Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Son of Michigan drag racing legend Connie Kalitta killed in track crash « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.s sf/2008/06/driver_killed_in_cr ash_at_old.html

Flyingj

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DziJdGwFQjU

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a sad day in motorsports.He died doing what he loved and did not suffer.Godspeed

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not the brightest guy in the world, but why in the hell would they have no impact devices at the end of a dragstrip? These cars do 300 mph, have a high probability of malfunctioning and transport human life. Some tires laced up?? Anything is better than solid concrete seconds away from the finish line.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstash, you're obviously not a drag racer..
:-)
Tires would have done nothing but killed an awful lot of racers who've hit that sand trap at lesser speeds. They would have done nada for Scott.
He went thru over a 1/4 mile of shutdown area, thru a catch fence that's designed to scrub speed off, and thru a sand trap that's designed to do the same.

For what it's worth, the wall at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park is NOT "seconds away from the finish line." It's nearly a half-mile down track from the point that a conscious driver would commence shutting down. You can pretty much rest assured that Scott was unconscious long before impact. He wasn't on the brakes..the car just kept motoring along on it's own.

I've run at Old Bridge a few times..you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find a facility that's as safe as this place. By comparison, if this incident had taken place at Milan, the car would have finished up somewhere in the moto-x track..there's less shut-down area and no catch fence there, just a sand trap and a buncha grass between you and the guys on dirtbikes.

RIP, Scott..you were a good guy, always had a smile every time I met ya.

(Message edited by ZRX Doug on June 22, 2008)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad day indeed.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad sad news...

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 727
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Connie, may your Son rest in peace. And may the Lord comfort your family.

Flyingj

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice local commentary by Keselowski. Do NHRA & NASCAR guys get to hang out that much?;
http://www.jsonline.com/story/ index.aspx?id=764810

Davemarc

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx,I thought the same thing,The explosion must have knocked him out.I know connie through a mutual friend.Scott was a class act and will be missed greatly.Do you race bikes or cars?

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to race cars, sorta grew out of the whole game..now I ride/race bikes strictly for fun. Look around, there's a thread here somewhere about Detroit Dragway that pretty much has my life story in it, lol.
I met Scott out at Milan several times back when they were an NHRA track, once at Indianapolis, he was still running Top Fuel at the time..he was one of the good ones, IMHO. Always a smile for the fans, and genuinely interested in what us "little guy" racers were doing.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With respect -https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/143833.html?1214167327

Davemarc

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read that thread,the f.e.d.looks a lot fun!I know connie through Poncho rendon(now deceased)I work for a professional road race team for a living,but I used get to meet alot of those guys thru poncho.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do NHRA & NASCAR guys get to hang out that much?"

Well, yes & no..they all run pretty much the same seasonal & weekly schedule, so off-time is the same for both groups. Both groups tend to make fun of each other, but performance guys flock together regardless..
I got to meet Dale Earnhardt back in '90 or '91 at a car show being held at the GM dealer I was working at..he was having lunch in the relative privacy of the garage before he did his autograph signing thing, and I was spending my lunchtime in the same garage putting a shine on my drag car, which was also on display..he walked over and asked if it was true that us drag racers just welded the steering wheel straight..so I asked him if it was true that the roundy-round guys welded theirs to the left..we both cracked up and proceeded to give each other guided tours of our rides. "Intimidator" my ass! He was a nice guy..for a silly roundy-round racer.
Basically, if it goes fast, I like it..and it seems that most gearheads feel the same way underneath the veneer of pride in their own choice of machine or sport. There's a lot of common ground shared, and the folks who don't race tend to not "get" the folks that do..so, yeah..birds of a feather & all that stuff.
Long answer to a short question, huh?

Reddog289

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZRX, was that at the pontiac dealer on ford rd? sorry to stray from the subject. With the passing of Scott i seem to not want to turn my Comet to a street/strip car, yet i,ll get over it and do it one day.Racers are racers and the show goes on.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Red Holman Pontiac/GMC/Toyota on Ford at Wayne..a lifetime ago.
You will get over it..I don't know how many times I've "quit" riding motorcycles in the last twenty years after a friend is badly hurt or killed..can't seem to stay away from the habit, though. Same goes for drag racing. I was crewing for a friend's Super Pro team at Detroit when they had their last fatality, another Super Pro driver whose name I've forgotton..that was a Saturday night..we all cried in our beer that evening, but we all showed up at Milan to race the following morning.

Reddog289

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thank you ZRX, my cousin died when i was 10, promised my Father i wouldn,t buy a motorcycle. Got one
15yrs later, best thing i did. at least i got to do something i wanted to do in my lifetime. Dale,Scott, and many others did what they dreamed of doing. They payed the price but thats what they did, they knew what could happen.My Girlfriend saw the wreck, said "see why you cant race".When my house gets in order and i catch up on the bills it might be time to play with cars again.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.