Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What's up with the Mansard House / Hospital on Trumbull « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4821
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice there is construction going on...

Mansard House on Trumbull Detroit

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11798
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it just changed owners recently, though haven't made time to stop by and see what's up. Not sure if you ventured around to the back of the place, but they've completely reconstructed the whole rear of the building, framing and bricking it. I think RSA may have spoke with the construction guys and has some info. If not, I'll try and swing by soon, as I've been curious to as to what is taking shape.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I hear they are converting it to two or three condos. They were in front of the historic commission last month for a curb cut and car port - not sure if they were approved or not. Work seems to have slowed down in the last couple of weeks but they are still making steady progress.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a friend of mine lives in the house next door and i asked her about it. apparently, it was bought by some investors from out of town; colorado i believe. they are indeed renovating it into two or three condos. their goal was to have it finished by the end of june, but IMO that's a bit optimistic.

the interesting thing they told her was that "word on the street" throughout the country is that detroit is the place to invest right now. that the current economy, prices, and renovation is making it almost a sure thing. those are their words, not mine, but it's nice to hear that from out of state investors...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4824
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard the same rumblings RSA. Detroit is on the rise, low prices, incredible architectural gems, etc.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the owners are either named Munster or Addams.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out bid on that house about 2 yrs ago. They were investors from California. I didn't like them.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they were gypsies...small hands...smelled like cabbage.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6893
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, of course you didn't like them... YOU WERE OUTBID!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the house from "Psycho".

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Related to Rsa's comment above about investors in Detroit is this story on home sales on NPR today with a Detroit twist. Link to the story and audio is here: www.npr.org/templates/story/st ory.php?storyId=90889539

Why Are Homes Sales Rising?

Day to Day, May 28, 2008 · A new report says home sales are rising in areas of the country that were hardest hit by the mortgage crisis. Madeleine Brand talks to Carl Williams, the President of the Detroit Association of Realtors. He explains what the numbers mean and who is buying these properties.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see photos of the inside of that house...before restoration.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The scariest house I know is....the White House.

Original, Second-Empire Victorian homes are extremely rare. Extremely! They're much more rare than a Queen Anne, for example.

SEs were the buildings most often torn down in later years; their heavy ornamentation and graceful lines was especially contrary to the sharp, modern silhouette desired by mid-20th century tastes.

Second-empires were often considered "monstrosities" by the myopic ones and as I remember, most were happy to see them go. Historic preservation at the time was limited to a few national treasures and little else.

The tide began to turn when our Old City Hall was torn down, but it was already too late for many Detroit homes.

You almost never see second-empires in the South, the few in the West are tourist attractions.

Detroit has a boatload of second-empire structures by comparison; a man-made resource created by old-world-trained craftsmen just waiting to be tapped. Just the fact that many are still standing is a testimony to their quality.

When I see a house such as this, I first think of a Detroit before cars were produced. I'd like to live in old Detroit back then. Except for the cholera epidemics, that is.

This house was always a favorite of mine. I'm glad to see it's being saved. I hope the renovations are sympathetic to the original structure. Way to go!

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the house I called on back in january and I was told "it just sold last week for $55,000". My reply was good, because it probably would have caused me a divorce. I do hope they remove that cinder block addition. That would have been the first thing I would have done. I hope someone keeps posting progession pics.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my conversation with one of the workers there, the cinder block is staying. Not sure why (I agree, it is such an eye sore!), but perhaps as a second mode of egress for fire code.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have been sandblasting the paint off the cinder block addition, hopefully preparing it for some sort of appealing surface treatment. The speed that they are working is awe-inspiring to a toiler like me.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cinder (concrete) block addition doesn't appear in the photo. Anyone know the address, and I shall look at an aerial image. Then it shall be easier to understand the layout. It is possible it was for egress, but only likely required if the structure had a denser occupancy, like office or something.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wait, I see what you all mean now--I thought that was plywood there on the side structure.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That definitely is a cinder block addition. I looked at this house over New Years and thought who the hell did that. I'd say what they are going to do is probably brick it to match the house. Yes I too would love to see the inside if anyone has a chance to do that, that would be awsome. Wonder how bad it really was dilapitated? Was it stripped of all the electrical/plumbing, woodwork? I sure would love to see. I fell in love with this immediately when I seen it. And I seriously would have moved back if it had not been sold and yes it would have been a divorce as my partner would never move there.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at that destroyed light pole

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5112
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met some folks who were renovating this place a couple years ago...And I thought they had demolished the cinder block addition which was attached to the rear of the property...
It sounds like it has changed owners a couple times since then.
At any rate, a gem of a house that has sat for decades. It didn't have much time left.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd love to see photos of the inside of that house...before restoration."

BAMN !

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 5/05/woodbridge.html

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! After seeing the interior photos, I don't understand anyone trying to restore it...there's nothing left to restore! Just a partial brick shell. Just my opinion, as one who knows nothing of building restoration. Thanks for the photos!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765
Thanks so much for the photos. Man its WAY worse than I thought. I dont understand why people would let it get to this. Some people appreciate nothing I guess. Glad it was sold when I called on it. Any guesses on the restoration costs? My guess would be $250,000????? Anyone know when the last time the house was occupied? (approximately)

Again. Thanks for the pics Mauser765.You made my day.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't see interiors that often....thanks for that link.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything about the house that used to be on Sproat near Woodward? It was that erie house on the fields just North of 75.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pictures you see in the link above are of the rear portion that was demoed a few years ago. This house was converted at some point to become "Trumbull Hospital". I tried to buy this house about 7 years ago, but found a ton of red tape I had to go through before I could even sign a purchase agreement. The state wanted me to do multiple environmental tests on the property due to it once being a hospital. Was going to cost mega bucks, so I passed. I believe the cinder block addition on the side of the house which is still there, is a second stairwell which was probably added when it was a hospital.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6910
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics Mauser765... it looks like the side cinder block addition is going to stay, since it now has a mansard roof.

I too am hoping for some exterior brickwork added to it. From one of the blog pics, it looks like there's a 2nd cinder block addition on the back as well.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the latest on this development?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone know anything about the house that used to be on Sproat near Woodward? It was that erie house on the fields just North of 75.

That house belonged to a person named Dallas Christ in Troy. He owned it for a very long time, at least a decade or so but let it sit and rot. I wrote him a letter once, an inquiry but never got a response. Then it burned a few years ago, and was demolished. I talked to somebody from Crosswinds once about it and was told that another developer had a deal in the works on the land the house was sitting on. So I guess Mr. Christ was just another speculator and not interested in the house itself.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ghetto_butterfly! Very sad. That house with the yellow tape flying in the wind, on Sproat, with those old hotels towering over it was probably one of the creepiest settings I have ever seen. But, there was also something beautiful about it too. Walking by those lots at three or four AM was aways an experience (I would occasionally work late in Midtown, and lived downtown). I always found it all so out of place too. One house left? Was that whole area filled with houses like that? Very sad to see it go.

The house that this thread is about is interesting. Looking at those "before" pictures of the inside really kind of surprised me. I am no expert (obviously), but I would have guessed that houses days were numbered based on it's condition. It really is a nice ray of sunshine on a otherwise cloudy day. Anyone have any updates?

How much are the condos going for? Is it private sale only? Not looking to buy, just curious.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.