Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Service Envelope Mfg. Co. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I'm driving to and fro on I-94 I notice that there are a lot of lights on in there. Is somebody fixing that place up?

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be good, could be bad. They seem to be pulling out the factory sash glazing, then reducing the size of the masonry openings with concrete block, where they will probably put in the cheapest vinyl window possible.

There should be a term for this - "downwindowing"?

Ordinary

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are more observant than I am. I imagine they're probably doing that because of vandalism. Remember when all the neighborhood bars had big picture windows? One would be hard pressed to find that in Metro Detroit anymore.
I wonder when the last time anything productive happened in there or when it was actually an envelope factory.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7246
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Jjaba.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was an envelope factory up till the early 90`s. I used to deliver freight to them. Now, it is a used truck part salvage place. They cut up heavy duty trucks, axles, transmissions, etc and sell the parts.

Ordinary

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pgn421. Is it still going to remain a truck part salvage place?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe so. Ihave been watching the progress , same as you. I saw it a couple weeks ago, while i was in a traffic jam on the eastbound side. I saw them working on the second floor

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.