Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Boston Edison « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone on here by change live in Boston Edison that can give some real living there experiences?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amen. let's hear them. btw, if rail goes up on woodward, expect prices in that neighborhood to SOAR.

Rid0617

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason we're considering Boston Edison. Trying to figure when the wife can get a week off to make a trip.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is one of my top picks right now as well.

Rid0617

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully I will get to meet some of you. The hope is to be up there looking at Boston Edison within 3 weeks.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there are no good schools near by. Or grocery or drugstores. It depends what you are looking for, I guess. I suppose it would be ok for people without kids (the target audience for most of Detroit's upper class housing.)

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in BE for a year and enjoyed it.
The people are really nice and it's a great neighborhood. The only drawbacks are the migratory crackheads that shuffle through the park and the petty auto theft. Never had a problem with crime beyond the street curb.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a good list of who the original owners of these homes were?? Who had them built? I know there was Hudson, Dodge, Wills Etc. but is there a definitive list?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgavrile: Check a Polk's directory from the l920s-or even earlier, if possible. I imagine that the Detroit Public Library would have them. The directory will list, by street address, the original owners. The subdivision was platted around l910.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Historic Boston-Edison Association offers some of this info on their website:

Significant Residents of the Boston-Edison Historic District
http://www.historicbostonediso n.org/history/people.shtml

And you can print out their tour maps from this page:
http://www.historicbostonediso n.org/touring.shtml

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved downtown to be closer to work after a year in BE. King Cole's Foods on Clairmount is a great grocery store in that neighborhood. Doesn't get much rep, but they have a good selection of stuff and good prices.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't speak for the schools in the area, but that comment about grocery and drugstores nearby was dead wrong. There are two CVS stores minutes away either north or south on Woodward -- take your pick -- and it's really not far from Midtown or Eastern Market for your complete grocery shopping needs. I don't think it's ideal from a walkability standpoint, but that's why light rail makes this area so much more attractive.

I live in Brush Park now, but I think in a few years if I were in the market for a single-family home, I might even choose BE over an area like Indian Village because of its expected proximity to light rail transit.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in a Boston-Edison carriage and it remains a regular part of my jogging route.
The community is not as tight-knit as Indian Village and the homes are a wider range from the $1 million mansions to the smaller homes on Longfellow and Atkinson that are between the Lodge and Linwood. Like it or not, there are many, many foreclosed, vacant homes. Remember the district is split by the lodge and homes further away from the lodge _ especially those on the west-side of the lodge and one Boston _ tend to be in a better neighborhood cuz there is less through-traffic.
Then neighborhood is wonderfully convenient -- right off the Lodge _ and about a mile north of New Center, The DIA etc. but it is bordered by rough-rough parts. In fact the strip of woodward by the cathedral _ the otherside of Woodward is Arden Park _ is a frequent pick up spot for hookers.
Walking up and down the neighborhood streets are great; but there is really "no place," in terms of a solid corner store, to walk to. King Cole Food, a privately owned grocery store is nearby and they are quality --- a little pricier and not the greatest selection but much better than most corner groceries.

There are good housing deals to be gotten but look around the block to see how many more vacant and long-on-the-market homes there are.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother and I both had houses in Boston-Edison for 5 years. I've already stated my ups and downs with the neighborhood many times on this forum, so I'll spare you. Look up my old posts if you want.

I do wish the best for the neighborhood, but if I ever come back to Detroit some day, it probably won't be to Boston-Edison. Major change would have to happen first. I guess that goes for the whole city though.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking to move to Boston as well. Lots of great colleges there. Aerosmith is from there too.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an inside track on a fairly prominent home in BE that will shortly be going up for sale. Home is in surprisingly good shape. Structure is intact, house has great 'bones', fixtures and finishes are mostly all there and original. Systems (electrical and plumbing) however, are original and it needs some serious TLC.

If there is serious interest, I can refer you to the agent that will handle the sale.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on, Pcasey -- did anyone REALLY say that about the People Mover? If they did, I can only imagine that it was said in the context of the system being expanded as originally intended.

I suppose that if the light rail gets built, but only from Foxtown to Grand Blvd and never gets expanded to 8 mile & beyond, and the commuter rail to the airport and Ann Arbor falls through, your point might be right on. I'm just hoping that won't be the case.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i work with a guy whos wife owns in B-E...

the house was at one time a fabulous structure.7 bedrooms, 3 or 4 baths, a sunroom on all 3 floors, servant quarters with back stairway to the kitchen, a finished basement with a full bar complete with mirrors behind it and a full length cooler/chiller under the back counter. 22 rooms in all...

i installed some dusk/dawn lighting and the mortar was so crumbly, i was afraid they wouldnt stay up so i opted for long toggle bolts thru the brick wall...

look carefully at anything in there just because of the ravages of weather. many of the houses i saw driving in and out showed many signs of neglect from peeling shingles to rusted out gutters to old steel framed windows with cracked panes...

lots of history there, thats for sure...

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, some know that I got a boner over seeing the B-E prices in January, set aside 5 days to come visit in February, then had family matters and the uber-crash of the real estate market refocus my direction.

Basically I check out the under $70,000 homes on the Boston-Edison website twice a week hoping, selfishly, they stay that way for years to come.

I work for Wells Fargo. We have a website www.pas-reo.com that has Wells owned foreclosed properties, one of which is in BE now.

Even the $70,000 to $125,000 range of house in B-E would be the equal to $300,000 to $450,000 homes in greater Des Moines, Iowa where I live. You might get new construction fo rthat much, but not the hand-built quality of a B-E or Indian Village home.

I know this doesn't help you with "personal" experiences, and frankly, I wouldn't mind a recap on B-E from Chub, because I am not sure how to spot-check old posts, like he mentions.

I did email the association and was very impressed by their enthusiasm and response. It's probably not Indian Village, but overall, it's a nice neighborhood with tons of history and sound architecture.

Go in with eyes wide open though, because the taxes are still high, energy costs on homes with original infrastructure will be enormous. My wife and I owned a 1917 home in older Des Moines, NOT redone, and energy costs once were $950 for the month. We had to move out of our dream house.

I will join the B-E association this year and keep tabs on the prices in years to come. My goal is still to snowbird, with 8 months in Detroit and 4 in Florida. I'm 44, so I certainly don't want B-E to be down another 20 plus years just for me, and I don't think it will be.

I need to come, just to check it out and gain some perspective. I've lived in Houston, Texas, a sprawling melting pot of 5 million people, so I understand big city living and challenges. I just can't quite understand when Detroit area forumers refer to streets and neighborhoods.

My dream neighborhood would be B-E with that melting pot of ethnic groups respecting each others properties but feeling comfortable enough to come over after work to drink a cold one and relax on the porch. That's why these homes were built, not as personal feifdom enclaves like the suburbs, but as centers-of-universe for families. I that's what you seek, then B-E ought to be the place.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Boston-Edison. I moved here 10 years ago - from Royal Oak - and this is where I CHOOSE to live. The homes go from modest to grand; I have neighbors who are retired (and living here since the 1950's) to professionals with sizable incomes and positions. I have neighbors of all religions and faiths. I have neighbors of all races.

That being said - we have our problems with foreclosed homes. It is a bit disheartening, but it is not hopeless. I know of 7 homes in the last 2 weeks that are now occupied. People know a good deal when they see one -- and B-E is full of good deals right now.

It is true, some of our homes need a lot of work - in fact, mine required about $40,000 in renovations (roof, electric, plumbing, tuckpointing, etc.) but the final product is well worth it. Like in any market, have a home inspection and enter into the transaction with eyes wide open. If you know what you are doing, you'll be rewarded many times over.

As for drug stores, groceries, etc. The nearest CVS is two blocks away. A for groceries, if you don't like King Cole, drive 1-1/2 miles down the freeway to the Spartan Store - University Foods - near Wayne State. Eastern Market is less than a 10 minute drive (ok, I tend to drive a little too fast). There is the new specialty market down on Woodward (Zuccaro's).

My greatest joy in living in B-E ---- my house and my neighbors. I have met people in the Association I never would have met otherwise. AND, my house is where I belong. It has workmanship and details my house in Royal Oak never had.

If I had it to do all over again -- would I buy in Boston-Edison -- even knowing that the mortgage market was going to tank -- YES YES YES.

Some folks like suburbia with the cookie cutter homes, lack of mature trees, and lengthy drives to work and play. That's great for them. I prefer to have a home with history and character. I prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood. I prefer to be only minutes away from the DIA, Ford Field, Comerica Park, Orchestra Hall, The Fox Theatre, and countless other entertainment venues and restaurants.

BOSTON-EDISON ROCKS!

Rid0617

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you bostonedisonrocks. That is the main thing we are concerned about was the actual neighborhood. We have always been history nuts and for 6 years lived in a 2 story farm house that was built in 1858. This place was not the classy farm house. Typical mountain farmhouse with a tin roof. Still had the square nails and we loved it.

A lot of the inconvience Detroiters are experiencing (grocery stores, shopping, etc) is every day life for us with the nearest grocery store 6 miles a way or so.

Lorax
Username: Lorax

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostonedisonrocks- thanks for your post and great info- I'm looking at a partially scrapped home in the Arden Park/East Boston neighborhood next week, and if all goes well, you'll have a former Detroiter, now in Miami, with two places to call home. Maybe someone in the forum will have a reliable electrician & plumber not scared by old houses they can share! Will need to winterize and secure before returning in the fall to start some heavier work.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.pas-reo.com
That website is just an advertising link to other foreclosure websites. It is what they call a click and pay linked website. Worthless.

Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorax: I have a great Electrician who has done a lot of work for me and I have recommended to a number of my neighbors. Historic Boston-Edison Association also has an annual Preservation Fair - where we invite contractors and trades people who are known to have done good work in the neighborhood. Residents (of all the Historic districts) are invited to attend to talk to contractors, get numbers, arrange estimates, etc. Each year we develop a book of the contractors that were invited. You may be able to get a copy by going to our website and sending an email to us. In addition, mention this "thread" and the fact that I (Brian) mentioned a good electrician. Your email will find it's way to me.

One thing you will find, B-E has a lot of people willing to share knowledge, resources and info.

Rid0617

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I was curious about, I know Michigan is a big union state. Here in the south we have no unions which provides lots of independent contractors who actually compete on price. Now that's talking American contractors, not the illegal hispanics who have invaded SC and will do it for $6 an hour. Does such a thing exist up there because I have the feeling the majority of the BE homes need updating. But then if people have been living in these homes this long maybe it's ok as long as you don't run too many things on the circuit.

Rid0617

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostonedisonrocks got a quick question. I emailed the BE historic association and they really couldn't give me a good answer. When you purchased your home did you have to have any type of inspection before you could live in it? Here if you buy a home you just turn on the utilities and move in. No city or county inspections but I occasionally hear about a city inspection

Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not 100% sure about the answer to your question Rid. I purchased my house from a woman who had been living in it for almost 50 years. Since it was an occupied house I did not have to get a certificate of occupancy. However, an inspection was completed prior to me buying it - with a list of things which had to be completed. (I bought the house "as is".) I completed the major things - some wiring problems and an illegal sink drain in the basement. However, back then, the city didn't always follow up on the city certs.

I believe now, once you purchase the home, you have 6 months to correct the major code violations. I am told, the dept actually comes out to check now. This is actually a good thing because it prevents people from moving into substandard and / or dangerous housing situations. I am not sure what happens when you buy a home that is unoccupied or has been vacant for some time.

The best place to find these answers is with the Building and Safety Engineering Dept. They are the one's who do the inspections.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/De partments/BuildingsSafetyEngin eeringDepartment/tabid/74/Defa ult.aspx

I believe if you go to the above link, you can search for various city ordinances and may even be able to email someone.

Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About Union Workers. Good question. I have used a number of tradespeople since moving into my house - from plumbers, electricians, roofers, window guys, masonary guys, floor refinishers, and a carpenter. All were licensed and insured - some were in the union. I found the prices to be very competitive. I am of the belief, you get what you pay for. I do not condone using cut-rate folks - these old houses are unique and have a lot of character, you don't want some "incompetent" to mess it up. I simply get a few bids on each project to make sure I am not being "taken".

Lorax
Username: Lorax

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostonedisonrocks- thanks so much for keeping up such an informative thread. There are several homes we'll be checking out next week in the neighborhood, and also believe in using qualified, competent people, as we were able to do with our new place in Miami to our great surprise and luck. Here just about anything goes with renovations, and there are many unsafe buildings/renovations, etc. Now our city of North Miami is requiring certificates of RE-OCCUPANCY! Meaning, to sell your property you need to get a contractor to sign off on any non-permitted repairs done even before you owned it! We were responsible for renovations done 15 years before we owned our last condo, and couldn't find a licensed contractor willing to sign off on someone else's work, even though the work that was done would pass code. Very distressing. Had to rent the place in the end. Looking forward to getting dirty again in Detroit- call me a masochist!

Jim999
Username: Jim999

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great question. I live in the neighborhood, and I love it. I could live just about anywhere--and have done so!--but I like BE/Arden Park best. Why? Splendid houses, good neighbors, lots of energy. Sure, there are issues, but is there a perfect spot anywhere? If there is, somebody tell me.

Now some details:

People ask me about crime. I have NEVER experienced crime of any kind. Not even close--no threats, no fears.

Housing stock. Let's say it varies. Some houses are showplaces--check out Arden Park/John R (a great limestone palace on the corner), or W Boston between the Lodge and Woodward. Some BE/Arden Park houses may need a bit of work, but the cost/result tradeoffs are pretty attractive. Foreclosures are an issue--a new one, and hard to manage, but so far, certainly manageable. And what neighborhood doesn't have foreclosures these days? Have a look in W Bloomfield--it's a sea of foreclosures, with houses falling into disrepair. Same thing in the "upscale" developments of Northville.

Prices. What can I say? You can buy a great house for a fraction of replacement cost, and the house will be as fine as any house ever built, and charming, too! Now that's value. Check out the detailing--woodwork, masonry, materials.

Shopping. Noted already in another posting is the proximity of drug stores, marts, and similar. If you need high-end groceries, note that you can get to Royal Oak in ten minutes; Grosse Pointe in fifteen. Great shopping in both places. Another way to look at this: If you live in BE/Arden Park, you're about as close to downtown Royal Oak/Ferndale as are, say, the residents of Birmingham.

Not boring. That's the best part--for me, at least. I like the energy of the city; the people; the challenge (and joy) of a historic house. It's good to be PART OF THIS--to be PART OF HISTORY. It feels good--it IS good. Compare this feeling to some suburbs, with cookie-cutter houses and strip malls on every corner.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.