Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Jenny's in for a rough ride this morning « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5017
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Meet the Press today - seems the panel is a little stacked, doesn't it?
quote:

an in-depth discussion on the troubled economy with Gov. Jennifer Granholm (D-MI), Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA), Fmr. Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, Wal-Mart President & CEO Lee Scott, and Google CEO Eric Schmidt.

and @sshole Friedman's on Face the Nation
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/ftn/main3460.shtml?tag=frame;header

(Message edited by lilpup on December 14, 2008)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks to be an excellent edition of Meet the Press.

PS Dang-it...what's up with President Bush - pulling a surprise visit to Baghdad?
Mos-def don't want to see that guy get blown-up before he signs an executive bailout for the automobile industry

Lilpup

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and @sshole Friedman's on Face the Nation

scratch that - my bad - that's from last week's show

This week's Face the Nation has Carl Levin, Bob Corker, and Sherrod Brown.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4373
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, some career politicians...much better than some economist. Sigh.

I'm sure the country is eager to see another representative from Michigan grovel for their cash. Rightly or wrongly, people are going to be even more turned off from American cars after this...we're losing the entire south right now.

(Message edited by mackinaw on December 14, 2008)

Lilpup

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW Flashpoint's addressing the North-South thing today.

BUT even some Southerners have taken swipes at their pols - there are a few Big 3 plants down there.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3606
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>FWIW Flashpoint's addressing the North-South thing today.

I hope they mention that taxes from the North subsidize the South.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 888
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you notice the sign-off, "You've been watching Meet the Press, brought to you by Toyota."

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flash Point has Acura as a sponsor.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad a fault line doesn't go along the Mason-Dixon line. It would be so sad to see them drift off into the Atlantic.
"You want a life line?"
"Call Japan."

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Romney is such a tool.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed it, what was said?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://donklephant.com/2008/12 /14/meet-the-press-for-121408/

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cringed when I heard Granholm make the comment on WJR about senators being un-american for voting no on the bailout which was replayed on Meet the Press. The big 3 are going to need people buying their cars and all the good will they can get. Calling elected officials un-american isn't going to help.

I checked out some southern newspapers and not surprisingly they're not over happy with her comments.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJK said: "I cringed when I heard Granholm make the comment on WJR about senators being un-american for voting no on the bailout which was replayed on Meet the Press. The big 3 are going to need people buying their cars and all the good will they can get. Calling elected officials un-american isn't going to help.

I checked out some southern newspapers and not surprisingly they're not over happy with her comments."

So? Shelby started all this crap with his anti-GM attitude, being a protectionist for his state (region-the south), union busting and right to work theories.

I am glad our Governor got back into their face and called it what it is.

(Message edited by mama_jackson on December 14, 2008)

Lilpup

Post Number: 5028
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Props to the Wal*mart CEO for being the only person to acknowledge the complexity of the auto industry when asked if he wanted one of its leadership positions

quote:

MR. GREGORY: Lee Scott, you're stepping down as CEO and president of Walmart. It's been suggested by some hometown press that you might like to take over one of the auto companies. Is that something you're thinking about?

MR. SCOTT: No, it isn't anything that's crossed my mind at, at this point. The great thing is I'm a retailer.

MR. GREGORY: Mm-hmm.

MR. SCOTT: And, and I've, I've got a feeling that this is a lot less complex business than what you're talking about.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3899
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a candid admission. lol And, he's damned right. Considering how WalMart treats its employees and does business, we (and that includes both the employees and management, alike) wouldn't want him, anyway. There are a lot of posers out there that hate Walmart and know little to nothing about it. If they really knew the company, they'd hate it even more.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.