Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Homes of Famous People « Previous Next »
Archive through June 04, 2008Jgavrile30 06-04-08  9:36 am
Archive through June 04, 2008Patrick30 06-04-08  7:50 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, do you mean John Norman Collins? That's creepy.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed _Golick. I think you are right. Shock Theater was some other guy, but I can't remember his name.? All I know is that we used to have a night Free Press route and Farand Park was one of the streets ,and it had those big apartment buildings on the corner of Woodard and Farand. and whoever the guy was that did Shock theater lived there, as I used to have to collect from him . Maybe someone else remembers??

Jgavrile

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_Golick, I found out who hosted Shock Theater, it was;
Mr. X (Tom Dougall, a drama professor at the Detroit Institute of Technology), who opened the show with "Lock your doors...dim your lights...and get ready ...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 974
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Dougall also created the WXYZ radio show Challenge of the Yukon, better know as Sgt. Preston of the Yukon.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: My mother went to Eastern HS with Helen Thomas. Miraculously, mom's house at the time is still there: 3056 Baldwin.

It would be nice to be able to find out where these folks lived, so perhaps we can preserve these buildings. We can't do it if we don't know where they are.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I lived in the house where the Michigan murderer lived...

Django, I know someone else who lived in that house in the mid-'80s; when were you there?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hope i don,t kill this thread, last i heard about the ypsi murder house was that a cop owned it, creepy thing i was thinking of my late uncle who was an Ann Arbor cop who worked that case.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn11446: A lot of cities have tours of homes of their famous former citizens. I was wondering if it would be a viable enterprise in Detroit.

The only examples you've listed that people outside of Detroit would know is Alex Karras, Jimmy Hoffa, and maybe Karl Haas.

No offense to local luminaries, but people with national or world fame would be the draw....like that other Denby grad, Sonny Bono. Now, that would be a mecca for a lot of fans.

(Message edited by eastsidedame on June 05, 2008)

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Serendipity: This story came out today.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/E NT04/806050370

(Though the address is not mentioned in the story, it's the Verona Apartments at 92 W. Ferry.)

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I lived in the house where the Michigan murderer lived and killed at least one girl in the basement back in the late 60s. But that was in Ypsilanti not Detroit."

Django, where is/was that house?

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the Verona for awhile ('97-'99). In fact, I lived in the apartment directly below the one Joni Mitchell lived in.

Does anyone know the apartment in that building where Gilda Radner lived? I've never been able to get a straight answer on that one.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 901
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horace Dodge (as well as my sisters) resided at 642 W. Forest.

Jcole

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to one of her bios, Gilda was born in Detroit, but attended Liggett High School, so she was probably either an east sider or Grosse Pointer.

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told that Lucille Ball lived with her grandmother in Wyandotte as a small child.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5452
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Radner lived in the University District. I dont think many Jewish folks lived on the east side back then anyhow.

Jcole

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then she had along ride to school.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 623
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a child, my mother lived in the same apartment building as Lili Tomlin and her family for a while. That was on the east side of Detroit somewheres.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gilda lived in the Mumford neighborhood but attended University-Liggett.

Jcole

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also saw on one of the sites that Gilda's father owned the Seville Hotel in Detroit, but I can't find any reference to that hotel.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lili Tomlin spent some time in Brewster.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Verona Apartments are astoundingly beautiful. This "tenement castle" should be restored and brought back to its former glory at once. A plaque wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

If I was an artist, I'd be clamoring to live there to soak up the vibe. Isn't housing scarce in the WSU area? I just don't get it.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the secret beauty of the C of D. Those who know--know.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, the Seville Apartments/Hotel was a large, perhaps 6 story, building on 2nd, or perhaps 3rd, several blocks north of the Masonic Temple. It was demolished a number of years ago.

Jcole

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil, Thank you. I just couldn't find a reference to it anywhere on the web.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given her age, when Gilda Radner attended The Liggett School it was in Indian Village, 2555 Burns, specifically. The Liggett School moved to Grosse Pointe in the fall of 1964, and the building is now The Waldorf School of Detroit.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With that clue, I found out the exact address was 3160 Second, built in 1926. Cool!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know where Sonny Bono lived on the east side? He would have been at Denby at the same time as my mother-in-law. He was born just a few days after she was. I'd love an address if anyone has old census records. Was he named after his dad. Sonny's real name was Salvatore.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Lily Tomlin bio on the net:
"I grew up on Hazelwood, between Byron and Woodrow Wilson, near John C. Lodge and Clairmount in the old neighborhood that burned down in the '67 riots. My old apartment house got gutted by fire and later it was torn down. My dad used to hang out on 12th Street, and I'd go to the bookie joints and bars with him. I was very socially conscious as a kid growing up in my neighborhood, which was a predominantly black neighborhood. " And some more about when she lived in Highland Park:
"I lived at 216 Louise, Highland Park, MI and remember playing with you in Roy Sander's back yard next to your home (232 Louise?)with another kid named Butchie Gammon. We were fascinated with your stories then and I still am. Dewey Schultz the H.P. Police chief lived a few doors from you. I delivered the Detroit News papers in the apartment bldg at 10 Louise and knew all the tenants and thought that was where you got your stories and characters from--guess I was wrong. I was a beginning piano player but stopped when I heard that your mother said "I'm going to sell to the .if he doesn't stop." I think now it was her sense of humor. Mrs. Tyrrel lived next to our house and once I was playing with matches beside her porch and lighting some newspapers when my mom called to take me downtown to Hudson's. I quickly tossed the paper through a window under her porch. When we came home the police and fire were there trying to find out who started the smokey slow burning fire in her coal bin. Of course I had an indignant look and denied it. My mom said I was downtown with her and could not have done it. Ever after Carolyn Berta who lived further down the block was never allowed to play with us boys again. It was not until 40 years later I confessed to my mom. She was shocked. My home at 216 Louise is still there. I remember so much about Highland Park, Sears, Highland Park General Hospital where during the summer in high school I worked as grounds keeper. Highland Park has changed but it was fun visiting a few years ago and talking to the new people on the blocks between Hamilton and Woodward and giving them some history. A lot is gone. Russ Dawson's Ford Dealership on Woodward at Florence Ave. had turned into an exercise studio. Palmer Park is there but changed too. "

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbshan-

Lucille Ball lived in the victorian home at the corner of Jefferson and Vinewood, 2610 Biddle (Jefferson) Ave. specifically. The homes is now used as the Wyandotte Historical Museum. I think she only lived there for a matter of months as an infant, however. This info came from my grandpa, who is the president of the Historical Society.

You can see a picture of it at the link below.

http://www.wyandotte.net/histo rical-museum/

(Message edited by saintme on June 06, 2008)

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! She's one of the greats! You guys are the best.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone read Ellen Burstyn's autobiography? Does she mention her old house in it?

As long as we're mentioning good actresses, Julie Harris?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She does mention where she lived in her book, but I passed the book on and can't remember the exact street. Believe it was a house divided into upper and lower flats.

It was on the west side, she talked about how she got to have her bedroom in a large upstairs enclosed porch, it was cold, but her own space...

She talked about how lovely the street was, with huge trees, etc.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Eminem lived on the N/E side for awhile; I want to say it was on Strassburg.

Speaking of rappers, what about that creepy Esham guy? I hear he also lived on the eastside, in a house full of satanic imagery.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read somewhere where the White Stripes lived; I even remember looking it up. I just can't remember what the address was. I'm sure I saw it on the Internet, though.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I read somewhere where the White Stripes lived; I even remember looking it up. I just can't remember what the address was. I'm sure I saw it on the Internet, though."

1203 Ferdinand, if I remember correctly.

Stromberg2

Saintme

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack White lived in a home in Indian Village for a while too (after he gained some fame). Unfortunately I don't know the address. I just remember it was a white house with a red driveway. If I come across the picture I will post it.

Saintme

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also I thought I remembered seeing photos of The Seville pre-demolition in one of Lowel's photo tours . . . am I imagining that?

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saintme, I'm talking about pre-fame. I remember it was on the West Side near one of the car companies/factories. Why do I want to say Chrysler? Dang, I wish I could remember where I read that.

Saintme

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack White house, post-fame:
1731 Seminole St

The browser filter at work is preventing me from pulling up any exterior photos of the house. It does have it's own website though (which I also can't open) at www.1731seminole.com

There are some nice interior photos at the link below:
http://www.luxist.com/2006/10/06/jack-whites-house-estate-of-the-day/

And unfortunately I had no luck searching for his pre-fame home.

(Message edited by Saintme on June 11, 2008)

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's it!! Thanks Stromberg2!

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madonna's old house at 2036 Oklahoma Street, Rochester Hills, Mich. was destroyed by fire Friday night.

Well, that's one house that won't be on the tour....

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slider: Re: John Norman Collins: you may be thinking of the Roosevelt St. house in Ypsilanti where Karen Sue Beineman wa murdered in l969. Collins killed her in his uncle's basement. She had only been an EMU college freshman for one week.

Sebastian
Username: Sebastian

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stromberg2 is right about the house at 1203 Ferdinand. And it's currently for sale, on ebay of all places:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA PI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=1902 32609461&ssPageName=STRK:MESE: IT&ih=009

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pretty house. How's the neighborhood?

Sebastian
Username: Sebastian

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of well kept houses on that street, plenty of Mexican families. Looks like the auction is over, though.

Saintme

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The attic certainly looks like the White Stripes have been there.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't John Norman Collins uncle a Washtenaw County sheriff deputy?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.