Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » CCS Takeover of Argonaut Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I'm on my phone so I cant post a link...

I was reading in Crains that CCS will use more than 4 floors to house 261 students, class space, studios, etc. There will also be ground floor retail and space for other non-profits. They hope to move my 2010.

I think this is exactly what the New Center area needs to bring a little jolt of energy to a hulk of a building. Your thoughts?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7215
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is true, I believe GM donated the space to CCS. I think their new Grad programs will be housed there, and the retail space is supposed to be used as a means of getting students into starting their own businesses. Now if they just had a train to facilitate moving between the two campuses...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7216
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wwj.com/College-for -Creative-Studies-to-Redevelop -Detroit-/2435061

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080616/SUB/806160309/ 1069

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7217
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CCS has their own page on the subject, including renderings (I know how you all love renderings!)

http://www.collegeforcreatives tudies.edu/argonaut

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats awesome!, cant wait for that to happen.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as an alumni this sounds like awesome news for the school, but when enrollement jumped around the time the walter b ford building opened i've heard many people say that the collective level of work coming out of there has suffered since, i hope this doesn't exacerbate that. either way this will be a boon to new center, and that's a great thing.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7220
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shout out to my fellow alum Gravitymachine!

Yes I think you are right about the work suffering a bit around that time. They had more capacity, and wanted to fill it, so I think they accepted more people. But CCS always tended to be very full at the beginning of a semester, and then the numbers would dwindle down a bit as kids realized you actually have to work pretty hard.

There's still a lot of great stuff coming out of there. And the amount of work those Transportation students do, DAMN.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you drive by the back of the building on Baltimore you can see the mountain of rubbish from the gutting.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how long has this building been empty?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ they said 10 years in the story on wdet this morning

mr. lodge

i am a trans graduate, i can testify to the amount of work, a couple all-nighters a week's worth at least. and on that subject, i would like to apologize for sleeping through several of leoqueeen's classes, believe me, it was not for lack of interest :-)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on June 19, 2008)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter is a Junior @ CCS and she said it's gonna be great because it will house all the students know one likes.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll certainly be huge for the Northern Lights Lounge- 250+ college students living a block away, plus more daytime traffic?

Maybe the foot traffic around the area would make the New Amsterdam projects more successful, particularly phase two at 2nd and Amsterdam.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More transportation students means more ideas and yet the car manufacturers already resist aesthetics that are unfamiliar. I know, I proposed modern ones and they clung to their macho ideas that a bigger and faster car is better, oh, add the obtuse curves too (lol). Most of America isn't into that macho car anymore. Enter the modern era Detroit car manufacturers. Best wishes to the enthusiastic transportation students!

(Message edited by Lnfant on June 19, 2008)

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ground floor retail is the key, and the creative class is too.

(Message edited by benfield on June 19, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's awesome. Between that, Techtown, and the new WSU headquarters, I smell some pretty cool redevelopment happening.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2642
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU Headquarters or WSU Police Headquarters, Digitalvision? Also, crews are tearing down the parking deck in back.

There is great potential for more development in that area along Baltimore Street. The NBC Building and the building east of it that the Detroit Public Libray owns would be residential developments. It would be nice to see that parking lot by the train tracks turned into a small park with a nice running track and maybe a full court basketball court.

Finally, I have often imagined a nice row of townhouses where that two story parking lot now stands. That would add plenty of residential to Baltimore.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately GM has always been a responsible landlord, and either quickly tears down or carefully mothballs its unused properties. (Fisher Body 21 got to its present state after it was sold to a different company). Because of the Argonaut's stable, secured condition during closure, renovation is a lot more feasible.

Interestingly, originally there was ground floor retail at the Argonaut. The storefronts were later closed off, but done in a way that made it look like it was the original design.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear the New Center Area is coming along nicely as well. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7054
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if CCS can successfully have a split campus, then there is NO reason why the Maritime School planned for the Detroit Boat Club on Belle Isle needs to have their their housing, etc., on the island.

Do like CCS, and put it in another campus. The Riverview Hospital (near the bridge) that St. John is closing would be an ideal rehab building for student housing.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 24, 2008)

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another link:

http://www.wwj.com/College-for -Creative-Studies-to-Redevelop -Detroit-/2435061

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6060
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,

I may be wrong, but if I remember right, General Motors hasn't owned the Argonaut in many years.

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 25, 2008)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8259
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess what I find kind of interesting in all of this was during CCS' explorations to the uses of the Argonaut, General Motors helped pay half of those costs.

The fact that Albert Kahn's firm was called in to help was also a nice touch. It should be an interesting piece to the puzzle in the New Center area. Schools like this are solid anchors to a community and I hope that this project will help revitalize the area again.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, college students can get from one campus to another a lot better than high school students. Not saying I'm in favor of the Maritime school on Belle Isle, but having student dorms near the school makes a lot of sense. Having the students stay in one location and having them travel by car, bus, or walking, defeats the purpose of the boarding-school concept.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7299
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,

The WWJ article reads:

quote:

General Motors Corp., which built the 760,000-square-foot building as its first research facility, has donated it to CCS and provided substantial assistance in planning the project. GM has also donated three adjacent pieces of property. CCS programs and departments will occupy about 70 percent of the Argonaut Building, with other partners making up the remainder.

So it appears they must have still owned it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8260
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's because of men like Matt Wagner and Gary Cowger over at GM that have had a vision for this building that CCS got the property. It was an ideal situation- GM wanted to unload this property and CCS was looking to expand.

The fact that Harley Earl once designed cars in this building is also a nice coupe for CCS as well.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5031
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the wdet report harped on that interesting fact.

It's a great project that will breathe life into a now lifeless building and (by and large) neighborhood. I hear that CCS also plans renovations at their present campus. I wonder what this will entail.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7300
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they ever stopped renovating their present campus. It already looks nothing like when I was there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7059
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Royce, I keep thinking of the Belle Isle school idea as a college level school.... but can you imagine high schoolers at night having a closed (to the public) island park all to themselves... oh the mischief!

But I also have to agree with the poster on the other thread who mentioned that with most maritime shipping registered under Panama and other "less than 1st world countries"... is there even a market for US based "higher cost" maritime personnel?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.