Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » MTV 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until recently, why is it you receive MTV2 via attena in Detroit? Actually it still goes on, spotty though. Also A&E sometimes randomly comes in.

No cable... I'm talking rabbit ears. I never questioned it before. But someone asked me today, and I had no answer.

It was just one of those Twilight Zone/Detroit perks.... I have never questioned it.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 861
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is little things like this that always make Detroit feel like another world or something.

Anyone have any other ones?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we have the only CBS affiliate without a Newscast.

Oh, and until recently, we were the only state in the union where Pepsi outsold Coke. :-)

I think the other state now is South Carolina.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on June 21, 2008)

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in Albuquerque, I used to get MTV 2 also.....with rabbit ears.....and it wasn't even available for those who actually had Comcast.
Sounds like one of those crazy comcast things!

It was awesome......but also that was a time when MTV 2 actually played videos, now it's just reality shows

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anniedawg25, actually it's not @ all unusual-music videos are the preferred programming for that strange idea out of Reagan's FCC; low-power tv stations(cheap ready-made content, both MTV2 & "The Box"), but the average viewer doesn't know what they are like WUDT-23;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W UDT-CA

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does cable MTV2 have to do with OTA Univision?

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does cable MTV2 have to do with OTA Univision?

Their programming, like many LPTV stations, was MTV2 from 2000-04

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed after the storms dead stations on my radio came in. I only notice because me Sirius receiver in my car works by broadcasting to dead stations. But all my present empty stations had signals! Probably because the signal is getting thrown around because of the clouds and storms???

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats crazy talk, Fareastsider. Crazy talk.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is getting off topic...but I gotta tell this story, kinda similar to what fareastsider mentioned.

About 15 years ago, I was in my bedroom at my parents house (I was about 12 years old) and I was listening to the radio. I went to change the tuner, and all of a sudden I heard my grandma's and my mom's voice on the radio. Of course I stopped at that channel to see what was going on (also a dead station), and as it turns out my mom was on our back porch talking to my grandma on the phone, who lived 10 miles away.

I could hear their whole conversation broadcast over the radio
It was very weird! That had never happened before, and hasnt happened since. Has anyone else experienced this, or have other strange radio signal stories? :-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio signals bounce off of the ionosphere, and it is composed differently at night and is affected by storms, so that may explain the incidence of more stations with the storm. I know that when I'm driving at night, I can pick up Boston, Memphis, Chicago and other far away stations that I can't get during the day

(Message edited by jcole on June 22, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.