Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mayor of Lansing... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen this guy (Virgil Bernero) on TV news programs talking about the car loan/auto industry and have been quite impressed by him. He's one of the better domestic automobile advocates that I've seen.

Anyone familiar with his work in running Lansing?
He's only in his mid 40's so I could see him as a rising star in Michigan politics. He's got one negative that I can see is that it would be an understatement to say that he's not very photogenic.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candice Miller is NOT photogenic either and she was Sec of State, congresswomen ect...She's downright scary looking at times.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5102
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that too Rjk. He is outstanding in interviews - informed, concise and personable.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has a future in Michigan politics even though there was an unsuccessful recall attempt to oust him in late 2006. The votes fell short.
He is a good guy----should be, he was born in Pontiac.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really think he has done a great job in Lansing, always looking out for what is best for the City. He doesn't always act smoothly though, which usually stirs up controversy.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's not a thing wrong with his looks. I checked out his photo as I thought there might be a horn growing out of his forehead.

Silly kids...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had the Lansing mayor on CNN just now -- a clip -- and he was very articulate, talking about his parents as GM retirees, and why should Senators get rich benefits, but not auto workers?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3887
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansingite, here.

Virg is a mixed bag. He's a steamroller, with a mouth like an automatic weapon, and this is both good and bad. At this moment, it's a very good thing. I've been impressed. But, he's somewhat of a dictator, that has rubbed the city council and many of his opponents (and even some of his supporters) the wrong way. He gets stuff done, though.

He's originally from Pontiac, but has been in Lansing most of his adult life. He worked up from a legislative aid, to a state rep, then a state sen, then to mayor, which has got him called an office hopper. It's my personal belief that he'll eventually run for governor, and he's young enough to pull it off. He's excellent at seeming both pro-union and pro-business; a Democrat who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative (he's a big budget cutter who hasn't raised taxes).

He's got an interesting background. His dad was originally from Italy, and his mother was the child of Italian immigrants. He points to his gay brother dying from AIDS and another brother who suffered severe schitzophrenia as to the reasons he got into politics.

All in all, he's a good guy.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my parents who live in Southwest Lansing rave about Bernero. They feel that even though the city is being hit extremely hard, just like the rest of the state, he is focused on minimalizing the impact on the residents.

I left Lansing just as he took office, but when I go back to visit family I am always impressed to see the neighborhoods in just the same condition, if not better, then when I left.

He has done a good job of working adaptive reuse of a couple of empty downtown properties and has actually improved city services to the SW side. I cant speak for the rest of the city, but as far as I've seen he helps provide peace of mind in hard times.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.