Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » How you know things are REALLY bad « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tough assignment for a reporter; if you read the whole article he had to investigate the consequences of the economic downturn in at least two of the same kind of place. Here's the lead:

"Strip clubs feel the economic squeeze
Jim Irwin / Associated Press

DETROIT -- How bad are things around the Motor City? So bad that even Jon Jon's Cabaret is offering half-off deals.

The topless club in the suburb of Warren -- where General Motors and Chrysler employ upwards of 20,000 people -- cut the cost of a table dance in half, from $20 to $10, in mid-November. The dancer gets all the money plus any tips, while food and drinks generate the club's income, general manager Kelly Sander said Tuesday."

...and they say the days of great print journalism are behind us.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9791
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of dancers I know have been bitching a lot about the downturn in tips lately, as well.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's J+J engineering to the folks at the tech center....as in, "i have an offsite meeting a j+j engineering this afternoon"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article was sent to me by a friend today as well. Funny how the important news comes to you from all angles.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, JJ's is becoming as affordable as the Traffic Light. Buddy of mine and I used to go to the Light every so often for our self proclaimed "best time in town for $20" ($3 cover. $6 drink. $10 dance + $1 tip = $20!)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with the story?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.