Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Book Office Bldg - 8469 E. Jefferson/Burns « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know this gray building for sale on the corner of Burns/Jefferson. It looks great in the pictures but realtor says at least the back building was damaged by vandals breaking in and removing all the copper and destroying some of the walls. I was hoping this was a nicer part of Jefferson.

The building is way over-priced for now but - it looks great. Anyone seen it or been inside?

(I thought I posted this earlier but can't find it)

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's in Indian Village, so not a bad area. It's right across Burns from where I went to nursery school at the magnificent Jefferson Ave. Presbyterian. On the other side though, immediately adjacent to the property, is a supermarket. Across Jefferson is the closed (but I gather in the process of renovation) and once-magnificent Whittier Hotel. There are also a couple of very nearby parks across Jefferson with open river frontage.

Like pretty much all of the old mansions on Jefferson, this building was used as office space for decades and heavily renovated internally. I was in there when it was real estate offices and I don't remember much remaining detail beyond the entryway, although it could have been covered by drop ceilings, etc. I know nothing of the building's current state, but it has been boarded up for a few years now.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to deliver magazine copy to a graphic artist company located in the building back in the 70's. Back then in was beautiful inside with a big wide staircase, lots of rooms and a tiny elevator that I hated. I'd love to see the inside of it again.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4379
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a nicer part of Jefferson, Ocean.

I hope this gets purchased ASAP. We can't have another amazing building, operation as recently as a couple years ago, see the wrecking ball.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Designed by Louis Kamper c.1911 for James Book Jr.

Recent photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7 1288712@N00/3087174062/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also...http://www.detroit1701.com/Bur gess%20Book%20Home.html

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think that is a Cheryl Huff building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.