Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mass transit system in Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through May 25, 2008Dtowncitylover30 05-25-08  2:10 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call him a pansy :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I totally agree, Jb3, you said it right. I can't believe Oakland, Macomb, and suburban Wayne haven't started a project to build mass transit for themselves. The suburbs have the time, money, and resources to do so. We should start to pressure them to do so. Luckily I have ways to get to the mayor of RO through a friend, so maybe I can ask him the next time I ever see him."

They love their cars and can't see themselves riding (cramped up) in some moving box.

Besides, if the suburbs did try to build one, then they'll get the works from the city of Detroit.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the suburds would have to work in concert to do it. What good is a mass transit system in Macomb county if half of their jobs are in Oakland? You cna't take the transit from your home in Macomb Twp to the edge of Oakland county and walk the rest of the way to Novi.
And getting the two counties to cooperate could be interesting.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least on Civilization 3 Detroit can have a mass transit system. Sigh ...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6929
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, my Cossacks are invading your borders. They have also destroyed improvements near your city.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Now I'm gonna hafta hurry that artillery!

Civ 3 Trivia: Did you know that Sid Meier is from Detroit?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago isn't just the El, it is also the Metra.

http://www.metrarail.com/

More transit that you'd think.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol at Detroitnerd...actually that gives me an idea to try Detroit's city conditions in sim city 4...it's really a very accurate game for real life city situations...anyways

Yes mass transit would be lovely. I know I'm dreaming, but how much would it cost to build an extensive rail system like that of DC's metro or ATL's MARTA??...or even BART in SF

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a very nice rail system, mostly at grade, for $2 to $4 billion.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4431
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes mass transit would be lovely. I know I'm dreaming, but how much would it cost to build an extensive rail system like that of DC's metro or ATL's MARTA??...or even BART in SF

A heavy rail system in an underground tunnel would likely cost somewhere around $150-$200 million per mile.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think a transit system would be good in areas that are congested with traffic and little parking.events in downtown detroit can be a nightmare,you get there and spend an hour driving around trying to find a parking space.

back in the old days of detroit,prior to the '67 riots,when downtown was probably booming and more people visited the area,was parking a nightmare back then also?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"back in the old days of detroit,prior to the '67 riots,when downtown was probably booming and more people visited the area,was parking a nightmare back then also?"

Yeah, but not as much since DDOT was much more reliable at the time (and people WALKED).

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Actually, that would have been the Detroit streets and railways,( D.S.R. ).

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DSR: Department of Street Railways

Professorscott

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early 1960s the majority of Detroiters used the DSR buses regularly, and the majority of the residents of the region lived in the City of Detroit. DDOT's annual passenger trip count has declined by about 90% since the mid 1950s, even though the population is only down 60% or so.

Parking is only a problem if you bring a car :-)

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Professor S., Well said and well put, As usual.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought something happened to Trainman. Good to know he is still alive and kicking. :-)

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot remember if I asked this or not but hear it goes...

As a Metro Detroiter and die-hard fan of ALL things of Detroit, I am excited to hear that the city of Detroit will get a light rail system along Woodward Ave within the next 3-5 yrs. (www.dtogs.com). If and when this is extended into suburban Woodward corridor, would you guys, as Detroiters (suburban or city-dwellers), be in favor of letting go of the "michigan left" up Woodward Ave to replace it with a light rail system? This includes all other corridors, such as Michigan, Gratiot, and 8 Mile.

P.S., the michigan lefts above 6 mile on Woodward, i think are to be taken out in favor of the light rail.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do they handle left turns in other cities with streetcars?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Left-turns are handled just like anywhere else--there is a left turn signal, which is red when a streetcar is approaching.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're Number 29! The DTOGS project was ranked the 29th top rail project in the US and Canada by Metro Magazine:
http://www.metro-magazine.com/ us_canada_top_rail_2008.pdf

SEMCOG also has a video of the concept for the Ann Arbor to Detroit train:
http://www.semcog.org/AADD.asp x

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, It's never to late to be the Best. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the new Express Bus routes currently in operation on all the major streets. Brought to You by the nice people at D.D.O.T.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just like a METRA train in Chicago, a double decker! Didn't know it was to go the the Henry Ford, that' cool! Thanks for the vid.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like how often this topic keeps coming up. The Transit topic once was not a hot topic, Now it is brought up almost weekly.

No complaints from me. I love reading what you all have to say on the issue. I wish I had more to contribute on this subject, but it's just not my area. My knowledge on transit goes about as far as the old style steam trains at Cedar Point or Greenfield Village. No wait, I also know a little about the paddle wheel boats and cable lift cars.

I'm learning a lot from reading your guys' posts though. LOL!

If any of you do get tired of it though... you don't have to reply, and you could always just bookmark your past threads on the issue and post links to them when someone new brings it up. I just wanted to say that... it seems people get annoyed about repetitive subjects on message boards. But DetroitYES is kind of different... it regularly attracts new members and even more new lurkers (I think), so it might be okay to discuss subjects more than once... for the new people.

If it really, really bothers someone that much, would you mind just posting a link to that past discussion. I know some people who are experts on it here don't have the time to keep contributing to this kind of stuff for example, we all understand that stuff.

But for the new people... :-)

If you guys can find it in you to refrain from getting to annoyed by the repetition on this topic and leave it to the moderators, I promise to refrain on telling you about my plan on implementing one of those old style steam trains as public transit downtown... lol... now that would be a real waste of your time!

:-)

PS: The Cable Lift Cars or Sky Ride at Cedar Point shuts down any time there is even a slight wind. That would be a horrible form of public transportation here in Detroit....

I can't believe someone actually tried to pitch that idea. Although, I am sure they were slightly more advanced.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on June 17, 2008)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Living brought up the new DDOT express buses, I'll give a few details: DDOT is this week launching new express routes 70 Crosstown Express, 71 Grand River Express, 72 Dexter Express, 73 Woodward Express and 74 Gratiot Express. Buses run basically weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. inbound and from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. outbound and make only major stops. The bus costs $2, so for instance if you have a $1.50 ticket or a regional pass you have to pay the extra 50 cents.

DDOT claims the express buses will cut 40% to 50% off the trip time compared to the local bus on the same route.

If anyone wants, I'll post the details, but the PDF file for each bus route is on DDOT's web site (that's where I got it from).

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pro Scott,

Ya got me excited there for a sec, but the 14 is the crosstown. The 70 is a modified version of this service for the east side. Those of us on the west side are not impacted. I went to the website, sure enough. No improvements for DetroitPlanner. How I wish for the days of the 260 again that would pick me up at my corner and drop me off infront of my building. It only took about 5 minutes longer than driving. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get downtown in the morning and 25 minutes back by car. The bus? an hour in the morning and an hour and a half at PM peak.

Its still makes sense for me to drive, though I don't drive far. I would not mind giving up my parking spot though.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I should have been more specific. The other four express routes begin and end right near where their local cousins do, but 70 is only an express service for East Forest/Warren.

What was the 260? Is that one of the buses that disappeared when Livonia decided it was no longer part of the metro area?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the 260 connected Westland mall with Downtown. It ran along Warren Avenue to Miller then hopped down to Michigan. It was replaced with the 265 which does not come close to me and you have to transfer at Fairlane Mall.

When I can't drive I take the Crosstown to Grand River. Its not bad in the Summer, but I am getting too old to deal with the Murry-Wright kids on the Crosstown then deal with the Cass kids on the Grand River.

I feel sorry for those bus drivers. I can remember taking the bus to my high school on most days and we were an unruley lot. Things like that don't change.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RO--
Thanks for the links. Regarding the rankings... that's for the Woodward light rail proposal. It is sad to note that the rankings are based on dollars spent in transit investment. Dallas is kicking in $3 Billion, Atlanta almost $3 Billion, and Charlotte over a billion. I left the really big cities out, because these are cities that are the size of Metro Detroit or smaller that are making BIG investments in transit. They really get it.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A typical US city with a regional population between 4 and 5 million has about 200 miles of rapid transit line, just to give a basis for comparison. We have about 3 miles if you accept the People Mover as a form of rapid transit, else we have zero.

Our essential problem is that we don't seem to be willing, as a region, to pay for what we say we want. Not sure how you solve that. It would help if our leaders would lead, but we'll grow old and die waiting for that to happen.

Grand Rapids needs $8 million in order to get the federal funding for its bus rapid transit; Detroit has no idea how to come up with the $140 million to match federal funds for the Woodward LRT (assuming such funds are available in the first place), and nobody in the legislature is even discussing this. Pathetic.

Danindc

Post Number: 4526
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's almost as if Michigan politicos pay absolutely no attention to anything that happens south of Monroe County.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the issue is that most metro Detroiters don't give a hoot about mass transit? Blaming this on politicians is not practical. They will do what the people demand. And... most metro Detroiters at this point simply don't care.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the private investors' light rail plans for Woodward STILL running on separate tracks? Pun intended.

They and DTOGS should have united their plans some time ago. I'm sure their financial input would satisfy the $140 million federal funds match.

The only weak link I see here is who will pay the tab for the cost overruns that WILL occur.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree, Jjw. When surveyed about the issues that concern them, metro Detroiters put transit right at or near the top of the list. Every time SEMCOG does a transportation survey, the need to improve public transportation comes out as the #1 issue. Every time the leadership asks us what we want, we tell them "transit". But all they do is ask; they don't then act on what we say.

By the way, in general now and not talking about transit specifically, where do you get the idea that the leadership does what the people demand? I don't recall people in Detroit asking for crappy schools or poor police protection, or people in Pleasant Ridge asking to have their community cut in half by I-696, or people in St. Clair and Macomb Counties asking to have Toronto's refuse trucked in astonishing quantities past their houses and farms.

I don't recall asking the state legislature to massively increase the number of prison cells while cutting support to public universities to the point that the tuition at U of M and MSU rivals many private schools. I don't recall Detroiters asking Mayor Kilpatrick to hire dozens of his cronies at six-figure salaries.

Jjw

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall the people of Detroit demanding good schools to often. Did the people voice strong opinions to any of these other issues?
In short, I am not usually one to defend the government but I do believe that if enough people voiced their opinions more frequently, change would occur. The reason why it is this way: apathy. The majority simply don't care. And, I would be curious to see how these surveys were taken about better transit options in metro Detroit. Do folks in Birmingham really want city kids in their neighborhood getting off the train??? Ask yourself that...

Jjw

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor: I will give you a personal anecdote as for my reasoning. I am in Baltimore now and for years, a number of citizens have been asking for a Red Line to add to our metro system; a rail line that would travel east-west connecting our other two lines traveling north-south.
I am part of a committee for that and recently our mayor asked for a citizens summit on the plan in the convention center. Woe and behold, over 5000 turned out for that summit and related workshops. Finally, after that summit, the issue is attaining attention from the state. And, because of that turn-out, it has garnered greater attention from the press. When people actually show up and express concerns, actions are taken. But, when people sit back and say they want this and that but don't show support=nothing.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do folks in Birmingham really want city kids in their neighborhood getting off the train??? Ask yourself that...

CITY KIDS???

Is that the new term for "those people"?

This is the cutting edge of racist codespeak.

The only thing more offensive than blatant racism is the lame attempt to cover up blatant racism with bullshit PC terminology.

When we are dealing with George Wallace/Orville Hubbard style tactics, it shouldn't be covered up or softened with bullshit PC terms.

Jjw,

Can you clarify your definition of "city kids" for us?

Troy is a city. Royal Oak is a city. Even Birmingham is a city!

Why would Birmingham object to "city kids" getting off the train in their neighborhood? I don't think Birmingham would object to kids from their own city getting off at the local train stop, nor the city kids from Troy or Royal Oak. I think the city kids from Manhattan would be welcome in Birmingham, so there must be something I'm missing...

Jjw

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will make it perfectly clear to you: There are many reasons why adequate mass transit has not happened in the Detroit area and one of them is that the suburban "folk" may not want city "folk" in their neighborhoods. And yes, in the Detroit area, I am referring to the African-American population that is the vast majority. I don't think "city kids" is an appropriate term for "suburban kids". One of the stumbling blocks for decent transit in Detroit is the very poor relationship that the city and suburbs share. Don't read into my words.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd, take offense to it if you want, but it is a factor for a lot of people. I believe Danindc can confirm, but this is one reason why the DC Metro was never built to Georgetown...Georgetown residents didn't want "those people" in their neighborhood.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the reason that "adequate" mass transit has NEVER happened in metro Detroit is so that people would gravitate toward buying cars to get around. Well, it seems that people did buy cars...just not American cars.... And that's no DISS to American cars...it is what it is, right?

As far as the city/suburb thing... well, there wouldn't be suburbs if freeways hadn't literally CUT UP neighborhoods to ACCOMMODATE those "suburbanites" getting too and from their downtown jobs.

In other words, today's issues stem from last century's decisions.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mass transit systems do not stop people from buying cars that much. Toronto has very high transit use, however 60% of transit riders still have their own car sitting in the driveway. Only 15% of transit riders choose not to own a car eventhough they can afford to have a car.

Transit networks offer choice. It does not mean will never step foot in a car.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Toronto wasn't/isn't in the automobile manufacturing business. Detroit is/was.... for more than 100 years or so.... If the people making the cars aren't buying them, that's cutting off a major market opportunity. Even if nobody else buys the cars, the locals need to buy them to keep the industry afloat. Isn't it (morally) illegal to park one's "foreign made" vehicle in a Big 3 plant parking lot?

The region/state hung on to the (present state of) industry WAY TOO LONG....

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto: We should never "step foot" anywhere. :-)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7135
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are as many threads on mass transit on this forum as Democrats pledging to fund it. Both have produced nothing.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This message from 1987 was brought to you by Fox News. We now return to the 21st century.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar,
Mass transit does not stop people from buying cars. They just use them less. Detroit during its auto heyday had very high transit use.
And infact the Greater Toronto Area is one of the largest auto manufacturing areas in North America. So transit does not have a bad effect on the auto makers.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike is right: the Toronto area produces plenty of vehicles and auto parts. I am not sure how many auto workers take transit (the factories tend to be in non-urban areas).

Toronto has several large, community busting highways. The Toronto area also has dramatic, disgusting urban sprawl. However, despite all this, Toronto remains a desireable place to live and raise a family. Really, the main divide between Toronto and Detroit over the last 50 years has been the intensity of both the level of racism and the level of crime.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have visited Toronto several times, and I formed the impression that Toronto is what any big American city might look like if Americans gave a shit about their big cities. It's a very nice place, not without its problems but very cosmopolitan and interesting. I don't enjoy driving around Toronto, but of course one of the benefits of Toronto is you don't have to drive.

Mrs. Prof and I got to see Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages a good many years ago; wonderful memories.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want mass transit, the spokes within the city limits are a great place to look to move. Don't all the spokes have twenty four hour, seven days a week bus service that is on average about fifteen minutes apart?

By spokes I am referring to the major spokes Michigan, Grand River, Woodward, Gratiot, East and West Jefferson, and West Fort. I also think 8 Mile and Telegraph also have such services.

Is this correct? If so, it would seem that it is in fact possible to live in Detroit without a car. So long as you live near one of the above mentioned roads.

Danindc

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Erikd, take offense to it if you want, but it is a factor for a lot of people. I believe Danindc can confirm, but this is one reason why the DC Metro was never built to Georgetown...Georgetown residents didn't want "those people" in their neighborhood.

This is a common misconception. Georgetowners didn't want a subway station because they knew it would encourage development. They didn't want 10-story "K-street" box office buildings replacing the historic fabric of their neighborhood. "The Great Society Subway" by Zachary Schrag covers this is more detail. Note that the VERY busy "30" series of buses still transverse Georgetown about every 10 minutes. The #1 complaint of Georgetowners? There's nowhere to park.

quote:

Well, Toronto wasn't/isn't in the automobile manufacturing business. Detroit is/was.... for more than 100 years or so.... If the people making the cars aren't buying them, that's cutting off a major market opportunity. Even if nobody else buys the cars, the locals need to buy them to keep the industry afloat

This is an ignorant line of reasoning at best. Southeast Michigan is about 1.5% of the U.S. population (never mind the global market).

Miketoronto

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The spoke roads actually do not all have frequent transit. Woodward is the only one that has bus service every 15 minutes or less. The other routes might have frequent service at rush hour, but see their service drop off in off peak hours. Jefferson at best gets 20 min service in rush hour.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike and Sean, Woodward has service every 8 minutes most of the day, Grand River has service every 10 to 12 minutes and Gratiot has service every 12 minutes.

Fort, East Jefferson and Michigan do not have those kinds of service frequencies. Eight Mile has DDOT service about every 25 minutes. Telegraph has SMART service once an hour. West Jefferson is not a bus route on either system, though the SMART Fort Street bus route is on West Jefferson for part of its trip.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:
Well, Toronto wasn't/isn't in the automobile manufacturing business. Detroit is/was.... for more than 100 years or so.... If the people making the cars aren't buying them, that's cutting off a major market opportunity. Even if nobody else buys the cars, the locals need to buy them to keep the industry afloat

quote:

This is an ignorant line of reasoning at best. Southeast Michigan is about 1.5% of the U.S. population (never mind the global market).

Never mind that the 401 corridor is the center of Canadian auto manufacturing. Windsor, Brampton, Oshawa, Oakville, and Cambridge are all have manufacturing plants and major suppliers.

Toronto also is the financial and financial services center of Canada. They don't have all of their eggs in one basket.

Danindc

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Never mind that the 401 corridor is the center of Canadian auto manufacturing. Windsor, Brampton, Oshawa, Oakville, and Cambridge are all have manufacturing plants and major suppliers.

Stuttgart, Germany also has a pretty extensive transit network, as does Tokyo. They still manage to sell cars profitably. It's not as if Detroit is the only place where people buy cars.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have changed it from when I last road it. Grand River use to be fifteen minutes until about 7:00 PM. After that it was twenty minutes.

Same with Michigan. I guess it has been awhile though. The last time I rode the spokes, there was still a red line (downtown loop).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.