Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Parking Scams « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So just giving you all the heads up on a typical parking scam I ran into the other day. I parked my car on Park Ave. beside the Kales Building on a gameday. As Im leaving a guy with a orange vest and flag runs over and tells me I owe him 20 bucks. This guy says it for "Valet". This is obviously not legit. I tell him that he can't charge for street parking and he gets right in my face so I tell him I want to see his permit or I'm gonna get a police officer over there, he back pedals and says for me than only 10 dollars. Im hear to see a friend not the baseball game anyhow so I tell him hes full of it and refuse to pay. He replys with "Im trying to run a business here man!" and then calls me a cracker. As Im walking away he yells something about "lets see if your car is here when you get back. At that point just purely because I don't want to have to replace either of my side windows which would surely be broken out I move my car. This intimidation stuff is BS and I feel like some of these crooks always have one over on you because they have nothing to lose and its likely nothing will happen to them. I keep nothing in my car at all but replacing a window is a pain. I've got a pretty tough skin when it comes to being hassled but it makes me angry that someone coming to the city with their family for the first time would be ripped off and intimidated. Such as life I suppose.

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish someone could post pictures of guys doing that. I would be interested in seeing those photos for sure.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just taking the dicks pic probably would have intimidated him enough to leave your car alone,,, probably. Most ppl dont walk around with their camera though, unless its on their phone.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or tell them you ARE the cops, and can you please see their credentials immediately! if you are convincing they'll hit the road quickly

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would not be in the guy's best interest to mess with your car. A few police reports of that nature would bring unwanted heat to the bums in the area that run that scam. The intimidation statement is a last ditch effort to get some money out of you since you didn't fall for the scam.

Its too bad that a family coming into the city for the first time might run into that crap but we are dealing with real life here, and that family can use an situation like that as a real life teaching lesson to there children.

I had a similar situation a few years ago heading over to the fox. Guy tried the same type of stuff on me with the intimidation and so forth. Upset me so bad I was getting ready to walk back to my car and get the tire iron I keep in easy reach, however my wife talked some sense into me and I thought better of it. I didn't move my car, I enjoyed the show and my car wasn't bothered when I came back to it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7255
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had one of these happen once. Unfortunately, they did smash out the windows and steal some shit. Then they had the balls to send one of them back when we came back to find the car smashed up, who told us he knows who those guys are and can help us get the stuff back. I assume that "service" would have cost some money, of course. I dunno, the tire iron idea sounds pretty good.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get one of those orange vests and wear it when you go downtown. Then tell the him you are the real valet guy.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I take the bus. :-)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know exactly what scam you are talking about. I told the guy I worked for the municipal parking department (obviously I dont) and I pulled out my phone to "verify your permit". He ran the other direction and I never saw him again!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told the guy I worked for the municipal parking department (obviously I dont) and I pulled out my phone to "verify your permit".

That's a good one. Can we all use that too?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 712
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why Livonia should opt. back into the W.C.T.A. to pay for SMART next August 2010.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that story is why people are loath to come to Detroit... And who can blame them?

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark, that is only part of the urban charm and flavor of life in Detroit. I mean, you can park your car safely and peacefully in any number of local suburbs, but where else can you be threatened and intimidated while parking?

Think of Metro Detroit as Disneyland. Detroit itself is Spacemountain, the Materhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion all rolled into one. Let the suburbanites keep Mr Toad's Wild Ride and Country Bear Jamboree, I prefer E-ticket attractions myself. And those are found only in the D.

Shark

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't risk my ride for a Tigers game, but for Captain EO...well, I'd consider it.

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you like Michael Jackson better black or white?

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I used the parking garage behind Hockeytown cafe. It was $20 to get in, but when I was leaving the guy at the booth wanted another $5. I've never seen that happened before. Hopefully I didn't get scamed.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1971, we went to a concert at the Eastown Theatre. The same scam was pulled back then, "I'll watch your car for two dollars" Adjusted for inflation, the price is not too bad now.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6754
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba remembers when kids would watch our car for a quarter around Briggs Stadium. Nothing has changed, just the price.

One remedy is to say, see me when I get back.
Atleast they won't mess with your car. jjaba does this over in Winder Street by the ballpark.

"I be your lookout man." See me when I get back.
Then at 10 pm, after a game, lookout man might be two blocks away. Even if he comes running towrds you with the flashlight, kaboom, jjaba lays down the hammer and is gone like Mario Andretti.

So far so good. Tis a sin to pay for parking, in a ramp or otherwise. And don't fall for the guy who works a vacant lot. That's another scammer.
People, have some street smarts. Don't buy any street Rolexes in New York City either.

jjaba.

Shark

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something tells me those kids weren't crackheads and criminals though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.