Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Something positive, comment on community leaders « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can name so many Detroit activists who have inspired me over the years. They helped me stay engaged in Detroit issues while I was both a resident and a non resident. I want to mention one in the form of a personal (from my heart) obituary.

Suzanne Bishop. She was a social worker par excellance. She helped co found Creekside Community Development, saved riverside parks from being sold to developers and innitiated the Fox Creek Trail. Her accomplishments and citizen involvement was amazing. Her humility and service to her community, family and friends would be difficult to surpass. Her civic involvements would take pages to list so I'll take a pass. I and the community she so bennefited will continue to miss her daily.

I know so many wonderful Detroiters, I hope that others will share their stories about local Detroiters who are so giving to their communities.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John George of Blight Busters comes to mind.

Also Tyree Guyton, controversial as he may be, took it upon himself to provide art instruction for a nearby elementary school after their funding was cut.

I know there are many more... bring 'em

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashley Atkinson, Greening of Detroit
Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey, One Solid Citizen
Outstanding, Outstanding, Outstanding

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 594
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Cunningham, Focus Hope. If only all religious leaders contributed 10% of what he did for his community.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.