Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Old soda shops in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if there are any soda shops even left in Detroit?? I remember one on Porter Street and Clark Park when I was a kid.
Anyone else have memories of any in their neighborhoods?

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paradise Candies at Springwells and Vernor. It lasted from probably the 1920s into the early 1980s. Homemade everything, with a fantastic chocolate ice cream soda served in a frosted mug to tempt us paperboys from the Detroit News station across Vernor. I still miss that place.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi's makes Tiramisu out of the back of their old family owned soda shop on McNichols near Davison. Impossible to locate, but apparently, the front of the shop is completely in tact as it was in the 50s.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the location of the Alinosi store? I grew up in the neighborhood and don't recall the store. There was a store farther east on McNichols near the Waltham Drug Store.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read an article a few years back (metro times, maybe) where even the writer had to bang on a few doors to locate it. It could be closer to Mound. I drive both those stretches frequently and can't locate it but have always been curious.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senate's on Michigan just west of Livernois. I remember my parents taking me there when I was about 4 years old.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Alinosi's was at East McNichols and Goulburn, on the south side of the street. The building was a light tan brick or block if I recall correctly. About fifteen years ago they opened the shop for the Christmas season, and it was eerie; it was as though it had never closed at all, except for the windows all being bricked up.

Do they still have the retail outlet in one of the Pointes?

Senate Coney still exists in the location you recall, Downriviera.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Werner's soda shop was on Chene. George Werner later opened a bar on Kelly and Moross and later a Hallmark Store on Kelly and 9 or 10 mile

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paczki: The bar would have been the Rosewood Lounge

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fond memories of Werner's on Chene. Also Jo-Ge's on Chene as well. Both big with the Catholic High School set in the 50's-60's and 70's.

Paczki

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, my parents hung out at Werner's when they were at St. Stannies in the 50's. They would take me there in the 60's when I was a kid and I went there with my friends in the early 70"s.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey me too. Same thing. I probably know you from then, or have mutual friends.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof,

yes, they have an outlet in GPP, on the south side of Jefferson just west of beaconsfield.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an Alinosi store on Hayes between Seymour and Spring Garden. Also a Saunders on Houston-Whitter between Hayes and Kelly.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro.............George served me my 1st LEGAL beer at Rosewood (and quite a few after that).....nice guy..........good bar......

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a matchbook from the Alinosi's in East Detroit.

alin

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi on 6 mile was always a real treat. The Eagle Dairy on Forest & Van Dyke was a place I hung around when I was a kid. Certainly Cunningham's & Saunders. My sister worked at the Saunders on E. Warren & Outer Drive. It was always a kick to see her working in ice cream heaven. And their chocolate cakes with the cream filling. I'm starting to get hungry.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi's, Kelly Rd, Harper Woods

WSU/VMC

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Sanders most of the time, primarily because my grandmother and a few of her sisters all worked for Sanders at one time or another.

We would walk up to 7Mack Shopping Center and go to that one. Alternately, we'd go to the one at Eastland (pre-Mall days), which was very large in a streamline moderne style.

I remember what a thrill it was to have a cream puff hot fudge for lunch..with permission. Of course, I would eat a well balanced dinner that evening.

I remember another one we went to after Tigers games. This one had lots of wood paneling and a huge mirror....it kind of looked like an old west saloon to me. I don't know if it was at the E. Warren location, which was completely possible, or maybe closer to Tiger Stadium.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this on the news last week;

Apparently Alinosi has been at the Detroit City Fest/Taste Fest every year. Now that there is a national ice cream sponsor, Alinosi are not allowed to set up. What a joke.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were at the Festival of the Arts.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction: the place in GPP is a coffe bar that has Alinosi products.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi had a shop on Mack off Vernier

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Sanders on East Jefferson near Chalmers. "Back in the day" a lot of dime stores, like Kresge's and Neisner's, had soda fountains, as did larger drugstores like Cunningham's. Back then (late 50's), a single scoop of ice cream was 5 cents, as was a small Coke.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We also went to the Senate Sweet Shop in between the Senate Coney Island and the Senate theater. Everything was home made just like paradise on W Vernor

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Wyoming & Schoolcraft area we had Hill Bills Soda Shoppe on Wyoming between Schoolcraft & Kendall, He made great Vanilla and Cherry Phosphates for 6 cents, then on the south of Schoolcraft, we had Eagle Dairy for Malts, then down at Meyers & Schoolcraft Al Pisa had their fountain in service until the mid 60's, and for the Adults there was the Meyers Beer Garden and the original Booby Trap Bar on Meyers between Intervale and Kendall....remember these Ray

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandparents owned Flip's at Plymouth & Auburn, west of Southfield Rd. My Mom and both of my Aunts worked there in the 50's & '60's. Apparently I used to show up there and hang out when my Mom was working there, mooching out of the candy counter. Apparently this establishment catered to the crowd from Cody High in those times. Anyone remember this place? If so, I'm sure you know my family. Apparently the kids who hung out there called my Grandfather "Shmedly" as a nickname. Anyone, anyone?

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks as if my favorite word is "apparently". Sorry in advance for the poor quality of the previous post. Apparently I didnt proofread well enough...lol

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here"s my childhood memory on this topic. There was an Eagle Dairy right on our corner at Ward& Fenkell-great banana splits. Also there was a hamburger joint called Chris's across the street at Fenkell&Cheyenne next to the Carlton/Surf theater. Lot of kids would skip the school cafeteria & do a burger & soda there. Wasn't there a Wilson's on Outer Dr? I remember they had great onion rings.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Marion Sweet Shoppe. It was a few doors South of Marion Street on the Eastside of Van Dyke, between Georgia and Marcus Streets. I don't recall having a treat from the soda fountain there, as I used any money I was given on teenage magazines about record stars and movie stars.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an Alinosi on East Warren and Yorkshire. WE had lots of Saunders to choose from. One on Kercheval in Grosse Pointe, one at 7 and Mack, one on East Warren near Courvlle, one at Jefferson and Chalmers and Eastland too.

Was it Kresges or Cuninghams that sold hot waffle icecream sandwiches in the basement downtown?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any still around? The only place I can think of remotely like this is A & G lunch on Joy Rd near Piedmont.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi's is awesome. Everyone go out and buy a pint. They have it at Zaccaro's.

Thats bull shit about them not being at the tastefest. I actually bought my first cone at the dally.

Paczki

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas! OMG! I'm almost positive it was Kresge. When I was little I'd ride the Chene Bus downtown with my Bushia. She's shop at Hudson's and if I was good she'd take me to Kresge's for the ice cream sandwich. No Maurice salad for us! Sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic I'll make them at home with Neopolitan ice cream and home made waffle. The first time I made one for my husband he thought I was nuts until he tasted it!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the old Black Bottom; Joseph Campau...two blocks south of Maple Street - there was a drug store with a soda fountain & sit down bar.

Man......back in the summer of 1965, twelve-cents bought a double-scoop ice cream cone, or ice-cream float (with Faygo, of course).

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard someone on the radio the other day talking about a place on Springwells called Family Treats. I'm not familiar with it, but they were talking about the great milk shakes and sundaes and stuff. Anyone heard of it?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dexter Ice Cream factory on Davison and Eureka. Banana splits in the early 60's were fifty cents, factory next door never ran out of ice cream. Then there were the Sander's stores, first cabin all the way.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardhat,

Paradise was a fav of mine too in the 60's. I was also a News carrier that went to St. Gabes. Used to go there often but can't recall the name of the old guy who owned it.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rick,
There was an old guy who owned Paradise, and his son worked there too. I think the son's name was Steve. He was a tall guy. My mom went to St. Gabes in the 1930s-40s and she went to Paradise, too.
Jcole: Family Treats is about three blocks south of Vernor on Springwells. I think it's on the corner of Navy. From what you mentioned, I assume it's still there. It began as a Tastee Freeze probably in the 1960s. It was once owned by the Sorosi family and then possibly bought out by the Fenech family, I believe.
It used to have open-air, walk-up service from the street, but the front was enclosed in the 1970s. They served most soft-serve ice cream, and the usual shakes and slushes. But they also had a pretty respectable food menu, I recall the "Big T" burger wasn't bad. I haven't been in there in years, but hopefully it's still doing good service for the citizens of SW Detroit.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Family Treats = Alive and well.

Mario_messina
Username: Mario_messina

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a post about dexter dairy icecream factory on davision and eureka..it was really nice to see a comment about it..my grandfather Jack poma started that bussiness..what a beautiful area at the time..what fond memmories i have of all my family working there..and going to work with my dad to start making the ice cream in the early morning hours..my grandfather also owned 2 to three homes on eureka at the time any pictures that anybody has of that time for that area would be nice too see...i am very nostolgic u can reach me at mmessina@quixnet.net

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cunningham's in the Fisher Building had the best egg salad sandwiches. Nice U-shaped lunch counter.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cunningham's in the Fisher Building had the best egg salad sandwiches. Nice U-shaped lunch counter.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Podsadlo's at the northeast corner of West Chicago and Mendota. On Sundays in the mid '60s the old man would take me and my kid brother there after mass at Epiphany. We'd walk those two blocks under a tunnel of elm trees. Can't remember what the goodies cost (hey, pops was paying) but the Sgt. Rock and Justice League of America comic books were a dime.

Also remember the old counter stools had an unbelievable build-up of gum wads. A paleontologist would've had a field day.

Always thought Mr. Podsadlo was Italian. Found out recently he was Polish.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi's still produces ice cream, chocolate, etc but the building is not open to the public - the front soda shop has been closed for a while after some vandals damaged the place just before Easter a few years back. The Alinosi soda shop on Mack is still there, but it's now called the Chocolate Bar Cafe I believe. I was there at the end of April. On Mack just North of Vernier on the West Side of Mack. A little tough to find, but worth it.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that Polla's Super Market shown at the far left of the photo Hornwrecker posted?

Jcole

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, that's the original Chatham market. Polla's is one block north, and it's still there.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's great to know. Thanks!

237am
Username: 237am

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone mention oh-so pop in delray?..... on jefferson.... i know it's not detroit....but still....

Jcole

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray is Detroit. It's just a neighborhood name, like Boston-Edison or Brightmoor.

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Alinosi's at Mack and Vernior is now called Sara's Sweets and still features Alinosi products.

237am
Username: 237am

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole,
ahh.... never knew that....thanks

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray, Boston-Edison and Brightmoor are also lifestyles.

Jcole

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all the neighborhoods in Detroit were also lifestyles. Even our upper eastside enclave had it's own particular quirks, different from the other 'hoods around town, especially east to west

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for reminding me of Polla's Market. It was truely an adventure in shopping and in savings. The old man sold out years ago, no clue if it is still in business.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

polla's market is closed down, i loved that place. it reminded me of the old fiesta market on morang and warden.

Jcole

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just took a picture of it 2 or 3 weeks ago

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sara's Sweets has the actual and original soda fountain and all of the chairs, picutes, etc from the original Alinosi store. We trek out there to Mack just north of Vernier several times a year to stock up on the "good stuff." Alinosi's is unsurpassed IMHO. My late father used to buy several large cases of their rum cherries for his best customers and then ship them around the country.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.