Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » An idea i need help with... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as all of you, I've been feeling a tsunami of emotions, most of them really sucky, over the last few weeks and especially the last 48 hours. i have sat back in awe at the monumental and unprecidented crisis our cherished city, region, state and country (yes, even you, alabama) are facing. the one thing i keep wondering is how so many people can not understand the epic toll this will take on the well-being of so many of our fellow americans, our friends, family, and neighbors. i can only assume that they don't understand it, because i refuse to believe that they understand the train wreck we're headed for but don't care to avoid it.

all around the city, in coffee shops and in line at the bank and riding on elevators, i hear stories of good people who are just trying to get by and have been up against nothing but barriers. i keep thinking that if only the people who say "let detroit die" could come here, spend time with detroiters of all backgrounds and in all lines of work that are losing their jobs, homes and savings, then maybe they'd realize that the consequences facing detroit are so much more than figures and numbers they read in the newspapers. for every headline of "so and so to cut x jobs," there are x number of families hugely affected. the people of detroit are very real, and very good people. i wish the rest of the country could see that.

anyways, sorry for the rant, i have a point. i have an idea in my head of a website that gives a voice to the people who are affected by the current situation. a scrapbook of what all of this really means for our day to day lives. people could create an entry, with a picture, their background, their story, maybe post a video clip. people need to see the faces of the victims of this crisis.

if the hundreds of thousands of people who have felt the effects of this shitstorm posted, maybe people would realize the urgency with which the auto industry must be saved.

only problem is, making websites is all latin to me. does anyone else think this is a good idea? would anyone like to help me?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better idea: take a vacation. Down south or out west. You'll feel better and understand why no one cares about Michigan and the auto industry.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My heart goes out to you, Ruxy. Many of us have been out of our minds with worry over this loan issue.

Problem is, when an issue is this emotional, people aren't using reason to guide their judgement. They won't listen to outcomes. They only care about what they're feeling and what they believe is the truth.
*hug*

Mikem

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Problem is, when an issue is this emotional, people aren't using reason to guide their judgement. They only care about what they're feeling and what they believe is the truth.

Problem is (for a lot on this forum), many aren't using emotions to guide their judgement, but instead only care about what they believe is the truth.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey thanks mikem.

if you'd like to debate the issues surrounding the bailout, there are plenty of other threads to choose from.

Mikem

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'm dropping in on them too, but there's too much hysteria to sort through. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but please, suck it up people.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 580
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruxy17, it may be more therapeutic if we all shit in an envelope and send it to Senator Shelby.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like some total hippy bullshit, but Ill help out. Power to the people even if it is hippy related.

I have basic web knowledge, and can make a page. You just have to tell me what you want and how you want it set up. Email:

patrick.batemen@gmail.com

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9026
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, I'm dropping in on them too, but there's too much hysteria to sort through. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but please, suck it up people.

People are scared, and rightfully so. Love the Big 3 or hate them, this is some serious shit to a lot of people around here, and we don't even know how bad it will be. Can't blame them for being a little frantic. I'm bumming about a small bonus this year, other people are going to lose their house and wonder how they will take care of their children they way they were hoping to. I don't work for an auto company, I don't have auto companies or suppliers as clients, and neither do my clients. Yet I'm still worried about what's going to happen. You have that many unemployed people, and it gets real hard for anybody to make a living.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One simple suggestion is to get a blog on www.Wordpress.com. It's real easy to add content as you describe. And if it's like the Wordpress software I use, you can allow people to register ("contributers") and post their stories. You could act as editor and approve them before they showed up on the site.

It's free, too.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i have a point. i have an idea in my head of a website that gives a voice to the people who are affected by the current situation. a scrapbook of what all of this really means for our day to day lives. people could create an entry, with a picture, their background, their story, maybe post a video clip. people need to see the faces of the victims of this crisis.

I would be concerned about the potential for exploitation by predatory charlatans and perhaps thieves who would attempt to take advantage of the desperation and vulnerability of people posting their stories of financial struggles and joblessness online. Not a good idea to post pictures that would ID their location at home or where they work, IMO, or reveal too much about themselves and their families. I have discovered the true identity and work/home locations of people who were only using anonymous SNs on internet messageboards, just by using the personal tidbits that they voluntarily revealed over a period of time.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders, thank you for putting into written word, what many want to say.

Sometimes ya have to stop and think, "What the fuck am I thinking?"

Fix your think, and think your fix. I cannot think of a finer descripton than "exploitation".

The Elected Officials of The United States Of America are exploiting the Folks. I would rather starve to death than to succumb to falseness and hypocrity. The choice - is ours.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruxy, with thirty four posts I am late in saying welcome!

Anyhow, your post meant a lot to me. I live in the Ozarks in Arkansas, originally from Detroit with GM family members. That notwithstanding we have a GM dealership in Green Forest that is being closed (owner said wanted to close and GM said ok, but you can't sell it). Green Forest Arkansas is a small town with not another GM dealership within 100 miles. That means that if these people who purchase GM vehicles cannot go to a dealership without having to take a day off from work. There are many people affected from this closure of ONE dealership.

The manager of the place has a family. He has a home that he makes payments on. If he wants to continue living here (a beautiful place) it will be almost impossible for him to find another job. There are restaurants, stores, schools that rely on this one dealership for financial support.

Don't think this makes sense? Come to Green Forest, Arkansas and ask around. These are hard working Americans who do not want a hand out. Everyone is affected and I can't see how Sen. Shelby and the other Republican representatives can let us down. When the dealerships go out of business FED EX and UPS have less deliveries. This in turn affects the UPS and FED EX employees which affects the stores and grocery stores in our areas which means the whole frickin' economy goes to sh#$. Watch it happen.

The Auto Industry affects every part of all of our lives. This is beyond the pale.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruxy17, frankly I have no doubt to think mikem IS serious...if you took a ride you'd see the whole country, hell, the whole WORLD is hurting. I quit counting the dealerships that have gone down out here in Southern Cal-it's @ least a dozen-some here on "Route 66"...if that's not the "Main Street" that Chicago Machine pol on the eastern end of it kept blathering about I dunno what is. Why didn't everybody get off their dead ass back there in '74 during the Arab Oil Embargo & realized ho fragile the local industry was? Was it just easier back then to blame Ford, Nixon, whoever?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.