Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Avenue between 6th and 14th Street....the potential « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving thru this area quite a bit, has me thinking that this could be a great start for some major "infill" development, this all being within about 3/4 of a mile.

Bars/Restaurants: Slow's, LJ's Lounge, Express Bar, Casey's, O'blivions, The Works, Hoots on the Ave., Nemo's, Corktown Tavern, Lager House, Nancy whiskeys, Brookly street grille, Mudgies', Subway, Great Wall Chinese, White Castle, Mercury Coffee (soon ?)....

Auto: Gas Station, Firestone Car Repair, Leaf Spring Place, Car Wash, Spedometer Repair, Mechanic across from Gaelic league.

Retail: ACE Hardware, Sports Memoribilia store

Office: Realtor next to slows, the strip between Nemo's and Hoots has a few that I don't know the names of.

Clubs: Gaelic League and Maltese Club.

Housing: Corktown houses on the south side, Grinnel Lofts, Brooklyn Lofts, misc lofts above some of the above mentioned stores.

It is also on a major bus route, to get downtown or to Dearborn.

Besides the obvious of the Tiger Stadium parcel and parking lots, what could spur this are to becoming a hot spot in the future of Detroit.

I'd like to see the CPA building converted into a mixed use building.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just having the MC Depot on the horizon would be so depressing to me that I wouldn't want any part of that stretch. That sucker has got to go.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just having the MC Depot on the horizon would be so depressing to me that I wouldn't want any part of that stretch. That sucker has got to go."

On the other hand, you can't beat that gorgeous view of downtown. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 28, 2008)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest opportunities Corktown has are the MCS and tiger stadium. A restored MCS would be an unfathomable boost for the neighborhood.

A new streetscape would do wonders for that stretch as well. Brick street, new sidewalks, some new trees & landscaping etc.

A dream come true would involve using the old Washington Blvd trolleys and run them straight down Michigan Ave. from Campus Martius to Roosevelt Park (perhaps even beyond).

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good Detroitpride. Better yet, why not fill up the empty manufacturing plants with jobs! so that residents and nonresidents alike will have money to support the aforementioned establishments.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh wrote, "fill up the empty manufacturing plants with jobs"

What kind of jobs do you have in mind?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just redid the sidewalks and street lights in that stretch last year.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they had plans to re-do that ragedy street too (it involved removing the bricks).

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I knew that, but for some reason (I think the street itself) it still feels like a mess.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A variety Burnsie. A plant employees assembly personell; human resource managers; janitors; maintanance etc. We want to see a variety of small businesses thrive, but we dont concern ourselves with fair wages and job security for workers.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Potential is officially the MOST over used word on this site!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost all job growth in the US today is from small businesses, so focus on that. I agree about the bricks; they have GOT to go. Correction: Michigan Avenue is not a major bus line (despite the red color on the DDOT schedules). DDOT runs buses through there only about twice an hour; the good lines are 20 minute or better intervals and there are plenty of them. But if there was more there, it could again be a major transit route, bus or rail.

Another plus for lower Michigan is that it just about borders Mexicantown and could benefit from that vibe.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The appearance of that area of Michigan Avenue is what is really holding that area back.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that stretch, Michigan Avenue itself needs to be narrowed by two-three lanes, either by widening the sidewalks or putting in a median. I prefer a grassy median with Michigan left turns.

After Tiger Stadium is torn down there should be some movement towards in-fill housing and some additional retail. Also, MCS or MCD must come down to rid the area of the "fabulous ruins" stigma. Also, like ProfessorScott said, finding a way to link Corktown with Mexicantown would be a postive step towards revitalizing that portion of Michigan Avenue.

(Message edited by royce on May 29, 2008)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, here's a novel twist: let's narrow it by putting in a median and bike lanes!

Linking Corktown with Mexicantown ought not to be too difficult. If you know the area, it's easy to travel between the two (even by bus; imagine), so maybe better signs are all that's required.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does one walk between Corktown and Mexicantown? Using that spooky train station underpass?

Professorscott

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd use Bagley, myself. Bagley and Trumbull is squarely in Corktown; walk west on Bagley to 18th and you're at the east end of Mexicantown. There's no need to ever venture so far north as Michigan Avenue for this purpose.

Better yet, just take the Vernor bus which goes through both neighborhoods, runs every half hour much of the day, and will only set you back a buck fifty.

Royce

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a winner to me, Professorscott.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

once the bagley pedestrian bridge is built over the sandbox where i75 will be, you'll be able to walk down bagley all the way from 6th to clark park

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In that stretch, Michigan Avenue itself needs to be narrowed by two-three lanes, either by widening the sidewalks or putting in a median. I prefer a grassy median with Michigan left turns."

Too suburban perhaps. A good option (rarely used in Detroit proper) could be to have angled parking. That would create more spaces and narrow down the gastly width of Michigan Ave. With angled parking there could be a curb bumpout for a tree about every 8 spaces or so. These moves might help to give the street the feel of a smaller scale instead of an urban concrete swath.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest widening the sidewalk on each side of the road one lane width, and using the bricks removed to fill in the center portion of the road, where the streetcar rails are and now covered by miserable asphalt patching. Amazing how the asphalt is the biggest problem now, not the brick itself. Three lanes each way plus a center turn lane should be sufficient. It's still a fairly busy stretch of roadway through there. The brick pavement is historic and should simply be releveled, where it can continue to exist for another 100 years or so.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 979
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the general appearance though. Just the way things are landscaped really.

I don't mean to say Detroit should become this... but check out this street scape along Plymouth Road in Livonia

Link: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1#Jnd oZXJlMT1QbHltb3V0aCtSb2FkK2FuZ CtNZWxyb3NlK0xpdm9uaWElMmMrTUk mYmI9NDIuMzY4OTM4NjI2NDA0NCU3Z S04My4zNTQ0OTE5Njg0NDI2JTdlNDI uMzY3MTkzNDE4MzAwNyU3ZS04My4zN Tg3MzkwNTE3MDkz

Now compare that to Corktown's Michigan Avenue.

Link: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1#JnE 9eXAuTWljaGlnYW4rQXZlbnVlK2FuZ CsxMXRoK1N0cmVldCtkZXRyb2l0JTJ jK21pJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiP TQyLjMzMjU2MjAwMDgxOTYlN2UtODM uMDY4MzQ5MDA4MjAwMSU3ZTQyLjMyO TQ1OTYwOTQwMDIlN2UtODMuMDcxNjk 3NjA5OTI1NA==

That little stuff goes a long way. I don't mean everything either. The grass between the street and the sidewalk for example, is not something that should be done. However, the nice little plazas with brick paving, benches, small fencing, and flower gardens on the corners are nice. The lamp posts are something that has already be done. Another one is the heavy regulations of business appearance. Nice fencing and trees in and around the parking lots is nice. As is the requirements for smaller road side signs closer to the ground. Fencing hiding the alleys, and separating business lots from residential lots is also something to look into. I do like the idea of diagonal parking too. Planters would be a nice addition instead of the grass separation in the suburbs.

Another thing I like is the evergreen trees hiding open land from road and walkways. Check out the link below. It's of Ford Athletic Field, with Evergreens separating it from Farmington Road. You really might have to see it at ground level to fully appreciate it. These evergreens (or some sort of nice tree cover and landscaping) would do wonders not only on Vacant parcels on Michigan Avenue, but also on all those vacant lots in Midtown. Primarily off Woodward Avenue.

Link: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1#Jnd oZXJlMT1Gb3JkK0F0aGxldGljK0ZpZ WxkK0xpdm9uaWElMmMrTUkmYmI9NDI uMzg5NTgzMzI0Njk2NSU3ZS04My4zN zMyODY3MDA0MTQlN2U0Mi4zODY0ODY 1ODQzMjElN2UtODMuMzc1Nzc2OTAyN jcyNg==

I know I'm going to get yelled at for tying to take ideas from a suburb, but this is pretty common sense stuff. Plus, it has proven itself there. That is not to mention that the suburbs probably stole it from somewhere else.

Edit: Just wanted to stress that I am looking strictly at landscaping, and not city layouts in that comparison. Pure aesthetics.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on July 02, 2008)

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree sean.....there is a need for major greening along not only michigan ave. But woodward from 8-mile downtown, gratiot from 8-mile downtown. Much needed tree-line street with some grassy area. Evergreens spruces will be nice along wit more predestrian friendly signage for direction purposes also for businesses. Add awnings or funky creative signages....exterior lighting etc. Not to compare ....but create something similiar to chicago's michigan ave. Along our main streets going towards downtown. Just a thought

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct if I'm wrong, but wasn't there already plenty of greening (along all the streets) before everyone abandoned the city and the attention shifted to the CBD?

Gthomas

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there were before but the focus was more on downtown....but is gradually getting more landscaping as you go north.

Gthomas

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot and michigan ave. Really need attention to make it predestrian friendly and to beautify the city, make it more appealing to people visiting visually. Chicago mayor puts a requirement for the city and city businessses to add predestrian friendly landscaping and tree-line streets mainly everywhere or you will be fined. It works and it really make a difference.....it attract creative businesses and bring more foot traffic. People need something to look at when they walk along the sidewalks.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13296
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the bike lanes all the way to Dearborn were a DONE DEAL for this road!

The bricks are part of the history of that area, they should not be removed, but IMPROVED.

Although, talking with a young woman at Eph's about it one day, I stuck BOTH feet in my mouth because her husband would potentially benefit from a cement contract for that road.

I dare say that asphalt won't be the road surface of choice ever again...save for perhaps the way they re-do or recycle it, but I dunno how much petrol products it takes for that.

I'd say European-mix concrete or keep the bricks, they will last another hundred years if maintained.

We need more stuff built to last...

Gthomas

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot and michigan ave. Really need attention to make it predestrian friendly and to beautify the city, make it more appealing to people visiting visually. Chicago mayor puts a requirement for the city and city businessses to add predestrian friendly landscaping and tree-line streets mainly everywhere or you will be fined. It works and it really make a difference.....it attract creative businesses and bring more foot traffic. People need something to look at when they walk along the sidewalks.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow something everyone can agree on. Clean that shit up!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "mechanic across from the Gaelic League" is Downtown Mobil, which, while not a gas station Mobil or otherwise, is a fine establishment which has done good work, at a reasonable price, for me and even for another member of this forum who followed my recommendation and later reported complete satisfaction.
Sam, I don't think you're in this forum, but I'm serving public notice: You now owe me an oil change!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bricks on Michigan Avenue are part of the charm, but the HORRIBLE and inexcusable asphalt patching job on top of them has ruined the road. I don't know if it can be saved - not at a price Detroit can afford, anyway.
And I disagree about MCS having to come down. Focus the city's money and energy elsewhere. Though I will say the residentially challenged folks who live in Roosevelt Park and under the drive-thru awning at the CPA Building make the area a tad unappealing for development. I mean, who on EARTH would buy the old Roosevelt Hotel? And the Mercury STILL hasn't opened.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is up with the Mercury?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The looming reconstruction of the street is a HUGE detractor for growth on Michigan Avenue. Those auto repair, laundromats, post offices, and appliance repair shops are a nice asset to Corktown and Mexicantown. People come from all over Detroit to utilize those facilities. They can not only run multiple errands at the same time, they also often have some time to kill waiting for these services. They might go to a restaurant, bar, shop, or alternative entertainment venue. That is all not to mention, Corktown attracts a huge diversity in demographics. It also is the center of several new projects and reviving neighborhoods.

Tiger Stadium IS holding up development. Businesses that would otherwise be flourishing along Michigan Avenue, see Tiger Stadium as a huge annoying construction project next door. That, on top of MCS, the road condition, I-75 closures, bridge construction, West Riverwalk, and other big construction projects coming to the are in the immediate future, make this a pointless topic.

Some of these need to be finished before it would do any good to waste money on beautification. It does need to be done badly though.

Royce

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that as you travel under the long rail overpass next to MCS you leave Corktown and enter Mexicantown and vice versa. This area clearly is the "void" separating two neighborhoods with a lot of potential growth. Vernor Avenue and Roosevelt park should be redesigned to act as the eastern gateway to Mexican via Corktown.

Tearing down MCS, narrowing that rail overpass by reducing the number of rail tracks, lining Vernor Avenue in Roosevelt Park with some apartments and a little retail, and repositioning the park to where MCS now stands and to areas east of it, would be what I would do to connect Corktown to Mexicantown and close this huge void between two up and coming neighborhoods in Detroit.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with most of the sentiments here except for the desire for everyone to tear down the train station. I live by it and feel that it is one of the "special" ruins that is better to sit and rot than be an empty lot.

But really, we're entering an age of severe energy scarcity. I don't have much hope for MCS to be saved, but I bet that ten years after it's a stupid grass lot with a processional park leading up to it that we'll be wanting to build a train station there.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question;

I have heard Corktown is actually doing good demand and vacancy wise in the subdivision. So, what is the deal with all the vacant lots between Michigan Avenue and Bagley to the North and South, and 6th and 12th (Rosa Parks) to the East and West? Are they for sale? Why are they still vacant?

It seems to me, all these random mini housing developments in the middle of the urban prairies would do much better (and be more attractive) if those developments were built as infill in Corktown.

Anyone have any clue on what the story is with all those?

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on July 07, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bricks should stay on Michigan Avenue.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't enjoy driving over the brick/cement combo on Michigan by Tiger Stadium, but I like the fact that the bricks are still there. Compared to the gaping pot-holes all over the city, and the up-protruding sewer covers found up & down Grand River between downtown and my near-westside neighborhood (which are bad enough to knock my CD player into a skip,) that brief rough-ride over the brick/cement surface is not much of a disturbance.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep the bricks.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Woodward in front of the Fox brick?

Royce

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do residents in Corktown grocery shop?
A grocery store along this stretch of Michigan would be nice. Even a drug store like Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, or CVS would be cool.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the forward thinking of how we would develop this area and "make it nicer". And if we're going to take that step, it's worth having a conversation about what we can do to attract these businesses, attract retail, attract business development.

As for that manufacturing plant, I'm not sure those jobs are every coming back. Though I might be biased as a young, knowledge-based worker in the service sector. What have we done in the past to attract new development into these types of areas? Are the brownfield incentives? How have other cities gone about this process successfully so we don't have to reinvent the wheel?

And just humor me, and maybe we can leave KK, Beatty, city council, and DPS out of this convo. I don't think there's anyone on this board who wouldn't want Dearborners to drive down Michigan Ave and be welcomed to that beautiful skyline by some really nice neighborhoods.

Let's keep it to specific policy recommendations vs. "this place would already be nice if KK weren't such a whore and if Coleman Young died 10 years earlier and if we only had a WASPy city council and it were 1966". Ok, we get it.

Assume I'm an outside investor looking for a place to put money into retail or bring my business downtown. What would you do to convince me to redevelop this area and make it worth my while?

YPD

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4303
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where do residents in Corktown grocery shop?

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/honey56.aspx

Panda
Username: Panda

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even a drug store like Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, or CVS would be cool.

Uhhh...no thanks.

Royce

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Panda, so where do get your pharmacy needs met in Corktown?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently Corktown needs to be ignored because it's to white (according to some on here).

I'll say again, Corktown should be protected. Fixing up Michigan Ave. would be a huge plus. Some of you said that you liked Brush Park, and others. The problem with most of those, is that they don't need as much protecting, but rather need to be fixed up and rebuilt/renovated. This was what I was talking about. When spinning plates, you shouldn't drop one plate because you moved your attention to another.

I don't understand all the people hating on Corktown. Like every block in the city that is doing well shouldn't be tended to? It makes no sense to me.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^troll.

Sean you already covered the Corktown protection thing on another thread. And after perusing this thread for a second time I couldn't find anyone hating on Cortktown.

I don't think Sean of Detroit exists as a real person (the persona on this forum). I think you are actually a banned forumer having a little fun.

If I'm wrong and you are real, you seem really needy. High maintenance if you will.

If more people were interested in starting businesses along that stretch of Mich, there would be more business along that stretch. It's really that simple.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 929
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

losing MCS would be the most tragic architectural for Detroit. It HAS to stay.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, when I lived in Corktown, I could find basically whatever I needed along Vernor in Mexicantown

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Andy. WHY? Do what with it? Sure, it's a cool looking building, but that's about it. It will never serve any purpose other than illuminating the urban decay of Detroit. Seriously, what would you like to see done with it?

(Message edited by kid dynamite on July 24, 2008)

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Andy. I absolutely love that train station.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy I agree!

Raggedclaw, for Christ sakes (and I mean this as nicely as possible), GROW UP, and get a clue! You're judging of people without knowing anything about them for what reason? Who's the one REALLY doing the trolling right here? I don't think it's me. We repeat stuff all the time on here (you too!). I wanted to voice my opinion in this totally different conversation. Don't get trolling and self expression confused now. LOL!

Are you forgetting how public I am about my identity? A good number of the people on this site alone know much of my personal information. I mean come on... I even had my phone number posted on here for a minute. LOL! I honestly am thinking you have absolutely no idea.

Why try and start problems? I have absolutely no issue with you at all. Is it to much to ask of you to at least TRY to keep it civil?

Good grief! Why do we do this stuff? I really need to learn how to be above all this. I probably shouldn't even be giving people like this the time of day.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea of a revitalized Michigan Avenue has gotten me pumped....and I'm an east sider!

I love the MCS. Whether its the new Police HQ, or a hotel, or whatever has been previously discussed. Yes, it must be saved; what about train travel increasing due to energy costs?

And until the Feds make American manufacturing a viable industry again, entrepreneurship is our brightest hope for new jobs. Job first, then house.

Seems like demolition companies and house movers in Detroit would be doing OK these days. LOL

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with the MCS is it was built as a train station then an office tower was built over it, that was never used. The location of the station being so far away from downtown, and G.M. closing the street rails in Detroit was its failure. So dreaming of ways to renovate it will always be shattered for the simple fact it would cost too much money to make it into anything profitable. So either G.M. should cough up the money to demo it or find a good use for the land.

Royce

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, Mexicantown is mexicantown. I was thinking that it would be cool if you could get groceries, pharmaceuticals, and other sundries in Corktown proper. However, your post does point out just how close Mexicantown and Corktown are to each other and that the train station is the "void" or "vortex" where the two meet. Creating a gateway there (tearing down the train station) and using the land as a gathering spot, a park with festivals and concerts or a market/grocery store, would do a lot to connect the two communities.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed. something, at least, needs to be done with the creepy underpass along the train station

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better planning!

Detroit has two missed opportunities:

First, why is the city spending 10 million for a paradise valley when Harmonie Park was doing just fine.

Second, the new Rosa Park Transit Center would have done better in Roosevelt Park (That's the front lawn of the MCS) than in DD. It would have brought more foot traffic to the area.

<313>

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit313: Excellent plan, from what I can tell. What if we applied your idea throughout the city?

My suggestions: Gratiot(East), Michigan (Downriver), & Grand River (West). No area left behind.

Theory:When established and revitalized, the Historical Commercial District becomes a desirable place to work and live. The surrounding homes, schools, etc. will also become in demand...by osmosis, so to speak.

The improvements can then work outward to the next big street, and inward toward the city center. Before you know it, we're on our way to City Beautiful once again.

This can be duplicated on again on other deserving and workable streets, such as Mack on the east side.

MCS

That constant, depressing reminder that "things ain't right" just yet around here. Of course it must be restored and reused. I'd like to know if we're going to get more Amtrak service, due to the cost/hassle of planes.

I still like the idea of Police HQ in the building above. What a great thing that would be for the area! The DFD's HQ has scads of building violations. Sounds like they need a new home, too.

And where is this money coming from? Unlike when politicians are asked, I have some ideas, at least.

1. The Department of Transportation - they got rid of Amtrak, so they're partly to cause for the decline of the MCS. If they got serious about LD train travel, the USDT may even foot the bill for at least the train part.

2. The National Trust: Trust me, they don't want to see MCS torn down. They would treat it as "their" failure. Anybody with the city gov't dealing with these folks about this? Why am I even asking that? Never mind.

3. 501-C3. In other words, city departments can be set up as non-profits, if your state allows it. Like the cops.

In some places, it's actually illegal to donate or raise money for police, fire, etc. Probably had something to do with bribery.

In my own town, we are making our Municipal Animal Shelter a 501-C3 so we can pad the shelter's paltry budget with donations from citizens and grants from charities.

4. Make these negligent property owners pay their taxes or forefit their property to the city. Period. Can you imagine how much Detroit could make off that alone?

Thanks for this thread, 313. Both thought-provoking and inspiring. Wish we had someone with your vision at City Hall.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.