Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit area recycling « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking for a place to take old lumber/plywood to.
All clean material and non of it treated.
Not looking for $$$.. just a place to get ride of a couple pick-up truck loads.
Thanks DetroitYES!

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Architectural Salvage Warehouse?

http://www.aswdetroit.org/

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Energy Recycling - Grand Blvd and Russell - Northeast Corner. Clean wood is chipped and sold as fuel for power plants.

May charge to dump. 931 - 1200.

Give 'em hell.

TRP

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRP - I think I asked before but I don't recall if you had the chance to answer - where can I recycle old wall plaster? I've disassembled a 3 bedroom apartment so I have good 20 yrds of the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to wait until early August, I'll take the wood off your hands for my annual bonfire.

Fire

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried -

There is nothing we can do with plaster right now. Also, the presence of old paint will hurt your chances. There will always be some waste.

TRP

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks TRP. I hate to just send it all to the landfill.

I'm planning on building a pump track (small mountain bike track) in my back yard, so I think the plaster may be good fill material for my hills as long as I can encapsulate it in clay.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would work. I don't know how extreme you want to get, but if it has been painted, you should probably use an encapsulating primer on the chunks before you bury it, even in clay.

TRp

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TCP,

I know you have answered questions like this before, but I am having a hard time with the search options on this site.

Could you help me understand how the numbering system works? You know, those little numbers on most recyclable items? Up at our place in Saginaw, only ones and twos (I think) are recyclable. Now in Livonia on the other had, all numbers are accepted (although, it started with just ones and twos so many years ago). Detroit, as far as I know, has no curbside recycling service that I know of, correct?

I probably could do a Google search on this. However, many times, those searches can bring you overwhelming results, and not all are any good. I was hoping you had a link or two that you could post easily. If you don't, then don't worry about it. I can figure it out on my own.

Thanks in advance for any information you can easily provide.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the website for our City of Detroit Recycle Here! Program:

www.recyclehere.net

We take plastic 1&2 sorted together and 4&5&6&7 sorted together.

The number system for plastic tells the recycler/ bottler what type of plastic is used to make the container. This allows recyclers and end users to select the appropriate remanufacturing process to apply to the material.

We have received our requested grant increase, so we will be offering more services. Our website will be updated this week with the newly expanded mobile recycling program locations, dates, and times.

Check it out.

TRP

TRP

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRP, I looked at the web site you provided and I didn't see anything specific to pop bottles/cans (plastic, tin, & glass). Do you guys accept these items? I have a bunch of pop bottles that are from new or low volume beverages that have been discontinued. I can't remember where most of them were purchased from but generally stores will not take bottles back if they discontinued selling the product.

Thanks

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, me too; I still have all of those empty 40-ounce Blatz bottles in my attic, and they're not getting any prettier.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.