Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Lets adopt Wigle play field! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 843
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So today is where I stop pipe dreaming and start trying to make Ideas become reality.
First off I realize that although its a wonderful field Maheras just isn't in a great location for sandlot baseball.
The corridor is, and after trying to find other solutions I feel that this may be the best one.

Next, Detroit suffers from a lack of good quality parks, especially those with regulation Baseball diamonds.

Also the fact that inner city kids don't seem to take interest in baseball... Why Not, because the fields are too poorly maintained and they don't have the resources that will volunteer the time.
So now it is time to take action and it needs to start with wiggle because the only way to help clean up the corridor is to start acting within our own community.
If people know of some to contact to get permission, funds and other resources all the help is appreciated.
I am going to start trying to research for an hr or so a day and hopefully will be able too start getting volunteers out by mid summer.
Here are a couple websites I have found so far.
http://www.baseball-almanac.co m/stadium/baseball_field_const ruction.shtml

http://www.fraziersfieldrepair .com/Building_Baseball_Field.h tml
I think it only makes sense to team up with Think Detroit since they did a great job with Maheras. Any other suggestions?
-Joe

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there really a Wiggle Playfield? My great-uncle was Peter Wiggle. His was an old Detroit family. He was the state postmaster and then he was president of the Maccabees Insurance Co, which was located in what is now the Detroit Public Schools Building on Woodward. I wonder if there is a connection.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 846
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will see if it is in the Burton city history in the 1930s addition when I get home tonight I would love to know the history behind the field

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Urban.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12878
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe,

I've got some really big trash bags that are looking to fulfill their purpose. And a few spare pairs of work gloves.

When?

Cheers!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12881
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Joe,

I cannot find this on the map, could you give cross-streets or sumptin'?

Maybe THIS is where we start the campaign for new street signs warning drivers about playground activity.

Most of you don't realize the current ones are WAY obsolete. Ain't been a teeter-totter in a public playground for years and years, thanks to those mean kids who jumped off and made innocents land on their butts...and a whole gaggle of eager liability attorneys.

There is a whole generation that the sign means NOTHING to...and if we're going to keep with our anti-Darwin mantra, we need to protect them all from each other. Where's OSHA when you need 'em?!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third and Selden behind third street hardware.
Apparently it is wigle memorial playground so a few misspellings and what not but my hearts in the right spot.

http://www.yellowpages.com/map?address=third+and+selden+detroit+mi

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on May 15, 2008)

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wigle is on the Lodge just north of MLK Blvd.

Years ago when I was a kid and hockey rinks were in short supply, we used to rent time at the outdoor rink that used to be there. Across the freeway was some building with a temp/time sign on it. Seeing the actual temperature just added insult to the fact that we would often play in near or below zero weather.

Edit: As Urban says, Third and Selden are also cross streets on the other side.

(Message edited by downtownguy on May 15, 2008)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie =UTF-8&q=wigle+recreation&near =Detroit,+MI&fb=1&cid=84931993 35209414639&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

From the satellite view, it looks like the ballfields there could use some TLC.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact Hamilton Anderson Archetectural Associates. They use the field as their home field for their league. They should be willing to chip in members to help clean up and build a great field and get press in the meantime.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 848
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great info troy thanks they would be the ones to go with here in the city and that they have some connection to the field makes it that much more of an asset.

Riley484
Username: Riley484

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wigle Field is named for my Grandfather, a MOH recipient in WWII, so I was glad to see this post.

Thanks for posting this.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11743
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next to Wigle rec center. Wigle rece was previously used for voting prior to it moving to the school on the other side of the lodge.

use maps.google.com with the street view at 3644 John C. Lodge Fwy. This will be facing the field with the rec center to the left.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11744
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe - Send me an e-mail if you guys are doing anything there. Hopefully I will have time to help.

jt1_detroit@yahoo.com

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtownguy,

I played hockey back in the day at Wigle too. I remember some cold games at St Hedwig as well, but Ford Woods in Dearborn at Greenfield and Ford Rd was the worst. Back then there were no buildings around and the wind was brutal.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would love to help out, but would have to know when, was gonna help out with DobelPlayfield but things came up. I played ball alot in Detroit you could screw up and blame it on the field

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4791
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a baseball lover who was lucky enough to play in an amazing little league on the best diamonds in the state as a kid, I wish every kid that wants to play could have a great place to play. I also want to see baseball come back in Detroit, and would just like to see a neighborhood park made more presentable.

Please post on this thread or elsewhere on Dyes if there's a date(s) that you organize for work on the field, or if there's someplace we could send $.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so I follow a financial plan for myself, and set aside a portion of income for charity. I think I'm going to switch that way of thinking. The children in Africa do need help, but so does our youth here in America (plus, you never know how much of that money is going to the actual cause). I would much rather give the money to local communities for supplies on projects like this.

So, Urbanoutdoors; make a list of what needs to be done, along with a list of supplies that you will need. We can probably even get help from the rec. department. But do ask after you have the above lists.

How are the sidewalks there? Do they need weeds removed/sprayed? How about the pedestrian bridge at Selden linking those new neighborhoods. That bridge should be spotless. The more people who use it, the stronger the argument to keep it maintained.

I lived in "Coventry Gardens" in Livonia when I was younger. Some of the residents would pass out fliers and organize a Spring clean up every April/May. I know Detroit is not them, but that is a good idea, can we have that sort of pride here (many already do, but we need to pull in the ones that don't)? Lets include everyone we can in this. That way more people will really think twice about vandalism and littering in the future. Pride isn't natural here, To many people have given up. It needs to be slowly cultivated.

I don't have the time available this second. But I would be more than happy to buy and drop off (or order you some) supplies. I'd also be willing to print some fliers and send them to you if you can figure out a way to hand them out.

Maybe we could even plant a tree or two in honor of Riley484's Grandfather. Also, are there any abandoned buildings overlooking the park? If so (if anyone can find contact info), I will be more than happy to call to get permission for minor facade painting (board mural/paint).

Urbanoutdoors, thank you for carrying this one, and bringing it to light! If you get me a list I will get you some of the supplies. I'm sure a few others around here are in that same situation. Maybe post it?

Edit: Grammar

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 17, 2008)

Beach
Username: Beach

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean -

The pedestrian bridge is full of trash. People dump all sorts of terrible things at the foot of both sides.

I run by the field all the time and always find myself thinking about how great it could be. I live in Woodbridge and would love to help out, so count me in.
Ryan

email: rfbeach@gmail.com

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw... They can!

And I'm guessing there are no trash cans around those high litter areas.

The reason I am suggesting we do some minor work along the whole park/block, bridges, and perimeter walkways is mainly because of that whole broken window theory. If we are going to do the diamonds and such, let's make sure as many people in the area as possible have respect and pride for the work being put into them. That way, maybe it will be a little easier to keep up after it's done.

What do you think of a multi phase approach, Urban? What I mean is, while you guys are planning and such, others can focus on getting the grounds and walkways up to par with what you want to do with the fields. Then the work at the fields could be done in stages as well (unless you think it can all be done at once somehow, that would be great too).

Just to make sure everyone knows what I am talking about, the broken windows theory is a theory that implies that if a building is ill kept and run down with broken windows, it will instigate further blight and crime in the area. With that in mind, we should really make sure that simple things in the area are fixed up.

So basically I'm suggesting we pick a day to pick up trash, paint over graffiti, removal of dangerous debris, and pulling/spraying weeds along walkways.

May I suggest Memorial Weekend? Is that to soon or no good? Just seems like that might be a good option to at least take that first step (trash pickup and weed pulling).

Another reason I suggest planting trees or shrubs would be because of additional funding sources. We could offer to dedicate a tree with a permanent ground plak to people or companies who donate. That is... if we need to do that. It's a option to think about. You COULD do the same with parts of the field as well. But again, only if you think we would need it. Like it's said above, we need to get with groups with experience in doing this kind of stuff.

Just saying, if you guys want something really nice (which many Detroiters/Midtowners deserve just for sticking it out around here), there are tons of ways to get it done.

Oh, and is it to early to suggest follow up days six months and a year (maybe longer) from completion to evaluate/look for mistakes and check up on things?

Those aerial views look pretty bad. Any idea when those were taken? That's going to be a lot of work. But it will make midtown that much more desirable. Sorry, kind of rambling on here, this just sounds like it could really become something great.

These are all just random ideas. Keep us updated on your progress and need for help.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean,
I will contact the greening about this and I think Next Saturday would work well, say 9 am. I think there is a lot of good that can be done there now it is just in figuring out how to make the most out of our labor.
-Joe

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a fun way to get people together to come up with ideas too. Everyone would get a chance to scope it out and think of ideas.

I know I already said it, but I strongly recommend posting fliers up in surrounding neighborhoods asking for help when the time comes. Maybe try to involve as many other residents that will use the park as possible. Also, maybe try and get some scouting and church groups to lend a hand. Maybe talk to some local schools, and send a press release/letter for them to send home with students to give to their parents that live in the area. Then have small jobs like pulling weeds and stuff available for them. It will really give the kids a sense of community and they will treasure memories at those fields and therefore respect them a bit more when they become teenagers in a few years.

What do you think about doing some stuff like that? I know I'm thinking way ahead, but I've seen so many projects like this happen and then fall into disrepair a few years later. Let's make sure that doesn't happen. That scenario is a common straw that brakes some camels backs.

That area is one possible location for my future families dream house. So I'm all for helping out anyway I can. I didn't even know that there were ball fields there until you posted this. I thought it was a vacant block...

Thanks again for bringing this all to light. Is the rec center there open? I also didn't know that was there.

The things you learn on DetroitYES!... :-)

Edit: Grammar

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 17, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloa ds/btf_field_maintenance_guide .pdf

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 868
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are interested in helping out you can email me @ Josephrashid@gmail.com. Or just come by at 9 am on Saturday.

Reddog289

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i gotta get some stuff done on my garden, i,ll know by FRI nite if i can make it. wish the kids in my hood had some place other then the big yard behind me to play baseball, they do cept its a walk, now i know its not my dog getting into my okra plants.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here is the deal, I met with one of the members from Detroit Synergy Last night and am deciding to postpone the cleanup for at least a week. I want to have a ton of people out and want to be as organized as possible so the new clean up day will be 9 am on June 7th.
I will post a list of all the materials needed to clean up these fields soon. Till then shoot me emails so I can keep people posted on developments. Thanks for all the support,

Joe Rashid
Josephrashid@gmail.com

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea...people might be busy (or out of town like me) on memorial day weekend. I'll try to make it on the 7th, but have some engagements at the same time on the east side. We'll see.

Good job Joe!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't that long ago that Wigle was in pretty good shape. It was the original location for Think Detroit's first youth baseball league. Around 1999 or thereabouts.

Reddog289

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was just gonna say i, d probably better off showing up in 2weeks, should send my e-mail, told my girlfriend about this she said 'wheres the shelve,s you been putting up since Feb?'. thats a winter project, this is a good project. i,v e been seeing more kids playing base ball lately.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 603
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::Bump:::

Reddog289

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if this weekend is it i,d better get done quick with my Moms shed, he,s starting to crab about it.working on a ballfield sounds better the the family complaining about my 'honey do,s'.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 902
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I got a little ahead of myself on this one, forgetting my fiance and I already had a prior engagement for this saturday. So with that said I still want to make sure that this happens. Question I have so far are: What use if any do either of the 2 schools surrounding the field get out of it?
I am thinking June 14th will work, can people make it?
Any other comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reddog289

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hopefully i,ll make it, saturdays "wife" is at work, i,m gone don,t have to deal with the teenage girl, june 14 is ok, i should have Cubs zucinnis to him by then.

Reddog289

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, this one slipped through my mind, got Cub his zucs, almost went by the playfield last sunday {storm day]. any work being done?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 765
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes yes!

Urban, let's make this happen!

Would anyone care to help next Monday morning/afternoon before the fireworks? Maybe you could arrive early and swing by the park?

Urban, what do we need?

Maybe we could do work on it Sunday (the day before) too? This is the perfect time! The fireworks sure are a great excuse to help out. All you have to do is leave a couple hours sooner. Hopefully we will maybe get some suburbanites from this board to help out too. It's a good opportunity for them to meet some city folk, and make new friends, as well as help Detroit. Plus, you have the fireworks! So why not? You'll get to put a little sweat in, and really make a difference. Ahhhhh... hard work... then some fireworks... Freedom!.

P.S. Would Wiggly be an okay spot to watch the fireworks? I do like to feel the booms, but I wouldn't mind avoiding the traffic either.

Reddog289

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While looking at google maps i saw Wiggle playfield, damn another reminder. i see urban & sean have weddings so i can see how this has slipped through the cracks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.