Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » 4th Street Fair « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, i'm new to living on 4th street, but I work Saturday mornings when the fair planning meetings are held.

Just wondering if there's a date figured out for this years fair. I have to give my work some kind of advanced notice (usually 3 weeks).

I just want to know when the fair is, not if you hate 4th street, etc.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always a Saturday in July... think it's the 19th this year.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it's "canceled." The city wanted too much sugar.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw the residents of Fourth Street just happening to have a party on that day. ;)

Tonyt

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, I heard something along the lines of that too.

Something about the health department and food service or some crap.

Yeah, I'm down with a more traditional block party. Neighbors and their friends getting together sharing food and drinks. It's been pretty out of hand the last few years (fun, but pretty big for sure!)

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cancelled? Boo! But it was getting really big the last couple years, and I wondered how the city kept turning a blind eye to it.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4TH STREET FAIR IS NOT CANCELLED.

SATURDAY, JULY 19TH 2008

DONT BRING A FRIEND, BRING FIVE FRIENDS.

(Ill be serving blue cheese stuffed olive, very dry martinis)

Tonyt

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, sweet. Thanks Django! I'll see you around the street. We're new in Govinda's building (sorry if I misspelled his name), but have visited the street a lot in the past.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Django, if I peddled a faulty rumor. In my defense, I did say that it was just something I heard.

And, of course, I'm glad to hear the party is still on in a big way. :-)

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Ill be serving blue cheese stuffed olive, very dry martinis)

I like your style Django!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait, its my favorite event in the D. Looking forward to a grilled cheese and corn on the cob. Not much for martinis, gonna have anything else Django?

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forum has become really overrun by people spreading false rumors in the last year. It's always been a problem, but I believe it's gotten worse lately. Shame on you, and you know who you are.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chub: I already apologized!

*slinking away in shame*

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7272
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, please make my martini by pouring vodka into a glass while thinking about vermouth. Thanks.

Tonyt

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, sweet.

Django (a gypsy jazz fan here too), just wondering if the vending rules changed at all.

Last year we helped sell Purple People Eaters at the purple house. It was fun.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, this is only the best block club party east of the Mississippi. It's been out of hand for years. The police presence never slowed anything down, it just made it more kid friendly. That stage sandwiched between the two houses (the house on the south has the mural) is my favorite stage in the city. And the fire pit by burning car is the best place on earth to watch people do face-plants.

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I was at fourth Street this afternoon and wish to spread the word that they are MOVING the date to the last Saturday in July, which this year is the 26th. It always - except for one other year - fell on the third Saturday. The mostly hip hop stage on the street won't be there. I got mixed emotions about that but it will be nice to be able to go to the six nations pow wow which always falls on 4th street fair day as well as more open area on the street.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year the 4th Street Fair was on the same day as the Concert of Colors. I managed to swing by both events, but I hope this year the two events don't collide. It would be nice to know the real dates of both events.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, why don't you just ask some of us that live on the street with you about the fair?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Concert of Colors is July 17-20 at the Max Fisher Music Center.

For full info, check out the website: http://www.concertofcolors.com /

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone at the meeting verify that the decision to go with July 26 is final?

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fair historically has fallen on the third Saturday in July, as Joan'darc mentioned above. And always during the Concert of Colors.

Is it time to start a "Disappointing Concert of Colors" thread since they moved from river-front scenic and kid friendly Chene Park to the asphalt-potholed (ankle twisting) concrete jungle mostly indoors Max Fisher venue?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

positively fourth street-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/190741243/in/set- 72157594143593544/

Wallins
Username: Wallins

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford Health System has plans to build high-end housing in the Holden and 4th street area. The houses will be built on a new street to be named Ford Parkway. How will this affect the present 4th Street residents? They are presently secretly buying up all the property in the Holden/ West Grand Blvd. area. This includes Trumbull, Lincoln and Sterling Streets.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area's about 1/2 mile north of the fair, west of the Lodge, and due south of the Hospital. I've got a beautiful oak filled restoration on Holden, behind the funeral home, that takes up several pages in my portfolio. I'm sure my client is pleased about that investment.

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's on the 26th, I'll have some Police tickets to sell...

dammit!

Wallins

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford Health System's new housing is going to be two blocks East of the Lodge. Lincoln, Trumbull and Sterling will be either a giant parking lot, new retail or Magic Johnson's new theater. Do you think the people who are being displaced will get free movie passes? I love the 4th Street Fair and hope it continues for many years to come.

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where exactly is this new project going? Considering that I own 8 acres at the corner of Holden and Lincoln/ Trumbull, I think I might be interested in this project.

Tonyt

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk- I haven't asked on the street because, apart from working two jobs and being really ill the first week I moved in, I haven't had a lot of time to meet too many people that I already didn't know there.

Wallins

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford, Wayne State and Tech Town have formed some sort of partnership for a 12 block project. Henry Ford does not want property owners to know they are involved as they fear the owners will expect more money,they have an outside realtor buying the property for Ford's for profit real estate company named Sha Realty. If you go to Wayne County Real Estate Index, you can look up what Sha Realty and Henry Ford Health System have purchased on Lincoln, Trumbull, Sterling and Holden and the amounts paid. Read old articles by Tom Henderson in Crain's Business Detroit and Tech Town on the web. Residents are being displaced with no relocation money and not enough money to purchase another home.

Tonyt

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, so there are rumors a flyin' on 4th street.

Rumors are it's canceled, it's on, it's on the 19th, it's on the 26th, it's on Hanukkah, it's on passover!

Oye gevalt!

I just need to freakin' know so I can request the Saturday off from work more than a week in advance!

Django

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" just wondering if the vending rules changed at all"

Tonyt, I didnt know there were any rules, I dont usually "sell" them, there just for friends. Although last year I did vend a few on the sly cause I was broke. This is normally a Dally tradition for me on the Martini couch located next to the beer garage. I just started doing it at 4th St last year.

The 26th is cool with me.

Tonyt

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, yeah not sure about that myself either!

I am just trying to pin down a definitive date to take off work. Maybe I'll just take both off for the hell of it! Hah!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django Somewhere I have a great picture of you, your Martini sign and the couch from last year.

Django

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool Norwalk. Do we know eachother? Id love to see the pic.

Sandyrabbit
Username: Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard it was cancelled. i heard that today, someone from the neighborhood said they voted on it three times and its a no. i hope not.
:-(
fourth street fair to me is what this neighborhood is all about! some of my favourite memories were created there. not to mention every year is like a big family reunion.

sigh.

Django

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMFG, please don't say its true. WTF, this has to be the city wanting more money from a simple block party. Tell me I'm wrong. Why?

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. If anything, it should be cancelled "officially", but a date should be set for a "small gathering" for those of us who who have been going for years.

Whats your source Sandy? I honestly find this hard to believe. Something must be done if its true. This occasion must go on.

Fzappa2000
Username: Fzappa2000

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live on the street any more but stay in touch with friends there. The fair is not going to happen as it has in the past. They are going to have a neighborhood block party in late July but no
multiple stages and bands all over the place. You can all thank our thug, mobbed-up mayor for the death of a great Detroit tradition. 'Go Party somewhere else' is what the city is saying.

They almost shut the Dally down last year for the same bullshit ( Fourth Street is a much smaller, more intimate scene and is never going to get the kind of 'corporate' money that North Cass
group gets. Maybe you can find out when the party
will be happening. Not being a resident, I don't think I have any right to reveal the date publicly
(I don't think it's been set yet anyway!)

Django

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back up Fzappa, Im pretty sure the North Cass doesn't accept any corporate Sponsors. Can you name one? Im there at most Meetings and they've always taken pride in NOT accepting sponsors. The Dallys been going on for 30 yrs now, yeah, Its a huge event but they generate their own money for stages, rely on many volunteers, and are lucky enough to have a few lawyers who I believe somehow staved off the city last year when they wanted to charge the Dally 200 a table. Thats all the Dally charges a year pr vendor I believe. NCCU has made that all happen on their own. Budweiser has nothing to do with it. Prove me wrong if you can, I dont think you will though.

I do remember about 6-7 yrs ago someone tried to bring in a sponsor, possibly even did but he was handed his ass for doing so.

I started another thread on this to try and get some answers, someone was pissed I brought it out in the open, I explained myself there.

Anyone know who to send a letter to in protest of these block parties with no sponsorship, being hassled for "protection" by the city. Seems like there could be means for a lawsuit or something to stop this kind of BS. Ill bring it up at the next Dally meeting.

Fzappa2000

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

I do apologize for stating that the Dally had 'corporate' sponsorship. What I should have said is more 'mainstream' vendors or how can I politely say it.. Gibraltar Trade Center dealers. You have to admit that the Dally had a lot of t-shirt, sunglass and other imported crap for sale last year. But I really don't have a problem with that.
I realize that the Dally is quite expensive to put together and I know the 'lawyers' and fellow
residents work hard all year putting it together.
The Fourth St. Fair is more of a done by the 'seat of your pants' event. As a long time participant (moved from the block 13 years ago
after living there for 22 years) the Fair was often organized by as few as five or six people and then thrown together in a few weeks. It really
was just a block party that just kept growing.
But it seems to have finally outgrown its' humble origins.... Change is not always good..(i.e. George Bush Jr. as President for 8 yrs.) Well I guess the next change; Barack Obama, has to be viewed with some optimisim...)

Django

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fzappa, Were cool, I think we agree on all the major points. The Dally also grew from a small block party also, As I see it, its good for the city, you just have to grow with it. If you want to start your own block party, Im behind you 100%, Im actually thinking about that idea right now since all this shit has been raised recently.

anyone have any ideas on where the next new block party should be started?

BTW, the Dally is ran by as little as 8 figures, theres more of course, but as little as 8 main ppl keep it all together somehow.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ATTENTION

The 4th Street Fair as we have known it for years will not be happening.

Instead, there will be two large parties on 4th Street

1 - on the 19th
2 - on the 26th

These parties will not have vendors and the street will not officially be closed off. Also, there will not be several musical stages. Instead, please bring food and drink to share if you plan on coming. Also, bring objects you don't want/need for a free-trade shop.

Thank you.
*end transmission from 4th Street*

Homeschooled
Username: Homeschooled

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you need a permit to close the street if everyone on the street agrees to close it? Could you keep the street open and just have everyone agree to not use vehicles on the street during the fair? Are there any lawyers willing to help? What about a petition? Perhaps there are some loop holes and if there are not, there are enough creative minds to make this thing happen by working imaginably around the law or with the law. If a human barricade were necessary, would we do it? I appreciate the need for certain permits and licensing requirements. They protect the people in most cases regarding health and well being. However, how long has this fair been happening? If Quicken Loans can get a break on taxes and everything else that brought them from a working city like Livonia to a broken city like Detroit, why can't 4th Street Fair receive similar incentives to continue? It is another asset of Detroit’s cultural spirit not blight and obviously not a cash cow. It should not be about asking permission to hold the fair but rather about receiving funds and pleads from the city to continue as it has for so many years. I can believe this is happening, but no one should allow it to. They are dismantling playgrounds all over the city to sell the equipment to other municipalities. Years of hard earned tax payer dollars went into these small playgrounds and now they are being sold off to cover budget deficits. Where will these kids play now; on the streets with drugs and prostitutes; in vacant buildings? According to the General Information about the Detroit city council the sale and disposition of city property must be approved by city council. http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/le gislative/CityCouncil/Members/ JonesB/Jones_general.htm. So it is not just the mayor but all of city council as well. THIS IS OUR CITY! WHY ARE WE LETTING THEM RUIN IT? WE ARE GIVING THEM PERMISSION TO KILL THE SPIRIT BY LETTING UNJUST LAWS AND CORRUPT LEADERS DICTATE OUR WAY OF LIFE. And we have become complacent. We are Detroiters - regardless of if we live in Ferndale, Royal Oak or Downriver now. We are strong and determined sovereign people. We live in Michigan for crying out loud. It would be nice to get off the computer with our fake blog names and stand up for our city, our community, our human rights and needs. "Oh, the 4th Street Fair was cancelled. Because why?! Oh really, well I guess that sucks. Yeah, I would love to do something about it, but I really can’t afford the time or the risk right now?" It's not just one fair. It will soon be an accumulation of cancelled or busted non-commercial events so that the only thing left will be a nice corporate logo-ridden concert at Campus Martius. (Remember, Compuware and most of the new condos are there because of various attractive tax incentives and abatements.) The 4th Street Fair and other such fairs, events and venues are a symbol of individual expression, freedoms and the power and celebration of community. Do you enjoy watching big corporations being paid to move down to or do business with the city while the neighborhoods and citizens foot the bill? I don't. I will stand up against this continued oppression of the people and especially the culture and community life of Detroit. You will see me out on the streets before the summer is over. If you would like to join me in a type of creative non violent resistant protest, you are encouraged and welcomed. I appreciate the value of a blog in how it connects people and communities and raises awareness to issues, but at a certain point, when do we actually stand up for what we are writing about. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Or, action speaks louder than words. Civil disobedience is an important tool that ensures our civil and human rights are not violated and that unjust laws are challenged and corruption and abuse of power is unveiled. Political action such as recalls, petitions, law suits, and formal complaints can achieve similar results, empower the common people and effect positive change. This nonsense must end: FBI investigations, 8.4 million dollar whistle blower settlements, neighborhood parks being dismantled and sold off to the highest bidder, raids on art galleries, intimidations and threats on street fairs. Save Detroit! It’s our city! Give me your big tax paying corporations, but don’t take away the myriad of colorful grass roots community organizations, neighborhoods, and the creative and human spirit that makes this city great.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they teach paragraph structure at home schools anymore?

Fzappa2000

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homeschooled and all others upset about 4th Street Fair cancellation... Let it go. I appreciate you're outrage at the unjust and blatant disregard by the city powers that be for Detroit's citizens and traditions, but unless you have time and energy to fight what may ultimately will be a losing battle, just go with the flow. There will be the previously mentioned block party at Fourth. Go and enjoy and talk to residents there. Perhaps people cna get together a 'Street Party' for the fall. The weather has stayed decent well into October with global warming these days....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.