL

Denny

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't sound like you were there Spacemonkey....Lori's Lounge was downstairs & 2 doors up.......

Flyingj

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denny, no Spacemonkey was there-I'll be damned if I see him accused of lying about living @ the Leland for streetcred. When I was visiting there('93 & '94) I saw no Lori's Lounge, if it WAS still in business Space would've been there-but why go to a place like that with the Lindell A.C. so close?(I thought I read that the Lindell started IN the Leland, but I could be wrong). It's sad to visit the Leland/Ponchatrain/Book Cadillac counterparts in other cities like the Hotel Monteleone, the St Francis, the U.S. Grant, Hotel Coronado or any given Biltmore & realize what passes for the ultimate in Detroit is the boring-ass ugly Townsend out in the burbs. But oh well.

Django

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denny, I see your a bit new here at DYes, Im sot sure what sites your used to dealing with but here you have a group of good ppl. Even if they completely differ on everything you believe in, were generally a good lot.Anyone with more than a few hundred posts you can bet is not BSing you. I also vouch for spacemonkey. Hes a good monkey.

Stick around Denny, your welcome here. Ive learned a lot on this site.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj - The Lindell started in the Lindell Hotel, across the street from the Leland (long ago raised) before their final location @ Michigan and Cass (circa '63 / 64).

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"(I thought I read that the Lindell started IN the Leland, but I could be wrong)"

The Lindell did not start at the Leland. It started in the flophouse Lindell Hotel across the street from the Leland at the corner of Cass & Bagley. They left the Lindell Hotel for Michigan & Cass in April 1963. Actually, the Lindell became a sports bar because the jocks couldn't drink at the Leland, Sheraton-Cadillac, Statler Hilton, etc. due to the fact that hotel bars were off limits back then. The hotel bars were for managers-coaches ONLY.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on June 26, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13120
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great trivia, Whithorn and Paulc!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's Studio 54 disco was in the basement of the Leland House during the late 70s. It was a great party atmosphere and the dancing was some of the best in and around the city.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If memory serves this is probably the third or fourth post on the Leland Hotel around here in the last few years, and I've learned more this time than any of those. The interesting posts here are a good example of why it's not a bad thing to bring up a subject multiple times, which can be a source of irritation for some.
Now back to your originally scheduled programming.

Flyingj

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read the these reviews it appears the Leland IS a source of irritation;
http://tinyurl.com/5rljpr
http://tinyurl.com/4v433f
http://www.expedia.com/pub/age nt.dll?qscr=dspv
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hot el_Review-g42139-d89998-Review s-The_Leland-Detroit_Michigan. html
http://www.travelpost.com/hote ls/The_Leland/h30474
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-arti cle-357672-cat-User%20Reviews- srcid-357672-sort-pop-srcprod- travelguide

Denny

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dijango, thanks for the welcome..I've never posted on any site before this....Guess it shows.Flyingj, at one time, the Lindell WAS across from the front entrance to the Leland.....Lori owned the lounge along with her guy, Chuck..I'm sure they're among the departed. John Zeilinski, jewelry mfg. was directly above Lori's.....Spacemonkey, I'm sure I misspoke, sorry I jumped it.......

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew John Zelinski for years. He was a jewelry designer, repairer, and teacher. Designed and made a couple of things for my wife. He was always located in the Michigan Building, and a bar called Lori's was located in that building as well.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Leland where Dirty Helens was located in the 60's with an entertainer named Jim Freeman?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always found it interesting that a facility such as the Leland Hotel was constructed on the fringe of the old Michigan Avenue skid row. The Lindell Hotel existed from about 1917 (the earliest I was able to verify) to 1963 at 1519 Cass Ave. It appears that on the site of the old Lindell Hotel parking lot existed another hotel once upon a time called the Hotel Morgan at 1537 Cass. These were not exactly the only skid row hotels in the immediate neighborhood.

I wonder if in the early 1960's the Leland and Sheraton-Cadillac behind the scenes helped pressure the Cavanagh administration to demolish the Michigan Avenue skid row ? Cobo Hall opened in 1960 and people on the then Common Council made no secret about their embarrassment that out of town visitors would often pass by the Michigan Ave. flop houses, pawn shops, bars, pool halls whether they were arriving by plane, train, car, or Greyhound Bus.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on June 27, 2008)

Denny

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, You are "right on" on John Z., & yes, he taught classes on jewlry...Spent "lotsa" time with him over those yrs. Dirty Helen's WAS most definitely in the Leland........

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.