Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Noisy Neighbor in townhouse « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I live in a townhouse and I have the noisiest neighbors ever. Not music or tv mind you, but just rauckusness(if thats a word).

Kids running up and down the stairs, slamming doors all day, screaming, laughing, and talking loud at 2 AM.

Now I've been baning on the wall, which only gets them to return the favor, the manager has been told and they quieted down for awhile, but then back to the loud ruckus. I've considered writing a letter explaining the situation to them politely and also attaching the city ordinance against noise:

http://www.municode.com/resour ces/gateway.asp?pid=10649&sid= 22

(chapter 36)

Am I going too far??

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get an attorney and bring a suit against your landlord for violating the terms of your lease. While the suit is pending the attorney will put your rent in escrow until it is resolved. They'll be gone in a week.

I know some people that had this same problem and thats how it got resolved. Don't complain, you're wasting your time.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 793
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or go to rottenneighbor.com

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, at least you don't have a neigborhood kid throwing rocks at your glass front door

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a lot of similar experiences-- or known people in the same situation. It's best to get to know your neighbor and be direct and confrontational (in a good sense), as opposed to non-confrontational and passive-aggressive. Writing the letter might be okay, but it's less confrontational.

If you can't take care of things on a personal basis, then I'd say do what Sstashmoo suggests. However, if they are the homeowners and there's no lease violation going on, then it's merely a matter of getting the cops to write a ticket for a noise violation. That means they have to show up at a time of extreme noise. The odds of that are not good (not just because it's Detroit-- but that doesn't help), plus you said it's just random stuff and nothing like loud music etc.

Even if it was leased, normally the landlord just writes a warning letter and tells you that you will get a $500 (or thereabouts) ticket if the police show up to enforce a noise violation. Of course, that experience came with a college campus landlord. Maybe your landlord (if you have one) is more conscientious?

Is your townhouse new construction with paper-thin walls? In that case, you might want to look ahead to your next move.

good luck

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw has a good idea. Rather than making the noisy neighbors your enemy,can you try talking to them? Can they hear you doing things in your house? Thin walls do work both ways. How can we be better neighbors to each other.

You might have to start out saying how you are sorry you have been banging on the walls but you have a really hard time with the noise. Be specific. When the kids are running up and down the stairs yelling, it sounds like it is right in my bedroom. If the kids like and respect you, they will be less apt to want to annoy you.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, if you make them your friend then you can reason with them!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please won't you be my neighbor?"
Unless you're dealing with Mr. Rogers, I'd start looking for another place to live.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for a large property management company as a regional manager and we take these issues very seriously like any good landlord should. If the manager doesnt take you seriously ask to speak to his or her boss or the owner. If that doesn't work then take legal action. You should not have to live in a disruptive atmosphere.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get a U-haul and some friends and get out of Dodge. After a certain point of your life you will realize you can't change people, they are going to do what they are going to do and talk and setting a good example will do nothing.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

get a U-haul and some friends and get out of Dodge. After a certain point of your life you will realize you can't change people, they are going to do what they are going to do and talk and setting a good example will do nothing.

Does this mean I have to move to San Francisco now?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree 100% with 56packman. Inconsiderate people cannot usually be reasoned with in an adult manner. And life is too short to put up with that bullshit.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....why should Detmi7mile move? Seems to me that the noisy neighbors should be the ones to have some consequences, not the other way around. Det is just minding his/her own business and trying to have a nice, quiet home. The disruptive neighbors are typical of those who think only of themselves and what they want and how they are going to live. The world has turned into the "ME" generation.

I heartedly disagree that Det should be the one to move out, it's not that easy to do and Det is in the right. I lived in Detroit next to some pretty crusty people who were pretty threatening to us those last few years we were forced to stay in Detroit. I had to kiss plenty of a$$ and did my best to talk to them "nicely" and pretend to "like" them just to keep the peace and keep them from throwing bricks through my windows or damage my cars or hurt one of my kids. I'll never do that again.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5018
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it depends on how much he values the townhouse. If he can find another place he likes or a good deal, then it would make sense. If the place is highly coveted, then he should fight for it.

I agree that the inconsiderateness of the neighbors should not just be given into, but there should be limits for how much effort Detmi7mile puts into working them.

(Message edited by mackinaw on June 22, 2008)

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These days it's not that easy just to pick up and leave your home for another one. If you own it it's even harder. Renting is another story. I still say if Det is keeping up with rent/house payments and is in a home he/she loves, it's worth it to stay and get the townhouse association or landlord to kick the inconsiderate neighbors out on their butts. I'm sure there are rules to follow for the townhouse and obviously the noisy ones aren't following them, therefore giving the landlord ample reason to evict.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well. Its not always whats right, but whats possible or likely. Getting the neighbors to be more quiet isnt probable, SO if you enjoy conflict, frustration and fighting then by all means stay. I know If i dont get my rest it affects my well being (moods) and my work performance. Sometimes the battle cant be won and its best to know when when the only way to improve the situation is gonna be to leave. Im betting the more u complain the more noise they make. Its hard to get people evicted even if they arent paying rent so even if the landlord does something unless the noisy neighbors wanna leave its gonna be a long time...... good luck

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former member of a Board of Directors in a townhouse complex (who also was a resident there), I offer the following suggestion:

Most times, neighbors do not realize how much the sounds that they make carry over to the next unit. If you feel that you can talk to them in person, invite them over for coffee to discuss the matter. Ask them to have someone run up and down the stairs (or whatever the noise source is) at their home while they are sitting in your home. It may give them a better understanding of what the problem is. Banging on the wall NEVER works.

If you can't talk to them, check your lease. If there is a clause that says that you have a "right to peaceful enjoyment" of your unit, then you have a legal right to make them quiet down and the landlord should take the matter seriously. The language of the lease is ultimately important.

If you are living in a cooperative, you have a Board of Directors...take the matter to them. Managers who do not live on site are not as willing to deal with those types of issues as those who reside at the property are.

Remember however, that causing ill will with your neighbors may escalate into more of a problem than it's worth, depending on their temper and demeanor. Some will only cause more trouble if you cause trouble for them, and moving may be your only option.

These kinds of problems were the worst things I had to deal with as a Board member (for 30 years).

Hopefully, they just don't realize how much noise they are making and you can solve it easily with a little neighbor to neighbor chat.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmi7mile, I hope the matter comes to a peaceful resolution that is gracefully reached by both sides.
However, I tend to think that the rosy optimism shown in some of the responses may be somewhat unrealistic. Maybe a discussion with them, complete with designer coffee and some lovely fresh scones, will nicely do the trick. But maybe not. People who allow their undisciplined brats to habitually slam doors and stomp up & down the stairs in a townhouse, or apartment building, are people who are rude, inconsiderate, and boorish by nature, and probably will not be so easily persuaded into taking on a politesse which, seemingly, would represent a whole new mode of socially interactive behavior.
Which is to say that if they were likely to give a damn about your comfort or feelings, it is unlikely that the situation which you described would be occurring in the first place. If they are unaware of the level of disturbance they are causing, it's probably because they don't care about antiquated notions such as basic manners & consideration for others.
But, even with all of that in mind, I honestly think that you should go ahead and give it a shot. Who knows? Maybe the adults are really busy, possibly working afternoon, or midnight, shifts, or for whatever other possible reasons truly do not realize the problem they are causing, and a gentle nudge will arouse their attention and lead to the elimination of the entire problem. Certainly, it is possible. One thing is for sure: Acting in an unmannerly way will never elicit a mannerly response, so enough with the wall-banging, awready.
So, at least try. This might be an appropriate moment for me to pull out the old adage, "you can catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar."
Good luck! Please return, later, with a report on how it turns out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.