Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Filmmaking in Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any (valid) insider information related to film makers or production companies coming to Michigan to film? I'm basically looking for contact information or business names. Thanks.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they filming on Mt. Elliot between Mack and Veron tonight? I biked passed about 8pm and the police had the street blocked off. They were using a city bus and a boarded up storefront as the setting.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe this has not become a bigger thread.

Everyones bitching about jobs and gas prices, unemployment. This Granholm tax rebate for films being made in Michigan should be huge talk.

Cmyk seems interested in trying to make a start in this new industry comming to Michigan. I myself would love to possibly find some work building sets or whatever else my fields of experience could be of use. There are going to be Billions of dollars comming in now. Why isnt there more ppl talking about this. Am I missing a thread?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also be interested in contact information.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This Granholm tax rebate for films being made in Michigan should be huge talk.

They're just more proof that the cost of doing business in Michigan is too high. With such a variety of natural and man-made backdrops, government shouldn't have to write a check to convince filmmakers to bring their temporary jobs to Michigan.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better question: What does this say about Granholm's priorities when she stiffs Michigan businesses that are currently here right with her service/MBT tax hikes, and turns around and gives that money to Hollywood?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that there is a legitimate role that government can and should play in assisting filmmakers, such as location scouting, quick approvals of permits, providing security, etc. However, transfer of confiscated wealth to filmmakers is not one of them.

Some actors successfully made the jump to politics and got elected to the governorship, even the presidency. Unfortunately, Granholm is not among them - she is the Peter Principle personified. Fortunately for us, she will not remains stuck at her "level of incompetence" beyond the end of her second term.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lifetime is filming a movie in Royal Oak today. Washington is closed between Lincoln and 4th street.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cmyk...

You might start by looking here:

http://www.visitdetroit.com/fi lmdetroit/

Also check out the awesome Film Detroit Variety ad posted at that link. I wrote the ad. Nice, eh?

Or try the State of Michigan's film office:

http://www.michigan.gov/filmof fice

(Message edited by spacemonkey on June 17, 2008)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 525
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What does this say about Granholm's priorities when she stiffs Michigan businesses that are currently here right with her service/MBT tax hikes, and turns around and gives that money to Hollywood?

Just Granholm huh? I didn't realize she can write and implement legislation without the State House or Senate. learn something new every day I guess.

As to why the tax break well, maybe because 60% of new revenue streams is better than 0% of none?

No one is 'giving' money to anyone. These companies were never going to spend dollar one here without some incentive. So what if they get .40 back for every 1.00 spent? That dollar (well, .60 actually) was captured from Illinois, N.M, or Conn. Finally we are being competitive in an industry. Imagine that. Gosh, I wonder what would happen if we applied this logic across the board?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7151
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washington Street in Royal Oak to be closed for film shooting.

http://www.dailytribune.com/st ories/061708/loc_local01.shtml

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to act as an extra in that parade scene. Look for me in the handlebar mustache, leather shortz and feather boa wrap.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3494
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs1634, you might want to recheck your numbers.

Michigan is at least $110 million in the red due to these handouts.

This is money that can't be used for legitimate functions of state government.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7152
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand how you can be "in the red" by refunding 40% of tax money you would have otherwise not collected at all. The article didn't really clarify that either.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCP- to echo JL...the refund is on money that would not have been spent here. this new revenue. you can't look at in in a vacuum of what the program itself costs. without taking into account the net effect on the economy as a whole

From the article, "every $1 film credit creates $3 in economic activity."

$3 bucks that would not have been created.

Net gain, yes?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7153
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's just something fishy when they are talking about cutting education costs to help pay for a 40% refund on money they would have otherwise not received. Sounds like somebody is playing games with words and numbers here.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They're just more proof that the cost of doing business in Michigan is too high.

Michigan's cost of doing business is actually lower than a lot of other states (anybody been to California, New York or Massachusetts lately?). The issue with tax incentives for film production is simply making Michigan competitive.

39 other states offer tax incentives. That's too many for us to compete without them.
quote:

I believe that there is a legitimate role that government can and should play in assisting filmmakers, such as location scouting, quick approvals of permits, providing security, etc. However, transfer of confiscated wealth to filmmakers is not one of them.

Great, please start lobbying the other states to get rid of their tax incentives.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares about how much it costs? The incentive is bringing interest and a few dollars to the area.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michigan's cost of doing business is actually lower than a lot of other states...

How can you say that, when as evidenced by their actions (and the response by filmmakers), the state government is admitting that the cost of filming in Michigan is HIGHER - possibly as much as 40% higher - that in competing states?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg:
Have you ever been inside of a store?

Have you ever seen a store that has some kind of a special promotion?

If a grocery store puts eggs on sale, does that mean that their every day price on milk is too expensive?

If a grocery store puts eggs on sale, does that mean that the store's manager is incompetent?

As for how I can say that Michigan's cost of doing business is lower than a lot of other states, I can say it because of something called "research". You might want to try it some time.

Michigan ranks 20th in overall cost of doing business and 22nd in the terms of highest tax burden. That puts on pretty much in the middle of the pack.

As for the states that are cheaper than us, most of them have tax incentives to lure film production, too.

Sources:
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/ jtf/costbusiness.html
http://www.afci.org/incentives .htm

Mikeg

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, of course I've been inside a store and your condescending attitude reflects poorly on you, particularly when you offer up such an inept comparison.

First of all, the state is not just offering incentives by lowering the "price" on taxes/fees paid by filmmakers, they are rebating up to 40% of filmmakers total in-state spending. Furthermore, they are writing those rebate checks using some of the $2 billion tax increase that the Legislature passed and the Governor signed last year. So much for Granholm's argument that the increased revenue was sorely needed to "put Michigan's fiscal house in order."

Why don't you do a little more research and tell us exactly how many states provide film production tax incentives AND rebates on total film production spending. While you are at it, can you also tell us exactly how many do both within a year after they enact a massive tax increase?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7080
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 40% rebate is absurd, what if we get 3-4 $100 million dollar blockbuster films to come here? Can we afford that? No. What is to stop a studio from coming here and shooting a few scenes then taking the money and running after we pay 40% of their production costs?

Anyone who puts up 40% of something is generally a PARTNER who should also get a return on the box office revenues. All we get is some temporary revenue from some transient people that are here for a few weeks.

Mikeg is right, if we improved the business and labor climate in this state we wouldn't need to do this nonsense.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why don't you do a little more research and tell us exactly how many states provide film production tax incentives AND rebates on total film production spending?

It's too bad you didn't click the link that I provided above. The answer was there.

To answer your question: 18 states besides Michigan offer both incentives and rebates.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django......there was a thread about this topic months ago when the law was passed....but I can't find it in the depths of the boards!

Anyway, I moved here to Michigan from New Mexico about 7 months ago. Gov. Bill Richardson passed similar legislation about (Im guessing) 2 or 3 years ago, and it's been very successful in New Mexico.
Just recently, the State celebrated the 100th movie filmed in NM since the tax incentives were passed.....movies like "3:10 to Yuma" "No Country for Old Men", "Employee of the Month" " Transformers" "There Will be Blood" "Wild Hogs" and "Beerfest" are just a few of the many that have been filmed in NM.

Albuquerque Studios just opened up and now actual TV shows are being filmed there ("Breaking Bad" and "In Plain Sight").

The movie industry has brought lots of money into the state, and lots of local business are benefiting from them. Catering, Security Guards, Wardrobe, Hair/makeup, movie extras, rental car companies, real estate (renting to movie stars while they stay, AND for set locations) etc etc etc have all benefited from it. It's been very successful....and it only took a few years.

Not to mention, these people are spending their own personal money on sightseeing, shopping, going out to restaurants or bars.....plus it's pretty cool seeing all the movie stars and famous directors walking around town.
Also, many times a movie production will "fix up" a particular area for the purposes of filming it for the movie, and when they are done they will just leave it that way. Essentially they are cleaning up the city, using their own money.

When I heard Michigan passed similar tax breaks, I was sooo excited, seeing what it did for New Mexico. I can't wait to see what movies will come here, and what positive things it will bring. The way I see it...it certainly can't hurt!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is to stop a studio from coming here and shooting a few scenes then taking the money and running after we pay 40% of their production costs?

For starters, we only pay for what was spent in Michigan. Shooting a few scenes and running won't work. They have to show us all of their receipts, income tax withholdings, etc. and have everything audited by a Michigan-based CPA, as well as face additional reviews by the Michigan Film Office and the Michigan Dept of Treasury, before Treasury issues the rebate certificate.

The production company then submits their rebate certificate with their next MBT return for a potential refund of the rebate, minus any tax liability they may face.
quote:

Mikeg is right, if we improved the business and labor climate in this state we wouldn't need to do this nonsense.

Please explain that to Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana and the 11 other states besides Michigan that all have similar programs.

(Message edited by fnemecek on June 17, 2008)

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All states are now passing these laws. For instance, with assistance Wisconsin just had Johnny Depp and his latest movie up there filming. Then, he was in Chicago (Lincoln Park, then Rivr North)filming some more stuff.

I think its great Michigan did it, but it merely keeps them sorta competitive on this front and by no means really gives them a leg up on snagging future movies. Thus, great Granholm's move turns out to be net neutral essentially and isn't exactly the silver bullet solving all our woes.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

titancub - Michigan's incentives are said to be the most aggressive in the nation. So aggressive in fact, that Gov Arnold in California has demanded that california look at their incentives to stop hollywood from going to Michigan

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8192
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd also think that this incentive package might also be a lure to some of these companies that would have never considered shooting in Michigan before. I see it as a way to draw some attention here and not just by nickel diming it either. Make it a big splash by offering up a 40%- which if it is a lot, would garner some serious attention. Get them in here, show them the diversity of backdrops (coastline, urban sprawl, urban decay, quaint neighborhoods, etc..) and the talent that we have to draw upon and they might actually consider coming back here again

Think of this package as a huge neon sign to lure people to this great state, get them hooked and then maybe do repeat business sometime later on.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit...you mean to tell me that the 2 foreign governers are competing for jobs in their states???

CRAZY!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who say that this bill is not worth it, what does it say about other states looking at this so closely that they are ready to make changes in order to not loose out? People who are too critical about this bill do not see the full picture that all but one rep voted on.

D_mcc

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj...because the only industries Republicans like tax breaks and incentives on are oil and banking...

Rjlj

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct D_mcc, correct. America needs to wake up and clean house.

D_mcc

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj...we phucked round and round...

who can you trust???

I always thought government exsisted to serve the people...not the corporations...We pay these assholes to do a job...if we preformed this way at work...would we still have our jobs???

This bill is great, I can only hope more films come out of Michigan...look how good Narc was...

Rjlj

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Narc was a good movie. Many are not doing their job and need to be fired.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drew Carey Show.... with the opening line Cleveland Rocks, then they built the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

Or...

All the crime shows out of Vegas that show how good their police force is.

Or...

Miami constantly throwing a big bash for Spring that is televised among all the younger College and Older High School crowd. They are conveying the message that they are full of young, beautiful people having fun.

Or...

Even our own city, Detroit is trying to portray itself as the sports capitol by having champion teams at high school, college, national, and international levels... AND is known for all it's great musicians and contributions to the arts.

This is just more of that. Until recently, Detroit was viewed as a hole. All you heard was the bad jokes, rampant crime, horrible blight, and all that other bad stuff. This is just yet another step along the path to changing our reputation. While our city leaders are not perfect, they may still deserve credit when credit is due. This seems like a creative idea. One that may actually work. We have to continue working on that rep because of the few but continuous blunder by some of our leaders and citizens. Those people refuse to fix and pay for their mistakes, so unfortunately it fall one the rest of our soldiers.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4491
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"With such a variety of natural and man-made backdrops, government shouldn't have to write a check to convince filmmakers to bring their temporary jobs to Michigan."

LOL, somebody is obviously not aware that when moviemaking first started it was in the East and Great Lakes area. The studios moved west for weather and wide-open backlots, not state offered financial incentives.

There are some parallels that can be drawn between the auto industry and filmmaking. Hollywood and Bollywood are starting to tangle. Hollywood outgrosses Bollywood worldwide but Bollywood leads in worldwide ticket sales and reaps over 95% of the $1 billion in Indian ticket revenue every year. Now Spielberg & Co. are negotiating with a Bollywood studio to underwrite their escape from Paramount/Viacom - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06 /19/business/19dreamworks.html ?hp

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anniedawg, I just now saw your post^^. Im kind of busy right now but would like to discuss more on this topic. Thanks.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few shows featuring Detroit, getting the Stanley Cup, and maybe our musicians could make a couple more Detroit centric hits, and we are back on the map.

Detroit is going to be the place to be, believe whatever you want, it's coming...

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be interested in comparing what other states are offering in terms of tax packages - if anyone has done that or knows of it.

The new Batman movie previews shows extensive and unmistakeable use of downtown Chicago as they filmed there last summer. Just seems we get lower rung movies and are bit pieces of them at that (transformers, island, etc). Not trying to hate on Michigan for this, just saying its an uphill climb, and again probably not what is going to save us in any meaningful way.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if we had more history, mass transit and skyscrapers available, the film makers would give us a second look.

Unfortunately, all we're good for is suburban and abandoned stuff.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on June 20, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7256
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately, all we're good for is suburban and abandoned stuff.

Awww, DR. That's not true. How cool would it be to shoot scenes for a period film in Cliff Bell's? You would hardly need to change anything.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Titancub, New Mexico previously had the highest incentive before Michigan. You can find info about their incentive here:

http://www.nmfilm.com/

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, what idiot would want to make a movie about a bar?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7258
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL good question DR. What kind of crappy movie would THAT be?

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Job seekers, also note:

You can go to www.imdb.com, buy a "pro" membership and look at the bulletin boards there. Film jobs and casting calls in Michigan are listed there along with the regular casting calls for Los Angeles and what not.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The industrial films in Detroit provide for crews with a good technical background. The New Mexico Film Commission has been on the money, there's movies that are set nowhere close to The Land Of Entrapment that shoot there strictly because of the rebate, see how many of these are from the last 4 years;
http://www.imdb.com/List?endin gs=on&&locations=New%20Mexico, %20USA&&heading=18;with+locations+including;New% 20Mexico,%20USA

It's not just movies, either. When the Silicon Valley cost of living became unbearable NM brought a huge chunk of Oracle Software lock, stock & barrel to 'querque.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, this is the 2000s.

Join us in the present day times. :-)

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know about any training programs for Detroit/Michigan residents that's associated with these tax incentives? I'm sure that having skilled "below the line" people (i.e., electricians, wardrobe, basically anybody who's not an actor, writer or director) already here would be even more incentive for companies to film in the area.

I tried going to the City of Detroit's film website, but it was down. Sounds like par for the course...sigh!

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanderinglady--
Here are a couple of links:

Michigan Producers Alliance
http://www.mpami.org/
Their "P.A. Bootcamp" is a cool idea-- getting young people into basic training to be Production Assistants, which is certainly as good as an internship in a lot of cases.

Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts has been running some day-long workshops, too. Some of those have been in conjunction with the Mich Producers Alliance
http://www.specshoward.edu/

The Detroit area has long been one of the centers of film and video production in the US. Most people were totally unaware of that, since the bulk of the work has always been industrial and advertising, and also duplication. There are hundreds of highly trained and creative people here who were part of the "downsizing" of the auto industry.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django....no problem!
I just wanted to provide some helpful insight to this discussion....since I've basically lived with it for the past few years in NM!

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a decent film called "Albino Alligator" that was entirely set in a bar.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clint Eastwood is filming Gran Torino in and around the Detroit area this summer and will be filming in St. Ambrose church. Very exciting stuff!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 887
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

I am watching "Robocop" for the first time. It's on Encore this morning. When exactly did this come out? It's HILARIOUS!

"You have fifteen seconds to comply"

"God Dick, what was that?"

"I'm sure it was just a glitch"

What a hilarious movie! Gory, but hilarious!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6726
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a new york-based group building a big soundstage in muskegon

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we would just preserve our historic neighborhoods, we'd have a lot of great location sites to offer. Not to mention, tourist attractions.

Soundstages can't compare (and a huge one just burnt down.)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which sound stage just burnt down?

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Universal Studios had a major fire. Lost a sound stage some outdoor sets and a film archive.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2617
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a related thread about this elsewhere. Anyhow, some additional information on the shooting of a pilot for an ABC show shot on the campus of Detroit Mercy:

"Location directors scouted 10 different schools and decided that University of Detroit Mercy would best mirror Harvard University."
http://www.udmercy.edu/news_ev ents/news/by-year/2008/07-02-h ollywood-to-udm.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.