Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What happened to the Freedon Festival? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK--maybe I'm totally out of the loop, and I missed reading this somewhere, but....what happened to the Freedom Festival? Isn't that what the fireworks was about? I'm hearing on the news about GM River Days....and that the fireworks on Monday are part of that. Anyone have any info? Thanks in advance!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still there, just River Days is the name of the carnival/concert stage they have along the Riverwalk.

The Freedom Festival (which is at Hart Plaza) isn't until Monday and this is the last day for Rivers Days.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise: Thanks for the info! I knew someone on this site would know!

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM just wanted this year to be really crisp. So they have tightened up the whole program.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fireworks display was the culmination of the Freedom Festival, which includes the celebration of Canada's Victoria Day, July 1st. So, if the Freedom Festival still exists, then what will be the culminating activity? Fireworks eleven days before the Fourth of July, that's just too soon.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Bump.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is going and wants to meet up, please post in the Connect section.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so if canada's victoria day is the 1st, and our independance day the 4th, why are the fireworks in the third weekend in june?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, July 1st is Canada Day (formerly known as Dominion Day -- don't ask). Canada Day celebrates the establishment of Canada as a country (though not a fully independent country) on July 1, 1867.

As for the fireworks, for years they were held on the Wednesday before Canada Day. Why? I have no idea.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.